Law School Discussion

UC Hastings 1L taking questions

Re: UC Hastings 1L taking questions
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2008, 07:19:35 PM »
Wow, this place doesn't smell like an elitist country club at all.

A discussion forum that frowns upon new members voicing their reactions to a poster's representation of her school- definitely the place to find advice on where to get a legal education that prepares you for a diverse world.

Ya, good luck with your career.

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2008, 11:17:40 PM »
As a  female first year at UC Hastings, I am angered and offended by my classmate's characterization of his female colleagues as "As for the women, there is quite a fair share of attractive girls. Almost none are overweight and they are all, for the most part, very intelligent." This sexist comment not only reveals the writer's stupidity, but also degrades the Hastings community. Whoever this poster is, he/she does not represent us, and should keep in mind that being a sexist makes passing the professional responsibility requirement for the bar really hard.

Whoever you are, your response to my post is in my opinion uncalled for, incredulous and unreasonable.  The comment was in response to an honest question by a poster here on LSD which were along the lines of "how are the girls at Hastings." I really don't see how describing my female constituents at Hastings as attractive, fit and intelligent is "sexist" in any context of the word. I am in no way expressing or promoting an attitude that engenders stereotyping of women in any fashion. From an objective reading, it is reasonable to interpret what I said as being entirely positive and free of sexist undertones. I could very well describe my male constituents at Hastings with the exact same descriptions and in all honesty, I would have to say that my male counterparts are quite dashing. Maybe the next time you decide to furiously accuse someone of being a sexist you should look up the word in the dictionary before doing so. Additionally, I don't see how my positive attitude towards my female classmates would hinder my ability to pass the MPRE.

As for representing Hastings, you're right, I do not represent students who choose to make baseless attacks on other students but I think I do a good job representing everyone else. I've been very active on this forum for the purpose of informing and promoting Hastings in a very positive light and have had no intention of offending anyone. I am a well known and well liked student on campus. In fact, the academic and admissions deans have both praised me for my involvement in the Hastings community. Hastings1L woman, if you really feel the way you do, we can take this up with the deans and you can accuse me of making public "sexist" remarks about female students at Hastings. Just send me a PM and we'll set up a time and date to meet. If anyone else feels the way Hastings1L woman does about my comment, please feel free to send me a PM and I will personally address the matter with you.

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »
As a  female first year at UC Hastings, I am angered and offended by my classmate's characterization of his female colleagues as "As for the women, there is quite a fair share of attractive girls. Almost none are overweight and they are all, for the most part, very intelligent." This sexist comment not only reveals the writer's stupidity, but also degrades the Hastings community. Whoever this poster is, he/she does not represent us, and should keep in mind that being a sexist makes passing the professional responsibility requirement for the bar really hard.

Whoever you are, your response to my post is in my opinion uncalled for, incredulous and unreasonable.  The comment was in response to an honest question by a poster here on LSD which were along the lines of "how are the girls at Hastings." I really don't see how describing my female constituents at Hastings as attractive, fit and intelligent is "sexist" in any context of the word. I am in no way expressing or promoting an attitude that engenders stereotyping of women in any fashion. From an objective reading, it is reasonable to interpret what I said as being entirely positive and free of sexist undertones. I could very well describe my male constituents at Hastings with the exact same descriptions and in all honesty, I would have to say that my male counterparts are quite dashing. Maybe the next time you decide to furiously accuse someone of being a sexist you should look up the word in the dictionary before doing so. Additionally, I don't see how my positive attitude towards my female classmates would hinder my ability to pass the MPRE.

As for representing Hastings, you're right, I do not represent students who choose to make baseless attacks on other students but I think I do a good job representing everyone else. I've been very active on this forum for the purpose of informing and promoting Hastings in a very positive light and have had no intention of offending anyone. I am a well known and well liked student on campus. In fact, the academic and admissions deans have both praised me for my involvement in the Hastings community. Hastings1L woman, if you really feel the way you do, we can take this up with the deans and you can accuse me of making public "sexist" remarks about female students at Hastings. Just send me a PM and we'll set up a time and date to meet. If anyone else feels the way Hastings1L woman does about my comment, please feel free to send me a PM and I will personally address the matter with you.

First, the dictionary is not the authority to run to for anything. Second, saying that your male counterparts are dashing does not make it ok for you to trivialize your female counterparts by identifing them based on attractiveness, weight, and intelligence. That's stereotyping based on gender at its worst -- for the benefit of your reliance on the dictionary. Third, what the deans at this school think of you and your involvement in the Hastings community has no relevance to the nature of your comment. Being an active student doesn't give you license to make sexist comments. Fourth, I don't have to set up a time or place to meet you. I see you everyday in class.

