Law School Discussion

ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility

Stuje1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2008, 08:24:20 PM »

I wanted to speak to a faculty member, is there one in particular that would be open to questions from admitted students, or will these kinds of opportunities be available during the ASD?

Nuke did as good a job as I could discussing Enviro law (not my specialty), but I just wanted to add that Prof. Plater would probably be the best person to speak to about the field.   I have no idea how responsive he would be, but he is certainly the most well known prof in the field here and is really into enviro law (he heads the Environmental law journal and moot ct team)
http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/fac-staff/deans-faculty/platerz.html

« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2008, 06:55:28 PM »
Which school, BC or BU, places better in NYC?

Also, USNEWS stated last year that only 77% of BC's grads are employed upon graduation, how true is that?

« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2008, 08:11:41 PM »

I wanted to speak to a faculty member, is there one in particular that would be open to questions from admitted students, or will these kinds of opportunities be available during the ASD?

Nuke did as good a job as I could discussing Enviro law (not my specialty), but I just wanted to add that Prof. Plater would probably be the best person to speak to about the field.   I have no idea how responsive he would be, but he is certainly the most well known prof in the field here and is really into enviro law (he heads the Environmental law journal and moot ct team)
http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/fac-staff/deans-faculty/platerz.html

Thanks STUJE1 and NUKELAW! Prof Plater seems amazing! Anyway, I think that I will be going to BC. I applied to the PS scholarship too. Can't wait to go to the ASD!

« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2008, 08:23:37 PM »
Also what is eagleonline?

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2008, 08:32:24 PM »

Also, USNEWS stated last year that only 77% of BC's grads are employed upon graduation, how true is that?

You'll have the same NYC prospects coming from BC or BU. The two schools conduct a joint off-campus recruitment program in August, so I think this shouldn't be a factor.

As for US News, I'll save my complete thoughts on that system, but the 77% figure is misleading. Partly it reflects an inability to get surveys returned to career services in time, but it also reflects the fact that many folks at BC choose to do public interest/government jobs that don't give offers until after passage of the bar. I'd look at the 6 or 9 months after graduation rate as more accurate.

Stuje1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2008, 08:34:20 PM »
edit note: Nuke posted at almost the exact same time as me, so sorry if my comments are a little repetitive

I think they place the same in NYC, in that they both have the same opportunities and are looked at the same.  However, I think BU has more students in NYC by choice.   BU seems to be a bit more of a NYC transplant school while more BC kids tend to stay in Boston.  NYC is a huge destination for BC though (our 2nd biggest location) and I know a ton of people that had good success there.

I am not sure what the deal with that low # is, but it is definitely a big reason our rankings took a hit.  I saw the new #s last month, and I think it was around 86% for the last class.   So definitely improved on that front.   One possible explanation is that we have a larger percentage that do Public Interest, which don't give job offers until later in the season.   Of course that doesn't explain all of it, but maybe some.  In any event, the #s 6 and 9 months out are in the high 90s%.

Thanks STUJE1 and NUKELAW! Prof Plater seems amazing! Anyway, I think that I will be going to BC. I applied to the PS scholarship too. Can't wait to go to the ASD!

Congrats!   You won't be disappointed, I promise (I actually just asked a 1L tonight, who I had convinced to come, if she had made the right choice and she gave me an emphatic "definitely!")  I will see you at ASD and let me know if you have any more qs.

Eagleionline is an unofficial law school news blog that is run by BC law students.   It is pretty cool to keep up to date on all the happenings at BC.  It was a bit controversial, since it originally allowed for anyone on the internet to anonymously post, but now comments are limited to BC students (though the articles are open to anyone).

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2008, 08:34:36 PM »

Eagleionline is the BC Law student blog. It's independent of the school and receives no funding from it. Some 3L's started it last year and it's really taken off this year in light of the alumni council restructuring and the selection of Attorney General Mukasey as this year's commencement speaker.

« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2008, 07:08:22 AM »
note: Nuke posted at almost the exact same time as me, so sorry if my comments are a little repetitive

I think the place the same in NYC, in that they both have the same opportunities and are looked at the same.  However, I think BU has more students in NYC by choice.   BU seems to be a bit more of a NYC transplant school while more BC kids tens to stay in Boston.  NYC is a huge destination for BC though (our 2nd biggest location) and I know a ton of epople that had good success there.

Agreed.  Props to Nuke and Stuje for presenting a fair and balanced view.  Unfortunately, I suspect that the BU/BC discussion will get ugly again once usnews releases its new ranking. 

