Law School Discussion

ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility
« on: November 21, 2007, 09:07:42 AM »
Two LSDers try to bring peace to this conflict ... D, you in?

People are often considering both schools ... here you can ask questions about either/ both.  No fighting.  No broad statements about a school that the poster doesn't attend.  Just plain old first hand experiences as we enter finals and 1L job search time.

Re: ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 09:51:45 AM »
Two LSDers try to bring peace to this conflict ... D, you in?

People are often considering both schools ... here you can ask questions about either/ both.  No fighting.  No broad statements about a school that the poster doesn't attend.  Just plain old first hand experiences as we enter finals and 1L job search time.

Sounds good to me.  I'll try to keep my hostile personality in check even when provoked.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 10:20:19 AM »

According to this, BU seems to be one of the most academically difficult schools in the country.  Do you think this is the case, and do you think BU students work significantly harder than BC students?

Do you think there are notable differences between the student bodies at the two school?  (Demographics, personality, etc)

These are the kinds of questions we really can't answer, as we only attend one of the schools.
However, I think you are drawing some overstated conclusions from the data that your provided in that link ... I mean, look at the list of schools that reported the highest number of hours spent studying ... other than CU and BU do you really think that list represents the "most academically difficult schools in the country?"  Also note that the difference in hours between #20 and #146 is only a little more than an hour.  Not a huge difference.
Be careful with princeton review surveys and stats, they seem pretty shady all around...

How much better is BU's access to Boston nightlife than BC's?  Is it possible to take a subway or anything out/back from BC?

What are the pros/cons of the location for each school?

In terms of nightlife, I don't think there is really a difference in location ... besides, you aren't going to be leaving from school (most of the time, anyways) when you go to the bars, so I don't think this is an issue.  I've met a bunch of BU kids and they all seem to live in about the same area as BC kids ... I'll bet half of our collective student bodies live on or just off of Comm Ave, which is on the B line.

For BC there are a bunch of options for housing ... you can live on Comm Ave in Brighton or Allston, or over on Beacon in Brookline.  I live in a more residential part of Brighton, right by the BC main campus and a 2 minute drive from the law campus.  Some people live in Newton, which is more suburban.  Depends on whether you have a car.
Plenty of people don't drive, though.  It is easy to hop on the T to the BC main campus and then grab the shuttle over to the law campus ... it doesn't take any longer than it would if the T ran straight to the law campus.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 10:26:31 AM »
As far as studying goes, I can assure you that BC kids work pretty hard.  Personally, I probably study about 5-6 hours a day ... 2 hours over lunch, and hour or so after school and then 2-4+ (most days 4, at least) after dinner.  But it really depends on the person ... when you get to school you start to figure out how exactly to go about studying.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 11:09:29 AM »
I think you could help flesh out whether there is any substantive difference in demographics between the schools, by talking about what you see on each campus.  Cliques you've noticed, age ranges, general feel for diversity, any other noticeable trends, etc.  You won't be able to say how they're different, but we might be able to pick up on some differences through the conversation. 

I would love to hear who are the rock star professors at each school that seem to carry weight outside the campus and who are the great professors that just have a genuine passion for what they do.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 11:10:32 AM »
*post not at all related to this thread*

hey, bamf, how's BC treating you?

KidA23

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 11:48:25 AM »
Good thread, thanks for starting.

How would each of you describe the facilities at your respective schools? I mean things like the on-campus fitness facility, the library, study areas, overall law building(s), etc...I only ask because it seems this sort of thing can vary pretty noticeably from one law school to another, and I have read that BU's facilities aren't quite what they perhaps should be considering BU's reputation as a top 25ish national law school.

Thanks in advance, I've applied to both and have scanned every BU / BC thread on these boards over the past few months.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 01:23:35 PM »
I think you could help flesh out whether there is any substantive difference in demographics between the schools, by talking about what you see on each campus.  Cliques you've noticed, age ranges, general feel for diversity, any other noticeable trends, etc.  You won't be able to say how they're different, but we might be able to pick up on some differences through the conversation. 

In terms of age range I would say that the largest group is people who have been out of school 2-4 years, followed closely by the fresh from undergrad folks (me).  I'm not sure what the oldest person in he class is (there is one older guy who is a jesuit and is not taking all the classes, so I don't think he count) but there are a  number of people who are around 30, and a few with kids.
Age really doesn't matter a whole lot, though.  One of the guys with a kid was at the bar monday night. 

Cliques?  I mean, people make friends and have groups that they hang out with but I don't relly think there are "cliques."  I don't know if other schools do this, but for the first time this yeah at BC each section has class at the exact same time, so when we have hours off, or lunch off, a lot of people from differnt sections hang out together in he cafeteria.  I have some good friends in all the sections, which I was told was not really going to happen.  It is definitey a good thing to be able to have friends that you aren't constantly in class with.

If you're looking for stats on diversity I dont have them (LSAC does) but I can tell you that BC seems like a pretty "diverse" place to me ... there are really acive student groups like the Black Law Students Assoc, the Latino/a LSA, the Asia/ Pacific LSA tht do a lot of acivities. 

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 01:38:58 PM »
I would love to hear who are the rock star professors at each school that seem to carry weight outside the campus and who are the great professors that just have a genuine passion for what they do.

I'm obviously not completely familiar with all of our profs but there are some great ones here.  One of the best profs I have is Zygmunt Plater, he is a great environmental law prof who has written one of the main ELaw textsand won a landmark endangered species case before SCOTUS.  For corporate law Renee Jones and Kent Greenfield have both been making waves lately (Jones keeps a blog that I believe is called "Corporate Law and Democracy" and Greenfield blogs for the Huffington Post).  Another Prof that has goten rave reviews from 1Ls that have her this year is Dr. Mary Sarah Builder ... she teaches property and legal history, and will be visiting at Harvard next semester (but has assred people she'll be staying at BC).

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 01:46:43 PM »
as a very much in need of procrastination 2L at BU i can answer questions too. specially stuff 1Ls may not aren't familiar with yet such as grading, curves, the CDO and OCI