Law School Discussion

UC Hastings 1L taking questions

Re: UC Hastings 1L taking questions
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2007, 12:37:37 AM »
Generally it's around 2000 billable hours per year which means 8 billable hours per day, 40 hours a week. This works out to about 11-14 actual hours per day, on average.

moonpie

• No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2007, 01:56:14 AM »
Would someone please elaborate on the location of UC Hastings and its relation to the so-called 'The Loin'.  So how safe exactly is this school and the area??

I am a female and I felt comfortable walking to my car after dark. Yes, there are druggies and crazies, but they rarely bother you. Use street smarts and you'll be fine.

I practically grew up on Market...that area is fine. It's a few blocks from city hall, BART stations, etc. It is, like many parts of SF, home to a decently large junkie/homeless population, but there's lots of normal pedestrian traffic and patrolmen.  People always talk about hastings like you're going to get stabbed if you don't arm yourself. I think you should use common sense, but it's really not that bad. The bad parts of LA, NY or even the east bay or Santa Monica are way scarier than where hastings is.

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2007, 01:17:18 PM »
Quick question for you....

Hastings will be my first choice down the road.  That being said, I'm trying to come up with a way to pay for school without relying too much on loans.  Currently I'm an active duty Naval Officer and would like to continue in the reserves while in law school.  That would require the old one weekend a month, two weeks a summer routine.  How realistic would it be for me to work one weekend a month (8 hours Sat, 8 hours Sun) and two weeks over the summer (internship conflict?)?
It this schedule isn't feasible for a 1L, could I pull it off as a 2L/3L?

Thanks in advance.

Just to put it in perspective, working in the reserves for those three years would amount to about 45K dollars pre-tax.  Not a small amount of money.

credo

• This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2007, 01:26:40 PM »
Quick question for you....

Hastings will be my first choice down the road.  That being said, I'm trying to come up with a way to pay for school without relying too much on loans.  Currently I'm an active duty Naval Officer and would like to continue in the reserves while in law school.  That would require the old one weekend a month, two weeks a summer routine.  How realistic would it be for me to work one weekend a month (8 hours Sat, 8 hours Sun) and two weeks over the summer (internship conflict?)?
It this schedule isn't feasible for a 1L, could I pull it off as a 2L/3L?

Thanks in advance.

Just to put it in perspective, working in the reserves for those three years would amount to about 45K dollars pre-tax.  Not a small amount of money.

Its definately feasible all three years, know a guy who was doing that for the Army reserve while at Hastings.

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2007, 01:33:07 PM »
Sweet....I was hoping that would be the case.

Thanks credo. 

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2007, 01:37:25 PM »
What is your international law program like? I would like to live in Asia for several years as my family is there but I do not really know what opportunities there are for US lawyers. Do you know if Hastings alumns spread out globally? If they do, what do they roughly study in Hastings? Does Hastings have good connections overseas? Thanks!

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2008, 12:40:29 AM »
I personally do not know how Hastings does overseas. All I know is that Hastings places very well in Hawaii. Hastings also has a pretty good study abroad program. Sorry I can't be more informative about this question.

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2008, 06:08:47 PM »
What are the prospects for SoCal employment? I got $63K from Loyola and an acceptance from Hastings, not sure which one to take for best chances of finding work in SoCal or internationally?

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2008, 09:55:19 AM »
and what's the Tower's policy on overnight guests?

credo

• This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2008, 01:56:45 PM »
What are the prospects for SoCal employment? I got $63K from Loyola and an acceptance from Hastings, not sure which one to take for best chances of finding work in SoCal or internationally?

Is the money from Loyola guaranteed or subject to maintaining a certain GPA? Would you be paying in state or out of state at Hastings the first year? Are you over 23 yrs old?

with you rnumbers there you have a shot at Boalt too especially if you are foreign born.

and what's the Tower's policy on overnight guests?

you can have whoever, whenever, so long as they sign in with the doorman if they arent a student.