Law School Discussion

ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility

Re: ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2008, 07:11:06 AM »
To the BC students who've already answered a ton of q's (and thanks again for that):

I had a chance to visit the campus recently, and while I came away with a generally great impression, one aspect really disappointed me - the commute. While many law schools go out of their way to put housing, gym, etc. within spitting distance of the law school, I was dismayed that most students (who come from the Harvard stop) have a nearly 40 minute door to door commute, and that it involves a train and a shuttle which usually require a wait. Others have an even longer commute it seems. And the area closest to the final BC T stop doesn't seem to offer much at all in terms of quality of life.

During 1L when time is at a premium, the thought of spending 1 hr 15 minutes commuting each day in the cold is really unappealing. Is there something I'm missing, because it didn't really seem to faze the students there? Also, do you have any recommendations for someone who wishes to have as small a commute as possible and wants to live very close to a gym?

thanks for any input.

« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2008, 09:29:31 AM »
How hard is it to get a grad housing apartment?

« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2008, 04:09:56 PM »
ha. haven't heard back from them yet (and growing less optimistic):(

« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2008, 04:57:23 PM »
For BU, do they offer merit aid after the first year?  I know GW has a few awards they give out to the top 1L students, does BU have something similar?

Thanks.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 29, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
To the BC students who've already answered a ton of q's (and thanks again for that):

I had a chance to visit the campus recently, and while I came away with a generally great impression, one aspect really disappointed me - the commute. While many law schools go out of their way to put housing, gym, etc. within spitting distance of the law school, I was dismayed that most students (who come from the Harvard stop) have a nearly 40 minute door to door commute, and that it involves a train and a shuttle which usually require a wait. Others have an even longer commute it seems. And the area closest to the final BC T stop doesn't seem to offer much at all in terms of quality of life.

During 1L when time is at a premium, the thought of spending 1 hr 15 minutes commuting each day in the cold is really unappealing. Is there something I'm missing, because it didn't really seem to faze the students there? Also, do you have any recommendations for someone who wishes to have as small a commute as possible and wants to live very close to a gym?

thanks for any input.

I'm going to respond to the bolded part first

I live right by the last BC T stop, a 4 minute walk or so to the shuttle, no T required.  I have a huge half-house, parking, a side yard and a pond in my back yard.  At the other end of the street is washington st. which has a bunch of bars, food, coffee shops etc.  Also a gym above the starbucks.  Thats all abotu a 2 minute walk away.  And then there is the T right there if you ever need to get downtown.

Now, as for the hour and 15 minute commute, that is a drastic overstatement.  If you are going to BC you will not want to live as far up Comm Ave as Harvard T stop, you will want to live in the Cleveland Circle area (another great spot right by BC with bars, food, private gym, etc.).  You will have a 10 - 15 minute total T ride, including waiting, in the morning (2 stops from Cleveland Circle to BC), and then another 10 minutes waiting and riding the shuttle.  If you are taking the T from Harvard ave to BU (central is the law school stop) the transit time will not be much different because the Green Line stops for traffic.

so yeah, I wouldn't say that the commute fazes pepole because it is not nearly as long as you percieve, so long as you don't live too far away from the school (and you don't have to).

But anyways, don't pick your school because of the living situation ... trust me, you will find a way to make it work wherever you end up.

--

Now, did someone  ask about law prom?  yeah, it is exactly what it sounds like...

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: March 29, 2008, 09:51:01 AM »
To the BU kids: Is the 1L Legal Writing Seminar graded?

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 29, 2008, 11:44:57 AM »
RE: Law Prom

It's a good time. Posh digs, everyone dressed to the nines, and lots of flasks.

« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2008, 12:44:33 PM »

thanks for any input.

I'm going to respond to the bolded part first

I live right by the last BC T stop, a 4 minute walk or so to the shuttle, no T required.  I have a huge half-house, parking, a side yard and a pond in my back yard.  At the other end of the street is washington st. which has a bunch of bars, food, coffee shops etc.  Also a gym above the starbucks.  Thats all abotu a 2 minute walk away.  And then there is the T right there if you ever need to get downtown.

