Law School Discussion

ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
Re: ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2008, 05:04:21 AM »
Agreed.  Props to Nuke and Stuje for presenting a fair and balanced view.  Unfortunately, I suspect that the BU/BC discussion will get ugly again once usnews releases its new ranking. 

Congrats on the summer offer by the way.

« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2008, 12:06:13 PM »

Thanks.  It was more luck than merit. 

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2008, 01:34:50 PM »

Thanks.  It was more luck than merit. 

I'm sure it was more than that, but regardless, it's a great spot to be in and should put you in the driver's seat from here forward.

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2008, 08:56:56 PM »
WOOOHOO! I just made BU! I think I am going to attend. Where do you nice folks live?

« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2008, 02:50:59 AM »
WOOOHOO! I just made BU! I think I am going to attend. Where do you nice folks live?

Wow, congrats!

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2008, 05:36:45 AM »

Wow, congrats!
TYTY Are you contemplating attending? I think I will end up there...

« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2008, 02:32:27 PM »

Wow, congrats!

It is one of my top choices.  I have not decided yet though.  I really like Florida, Miami, and USD.  I am waiting on two possible new scholarships from UF and Miami, and USD gave me more money than I expected.

Where else are you considering?

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »

Wow, congrats!

It is one of my top choices.  I have not decided yet though.  I really like Florida, Miami, and USD.  I am waiting on two possible new scholarships from UF and Miami, and USD gave me more money than I expected.

Wait, are you serious? You are gonna turn down for UF Miami and USD? You crazy?! There are no bears at those schools!

Basically it's BU for me unless UVA gives me a miracle or I get off the Duke WL.

« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2008, 03:48:17 PM »

Wow, congrats!

Wait, are you serious? You are gonna turn down for UF Miami and USD? You crazy?! There are no bears at those schools!

Basically it's BU for me unless UVA gives me a miracle or I get off the Duke WL.

I will give you a few reasons of the reasons why I might do so.  Please notice I use the word "might."

1) Tuition at BU is $36,000/yr., is it not?  My scholarship is for $15,000, which is nice, but that means I'm paying $21,000 in tuition alone, let alone the living expenses, etc.

2) COL in Boston is exorbitant, and houses are VERY expensive there.

3) It's cold.  Honestly, I hate the cold, but I tolerate it well.

4) Being at the bottom half of the class at BU would scare me, from reading what people from BU have said. 

5) I'm honestly considering public interest law.  That means I want to keep my debt low if possible. 

6) USD has a program called the Children's Advocacy Institute.  It's a major lobbying group in CA and clinical program to protect children's rights.  (My job currently ties into this clinic.)

7) USD has given me a nice package of scholasships AND work-study. I would only be paying ten grand/yr. there in tuition.

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2008, 03:51:13 PM »
I wanna work in PI too, and am risking a lot by going and turning down 90k at Tulane (which is a school that I LOVE) BTW, but BU is absolutely fantastic. I spent 2 hours today with a grad at my Biglaw firm talking about the school. He was extatic with his experience there.

I dunno, dude. You should really think about it. Out of all of these schools, only BU will give you the flexibility to leave it's home market. That's worth a LOT.

Edit: Also, there will be bears there!  ;)