Also, I hope you give the same reply to a job applicant interviewing for the firm you work for in the future, and see what consequences follow. It's good to know that there are aspiring lawyers out there who approach a woman based on her attractiveness, weight, and intelligence (or lack there of, since it's only for the most part) in that order.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2008, 04:17:09 PM »

First, the dictionary is not the authority to run to for anything. Second, saying that your male counterparts are dashing does not make it ok for you to trivialize your female counterparts by identifing them based on attractiveness, weight, and intelligence. That's stereotyping based on gender at its worst -- for the benefit of your reliance on the dictionary. Third, what the deans at this school think of you and your involvement in the Hastings community has no relevance to the nature of your comment. Being an active student doesn't give you license to make sexist comments. Fourth, I don't have to set up a time or place to meet you. I see you everyday in class.

Also, I hope you give the same reply to a job applicant interviewing for the firm you work for in the future, and see what consequences follow. It's good to know that there are aspiring lawyers out there who approach a woman based on her attractiveness, weight, and intelligence (or lack there of, since it's only for the most part) in that order.

One of the best flames I've seen in a while.  Nicely done/tag.

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2008, 06:03:57 PM »
When did evaluating the attractiveness of members of the opposite sex become "sexist"? Chauvinist? Maybe. Crude? Absolutely. But sexist? Hardly.

In any case, I think your objection is with the question as it was asked, not the answer that was provided.

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2008, 06:28:05 PM »

1) I guess I'm the only one who gives the Dictionary any credence when it comes to defining words. After all, defining words is only its primary use.

2) Tell me this, if you were to walk around campus and ask 100 guys "hey, what do you think about the women here at Hastings?" and most of them say "I think they're attractive and smart" you would flat out call them out on being a sexist? First, I think that's absolutely absurd and second, you need to take a deep breath and relax.

I don't see how I'm trivializing women by "identifying" them with positive terms. Being attractive (good hygiene, caring about your outward appearance), fit (maintaining a healthy diet and exercising regularly) and smart are arguably three qualities that most people appreciate. Keep in mind, this was a response tailored to a question based on the context it was presented.

tell us about the women, and anything else about student life

This is the question I was responding to. When someone asks "tell us about the women," call me crazy but for some reason I don't think they're looking for an answer like "what about the women? I think they are friendly just like all the men on campus." Also, I really don't see what is wrong with being attractive, fit and intelligent. Most women would probably interpret what I said as being complementary but you seem very, very bitter about these descriptions and I can only imagine why. It was a short question and I gave a short and honest opinion. This is a casual forum and I intend to be casual and frank about posts. I reply to posts on here just as I would to any anonymous guy I would meet on the street. Some people, like yourself, obviously take this forum way too seriously and get bitter about a very casual response I gave to an anonymous poster on the internet. I hope you feel empowered by anonymously flaming me on a post that was essentially left unnoticed by any of the thousands of people, including females, that have read it.

3) My reference to the deans was in response to you saying that I am poor example of a representative for Hastings, not as a means of bolstering my oh-so-sexist post. I choose not to address your banal and prepubescent comment on my intelligence.

4) I wasn't implying that I meet with you one on one, you'd probably bite my head off. If you see me in class everyday, it must be a painful ordeal to tolerate the presence of such a prominent sexist as myself on a daily basis. What I was suggesting, because you are so visibly disgruntled with my harmless post, is that we take this up with the deans because it would be a terrible thing to leave a male chauvinist on the internet trivializing the women of Hastings on a high-traffic public forum left unchecked. I mean, wouldn't you love to see a a huge sexist like me get reprimanded by school officials?

First of all, being the kind of person I am, I wouldn't have any interest in talking to job applicants interviewing for a firm I'll be working at, ESPECIALLY if they are females who aren't attractive, fit or intelligent.  :-*
Chances are, I'll be working for Male, Manly & Masculinity LLP where all the chicks are really hot anyways. In the off chance that I don't get a job there, I'd probably end up working at a public interest organization that deals with gender equality and women's rights.

Second, brace yourself for the shock of your lifetime............the harsh, harsh reality is that there are many many men out there, not just "aspiring lawyers," who "approach" women based on attractiveness, fitness and intelligence. Call me a raving lunatic but these are 3 qualities that I very much appreciate in not only women but all people in general.

And finally, I love you, fellow classmate.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2008, 06:38:37 PM »
What's the over/under on how many lbs. Hastings1L Woman is weighing in at?  Don't they have treadmills in SF?

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2008, 06:42:40 PM »
There's a few in our gym at the McAllister Tower. It's a quaint little gym too, I think you would enjoy it.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2008, 06:43:35 PM »
Oh good, thanks.  I actually prefer to run outdoors but it is nice to have options.

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2008, 07:47:47 PM »
"Hastings 1L Woman" is clearly a troll who was rejected from UC Hastings and is posing as a student to cause trouble. Take your negativity elsewhere.