Now, as for the hour and 15 minute commute, that is a drastic overstatement.  If you are going to BC you will not want to live as far up Comm Ave as Harvard T stop, you will want to live in the Cleveland Circle area (another great spot right by BC with bars, food, private gym, etc.).  You will have a 10 - 15 minute total T ride, including waiting, in the morning (2 stops from Cleveland Circle to BC), and then another 10 minutes waiting and riding the shuttle.  If you are taking the T from Harvard ave to BU (central is the law school stop) the transit time will not be much different because the Green Line stops for traffic.

so yeah, I wouldn't say that the commute fazes pepole because it is not nearly as long as you percieve, so long as you don't live too far away from the school (and you don't have to).

But anyways, don't pick your school because of the living situation ... trust me, you will find a way to make it work wherever you end up.

--

Now, did someone  ask about law prom?  yeah, it is exactly what it sounds like...

Bamf, given your current living situation, do you drive to school or walk to the shuttle and take that? 

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2008, 02:05:14 PM »
Hmmm . . . what if you DO want to live that far up Comm Ave. because you have an aversion to the 'burbs?  Is it feasible?  Does anyone do that at all?

And yeah, Cosmo, the DC metro is a wonderland, as I think I've stated a million times on here . . . <3 <3 <3

I think you need to be realistic. Your 1L year, most of your time will be spent on-campus in class or studying at the library. When you have your weekends, you can go downtown via the T or a cab.

I'd also say that Cleveland Circle and Brighton in general is definitely not the Burbs and within the Boston city limits. The point is that you can live in Boston and still commute to the law school campus easily. I would recommend a car though.

2L year, people move all over the place. Some are in Cambridge or in downtown Boston.

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 29, 2008, 02:48:25 PM »
Hmmm . . . what if you DO want to live that far up Comm Ave. because you have an aversion to the 'burbs?  Is it feasible?  Does anyone do that at all?

And yeah, Cosmo, the DC metro is a wonderland, as I think I've stated a million times on here . . . <3 <3 <3

I think you need to be realistic. Your 1L year, most of your time will be spent on-campus in class or studying at the library. When you have your weekends, you can go downtown via the T or a cab.

I'd also say that Cleveland Circle and Brighton in general is definitely not the Burbs and within the Boston city limits. The point is that you can live in Boston and still commute to the law school campus easily. I would recommend a car though.

2L year, people move all over the place. Some are in Cambridge or in downtown Boston.

It's less that I feel like I need to be close to the city to go out, and more that I just don't want to live in the burbs on a day to day basis . . . hard to explain, just take my word for it.  I guess I'll just have to visit and see how I like the neighborhoods, what feels suburban to me might feel more "city" to someone else, and vice versa.

So I'm guessing that you're saying that 1L year is too busy for it to be feasible?  I mean, are you suggesting that Brighton is that closest possible option to the city?

I know this sounds bad, but this is making me worried enough about my quality of life that I'm now starting to think about UMaryland since it's in Baltimore proper . . .   :'( 

First, I agree that you should see all your choices in person before making a decision.

Second, Brighton is a neighborhood within Boston. For all the BC neighborhood bashing out there, the law school is less than two miles from Brighton, and the undergrad campus straddles the city line.

Third, if you're considering taking U-MD over BC because of the desirability of living in Baltimore, you have a different set of criteria than most law school applicants. Having spent a fair amount of time in Baltimore from DC days, I can honestly say it's not that impressive, and much less of a "city" than Boston. More importantly, the job prospects coming out will be much better from BC which enjoys a significantly better reputation regionally and nationally.

It's important to go to school at a place where you feel comfortable, but the most important factor should be the education you're receiving and the job prospects you have afterward. If "quality of life" is your biggest concern in choosing a law school, BC is about as good as you're going to get. I'd put UVA, and some west coast schools up there as well, but you're about to sign up for a grueling experience regardless of where you're headed.