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2008, 05:01:28 PM »
I am interested in the environmental law program. Obviously since BC has an environmental law program, that must mean that this area is one of its strengths. I would like to know more about it besides what the website says. The Certificate in Env and Land Use Law is given through the Environmental Law Society. From what I have looked at the ELS, it seems the BC ELS is very loosely organized. I know there is an EA Law Review as well, etc.

Can anyone expound upon the env. law faculty and the quality of the env law program? Also is the BC env law program competitive with the lower tier law schools that are the best in env law (Pace, Lewis and Clark, Vermont, and Colorado- though Colorado isn't lower tier)? I am wondering because I'm considering heavy scholarships at those colleges and a full tuition at Pace.

Nuke mostly covered everything in his post, but I thought I would weigh in as a envirolaw person ...
I dont think that you can overstate how awesome Prof. Plater is.  I mean, this guy argued, and won, the most important Endangered Species Act case before the Supreme Court.  He authored one of the most used ELaw texts and is an editor of the other.  You wont hear universal praise from 1Ls because he is a little off the wall and definitely a very progressive guy, but I thought his class was amazing and I can't wait to study with him again.  It is a credit to BC that we have kept him, and not only that, but he is the professor that is the most committed to BC that I have had yet.

So there is indeed an Environmental Law Cirtificate that is run through ELS.  It basically just says that you took a certain number of credits in land use and environmental regulation.  There is also an optional program for 1Ls in Environmental Regulatory Skills.  It is basically a lecture series on environmental regulatory law basics, and you get a certificate in Regulatory Skills that you can talk about in interviews.  It is run by a grad (Triple Eagle, in fact) who brings in practitioners from big firms, local boutiques, regulatory agencies and non profits.  It has been a really cool experience so far, and is also an opportunity to network with some bigwigs in New England-area ELaw.

Along the same lines, one new piece of news that I don't think has been mentioned is that next year BC is getting rid of the ethics/ skills class ("Introduction to Lawyering and Professional Responsibility) and allowing 1Ls to take an elective course during the second semester.  Aside from being furious that they did not implement this for my 1L, I think this is very cool.  Its not a huge deal, but is definitely something to weigh.  If, for example, you are applying for a 1L summer job with the EPA or the SEC it is nice to be able to tell prospective employers that you are already taking a course in ELaw or securities regulation.

« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »
I am interested in the environmental law program. Obviously since BC has an environmental law program, that must mean that this area is one of its strengths. I would like to know more about it besides what the website says. The Certificate in Env and Land Use Law is given through the Environmental Law Society. From what I have looked at the ELS, it seems the BC ELS is very loosely organized. I know there is an EA Law Review as well, etc.

Can anyone expound upon the env. law faculty and the quality of the env law program? Also is the BC env law program competitive with the lower tier law schools that are the best in env law (Pace, Lewis and Clark, Vermont, and Colorado- though Colorado isn't lower tier)? I am wondering because I'm considering heavy scholarships at those colleges and a full tuition at Pace.

Nuke mostly covered everything in his post, but I thought I would weigh in as a envirolaw person ...
I dont think that you can overstate how awesome Prof. Plater is.  I mean, this guy argued, and won, the most important Endangered Species Act case before the Supreme Court.  He authored one of the most used ELaw texts and is an editor of the other.  You wont hear universal praise from 1Ls because he is a little off the wall and definitely a very progressive guy, but I thought his class was amazing and I can't wait to study with him again.  It is a credit to BC that we have kept him, and not only that, but he is the professor that is the most committed to BC that I have had yet.

So there is indeed an Environmental Law Cirtificate that is run through ELS.  It basically just says that you took a certain number of credits in land use and environmental regulation.  There is also an optional program for 1Ls in Environmental Regulatory Skills.  It is basically a lecture series on environmental regulatory law basics, and you get a certificate in Regulatory Skills that you can talk about in interviews.  It is run by a grad (Triple Eagle, in fact) who brings in practitioners from big firms, local boutiques, regulatory agencies and non profits.  It has been a really cool experience so far, and is also an opportunity to network with some bigwigs in New England-area ELaw.

Along the same lines, one new piece of news that I don't think has been mentioned is that next year BC is getting rid of the ethics/ skills class ("Introduction to Lawyering and Professional Responsibility) and allowing 1Ls to take an elective course during the second semester.  Aside from being furious that they did not implement this for my 1L, I think this is very cool.  Its not a huge deal, but is definitely something to weigh.  If, for example, you are applying for a 1L summer job with the EPA or the SEC it is nice to be able to tell prospective employers that you are already taking a course in ELaw or securities regulation.

Why thank you BAMF! I did read the EagleOnline.. Seems Mukasey has brought around quite a bit of controversy there! Anyway I can't wait to go to ASD! I'll surprise you; I haven't been to BOSTON EVER!