Law School Discussion

UC Hastings 1L taking questions

Re: UC Hastings 1L taking questions
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2008, 11:33:09 AM »
how does hastings place out of California? It sounds like one would do well sticking aroudn CA for biglaw, but how about on the east coast? would you say that Hastings is primarily a regional school? thanks!

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2008, 05:02:20 PM »
Not sure about merit scholarships. I haven't heard of any.

As for placement, I haven't seen any stats so I don't know how well we place out of state, especially in the East Coast. I would assume we are primarily a regional school. The vast majority of our alums are in CA, either in LA or the Bay Area. If you want to work in the East Coast I'd probably pick a similarly ranked school out there over Hastings.

credo

• This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2008, 05:43:36 PM »
I have a question too-
Its been said Hastings has a very harsh curve.. anyone know exactly what that is? And also, what roughly are the grades for those who fall around top 30%, 50% and do students at Hastings think it is particularly difficult to fall around those numbers?

http://www.uchastings.edu/site_files/Academics/regs.pdf

B. Grade Normalization

1001. Grades in GPA courses: B- and above. In all GPA courses, 65 to 80 percent of the grades in each class should be B- or above. (As defined in §901, a GPA course is a course in which a grade is given primarily on the basis of an anonymously graded exam.) With respect to first-year classes, neither the Academic Dean nor the Records Office shall accept a grade sheet that fails to meet this requirement.

1002. Grades in GPA courses: A- and above. In all GPA courses, 10 to 20 percent of the grades given should be in the A range (A-, A, A+). The grade of A+, although rare, may be granted to reward superlative performance in any course. (As defined in §901, a GPA course is a course in which the grade is given primarily on the basis of an anonymously-graded exam.) With respect to first-year classes, neither the Academic Dean nor the Records Office shall accept a grade sheet that fails to meet this requirement.

1003. Grades in non-GPA courses, seminars and LWR. In all non-GPA courses, seminars and Legal Writing and Research, 10 to 33-1/3 percent of the grades should be in the A range (A-, A, A+) and the median grade shall be a B. The grade of A+, although rare, may be granted to reward superlative performance in any such course. (Non-GPA courses are defined in §901 as courses in which a grade is given primarily on the basis of student performance other than on an anonymously-graded exam.)

1004. Grades of C, D, and F. After satisfaction of the grade normalization requirements set forth in §§1001-1003, the distribution of grades of C (C+, C, C-), D, and F is at the instructor’s discretion. Student performance that is unsatisfactory, however, should be assigned a grade of C- or lower. Student performance that is unsatisfactory and falls substantially below the performance of the other students in the class should be assigned a grade of D or F.

FYI the old curve (above) has been voted out and a more lenient curve will be in effect starting Fall '08.  I believe 90% of the grades will now be B- or above with up to 30% being in the A range.  There will also be no curve for class with under 30 students.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2008, 11:42:45 PM »
Are there scholarships avaiable if you do well after your first year? If so, what are they like and how many kids get em?
There are scholarships for the top STUDENT in the SECTION (or it might be the top 3), and assorted other scholarships for students who get good grades, as well as a handful of scholarships for poor people.  You apply at the end of your first year.  I wouldn't count on getting more than $5,000 from a scholarship. Most are in the $1,500 to $3,000 range.