Law School Discussion

ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility

Re: ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2008, 06:29:26 PM »
Anybody still around from BU?

I'm a bit worried about the building itself.  When I visited in July, they were working on it a bit.  Are they still updating any part of the building?  Also, how have your interactions with career services gone?

Thanks.

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2008, 05:20:24 AM »
Are there a fair amount of people using Mac's at BC?  I know BC now allows you to use a Mac on their exams (if you have Intel chips), but I'm not sure if they "support" it or just "allow" it.  Any feedback on whether it's dicey to have a Mac?

As one of those on an old iMac (pre-Bootcamp), I am unable to do exams on my everyday laptop. I borrow my wife's even older PC laptop, while others sign up for a desktop in the computer labs.

The definitive site for all Mac law school exam software questions is: http://www.maclawstudents.com/blog/law-school-exam-software/

I've heard an unsubstantiated rumor that Examsoft will work in a native Mac OS setting next year from another student, but everything I've read says that you can still only use an intel-based Mac running bootcamp. This isn't an issue for anyone that's bought a Mac in the past two years (when all Macs began to have intel chips), and will be a non-issue as the older Macs get phased out of use.

Bouzie

• yummy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2008, 04:28:35 PM »
Hey BU/BC peeps -- I'm looking for a summer sublet in Boston (south end/brookline/backbay)-- PM me if you or anyone you know is trying to sublet.   THANKS!

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2008, 08:53:17 AM »
Bump for folks trying to make decisions.

rolls

« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2008, 02:24:54 PM »
I did a keyword search for the question, and as nothing notable came up excuse my ignorance if there is already some comment out there on this...
Can you both comment on your perception of the level of diversity at your schools?
Also, kudos for reviving this thread, it was necessary.
Thanks!

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2008, 06:19:20 PM »
I did a keyword search for the question, and as nothing notable came up excuse my ignorance if there is already some comment out there on this...
Can you both comment on your perception of the level of diversity at your schools?
Also, kudos for reviving this thread, it was necessary.
Thanks!

The BC Law info on diversity is at http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/about/diversity.html

As for specific numbers, the profile of this year's 1L's is at http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/admission/profile.html

Overall, I'd say BC does the best it can to promote diversity. I think the lack of diversity in the Boston legal market as a whole can be attributed to historical perceptions of Boston as a predominantly white city w/ less tolerance and diversity than other Northeast cities.

I can't really speak to the situation at BU.

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2008, 06:20:49 PM »
What are the stereotypes for BC & BU L's? What type of students would you find at one or the other? Or are both populated by the same types of students, just attending schools of different monikers?

Are you applying to BC or BU? Your LSN says otherwise.

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2008, 05:56:57 PM »
It's hard to generalize any group of people when you get around 800 or so.

BC's traditional reputation has been one of collegiality. A few years ago, the Princeton Review dubbed it the "Disneyland of Law Schools." As I've told others, law school will be a miserable experience wherever you attend -- some are just less miserable than others.

Personally, I've made some good friends and enjoyed my social interactions in law school. I'm sure I could have had similar experiences elsewhere, but almost universally my classmates appear to have positive impressions about their peers on the Newton campus.

« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2008, 06:14:14 PM »
I am interested in the environmental law program. Obviously since BC has an environmental law program, that must mean that this area is one of its strengths. I would like to know more about it besides what the website says. The Certificate in Env and Land Use Law is given through the Environmental Law Society. From what I have looked at the ELS, it seems the BC ELS is very loosely organized. I know there is an EA Law Review as well, etc.

Can anyone expound upon the env. law faculty and the quality of the env law program? Also is the BC env law program competitive with the lower tier law schools that are the best in env law (Pace, Lewis and Clark, Vermont, and Colorado- though Colorado isn't lower tier)? I am wondering because I'm considering heavy scholarships at those colleges and a full tuition at Pace.

I wanted to speak to a faculty member, is there one in particular that would be open to questions from admitted students, or will these kinds of opportunities be available during the ASD?

Sorry, so many questions. I appreciate it!

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2008, 07:00:07 PM »
I am interested in the environmental law program. Obviously since BC has an environmental law program, that must mean that this area is one of its strengths. I would like to know more about it besides what the website says. The Certificate in Env and Land Use Law is given through the Environmental Law Society. From what I have looked at the ELS, it seems the BC ELS is very loosely organized. I know there is an EA Law Review as well, etc.

Can anyone expound upon the env. law faculty and the quality of the env law program? Also is the BC env law program competitive with the lower tier law schools that are the best in env law (Pace, Lewis and Clark, Vermont, and Colorado- though Colorado isn't lower tier)? I am wondering because I'm considering heavy scholarships at those colleges and a full tuition at Pace.

I wanted to speak to a faculty member, is there one in particular that would be open to questions from admitted students, or will these kinds of opportunities be available during the ASD?

Sorry, so many questions. I appreciate it!

I would be very careful about choosing a law school because of their "specialty." In my experience, specialty rankings are pretty much worthless.

For the little bit I know about the environmental folks, the EALR is arguably the second most prestigious of the BC law journals since it has been around longer than the other secondary journals and was one of the first Enviro law journals nationwide. As you've probably found already, the general environmental law page at BC is probably a good place to start to find out more: http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/services/academic/programs/environmentallaw.html

I also know that the Urban Ecology Institute is located at the law school, but I don't know that there is any formal connection with BC Law (http://www.urbaneco.org/).

As for choosing a school, if you think you'll be doing non-profit/public-interest work (including government regulatory agencies like EPA), I'd advise you to do whatever you can to lower your loans so that you won't be coerced into taking a biglaw job. At BC, there are some options like the 2/3 tuition public service scholarships which you should apply for if you haven't already (http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/admission/finaid/scholloans.html#publicservicescholarship).

As a final thought, you may try directly getting in touch with folks at the Environmental Law Society to have them answer your questions. Current contact info for the officers is at http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/services/studentorgs/els.html

Sorry I can't be of more help.  :-\