Law School Discussion

UC Hastings 1L taking questions

UC Hastings 1L taking questions
« on: September 28, 2007, 05:24:40 PM »
If anyone is thinking about applying or going to Hastings, I'll fill you in with any questions you may have.

Re: UC Hastings 1L taking questions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 06:16:46 PM »
How heavy is the work load so far?
What is the atmosphere like among students?
Any impressions on your professors?
Does Hastings favor theory or practicality?
Thanks for your insight.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 06:17:50 PM »
hey lsatnooblet. what are the employment prospects (in your view) for hastings grads? thanks.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 03:55:59 AM »
Motorola: I've spoken to countless alums and a few top recruiters and they all agree that Hastings does very well in the large firm market. I know a very large handful of 2 and 3Ls that have 160k offers. In fact, 160k offers don't seem very rare here. Many of them are working with firms that have an established Hastings alum network such as Morrison & Forrester, Manatt, and DLA Piper. However, if you're reaching for mega firms, you would want to stay within the top 30%. This doesn't mean that you're screwed if you're not in that category. It is very easy for us to get government and public work however. We are surrounded by courts of various jurisdictions and that makes it very easy for us to get work/externships. The reputation is solid and we rank in the top 20 if you look at our US News reputation score alone (judges and professionals).

Pravin: The work load depends on your section since it's teacher specific. However, in my section the work load has been very manageable. On average, our reading assignments are anywhere from 15 to 20 pages for every class, most of which meet twice a week for an hour. The atmosphere here is surprisingly relaxed, friendly and cordial. Everyone is very social and the school orders a bunch of kegs of beer every other Thursday for the students. I'm sure things will change as we creep closer to finals but that goes for any school. As for my profs, all 4 of them are in the top of their field are are phenomenal at teaching (Charles Knapp for contracts, John Diamond for torts, David Levine for civil procedure and Robin Feldman for property). None of them focus too heavily on facts or too heavily on theory. Most of them cover the black letter law very thoroughly and provide some very interesting hypos. As for my legal writing prof, a brilliant recent grad of Hastings that is currently an associate at DLA Piper. It's interesting to have him give us some insights of big law life. Hastings certainly favors practicality over theory and they will tell you this during orientation. This does not mean that all professors will follow this preference as many of them are theory-heavy. However, Hastings is more focused on creating lawyers that have strong practical and analytical skills, things that law firms are looking for.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 12:22:47 PM »
tell us about the women, and anything else about student life

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 03:51:15 PM »
I would be interested to know how you think Hastings compares to Davis both academically and in terms of Q of L.  I am considering both, and the ratings put them as roughly comparable.  Thanks

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 03:07:17 AM »
Well the quality of life depends on what you're looking for. San Francisco is a beautiful city that is always active with tons of people and traffic all the time. If city life is what you want, I'd go to Hastings. I have never actually been to Davis but I hear its more "pastoral." In terms of US News rankings, Davis and Hastings are toe to toe. However, our reputation assessed by attorneys and judges is actually higher and our Bar passage rates are significantly higher. Hastings also has a much deeper alumni network.

As for the women, there is quite a fair share of attractive girls. Almost none are overweight and they are all, for the most part, very intelligent.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 02:26:55 AM »
Where the hell do you park?

credo

• This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 02:58:26 AM »
Where the hell do you park?

Where the hell do you get off?

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 11:04:31 AM »
Hey LSATnooblet,

Thanks for offering your wisdom.  I have 2 questions:

1) I noticed the student-faculty ration at Hastings is around 21:1, which seems pretty high.  How big have your classes been, and how accessible have your professors been?

2) Someone at Hastings told me the atmosphere is pretty competitive because they rank very strictly, carving the class up into chunks of "top 10%, next 15%, next 20%" etc., so students are very aware of rankings and each grade can make a big difference.  How competitive does it seem to you?

Thanks.