Law School Discussion

2007-2008 Splitters

FB

• View Profile
Re: 2007-2008 Splitters?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 03:39:50 PM »
once I get my LSAT score...hopefully I'll be a splitter.

UGPA<3.0

Math Major( Professors never curved, I've had classes where no one received a grade higher than a C+)

I heard adcomms are more forgiving to hard science majors and their GPAs...does anyone know anything about this?

They do, but only to a point..>I'm not sure how much it would help if you're below a 3.0.

I agree that it might do some to mitigate your GPA, but I think what your math major does more of is provide some diversity to the class. That might move you to the top of a waitlist or the "maybe" pile. Just a guess.

dpwc

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 07:21:56 PM »

UGPA<3.0

Math Major( Professors never curved, I've had classes where no one received a grade higher than a C+)

I heard adcomms are more forgiving to hard science majors and their GPAs...does anyone know anything about this?

They do, but only to a point..>I'm not sure how much it would help if you're below a 3.0.

I agree that it might do some to mitigate your GPA, but I think what your math major does more of is provide some diversity to the class. That might move you to the top of a waitlist or the "maybe" pile. Just a guess.

I'm not questioning you, but what are you basing this on? I am just curious because I am a math major with a mediocre GPA. Are there a lack of math majors applying to law school and schools want a diverse background of majors?

FB

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 07:54:29 PM »

UGPA<3.0

I'm not questioning you, but what are you basing this on? I am just curious because I am a math major with a mediocre (3.4) GPA. Are there a lack of math majors applying to law school and schools want a diverse background of majors?

I mentioned that it was speculation, but there are definitely less math majors than there are English and Poli Sci majors applying to LS. And based on my own somewhat limited observations, schools seem to like diversity of all kinds. All things being equal, you, being a math major, would probably get the spot over me, the English major, if we were on the waitlist. Just a hunch.

Majmun

• Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 06:48:43 AM »

UGPA<3.0

I'm not questioning you, but what are you basing this on? I am just curious because I am a math major with a mediocre (3.4) GPA. Are there a lack of math majors applying to law school and schools want a diverse background of majors?

Most school claim to want a diverse educational background and some even show pie charts of majors in their marketing materials.  The Former Uchicago Adcom who posted here said that a hard science degree can account for a  one or two tenths bump in GPA. 

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 06:53:39 AM »
3.3, 170.  Getting apps in soon and planning to wait a while.  (also, 1 year law WE, upward trend, non-urm)

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 08:39:46 AM »
Yo! 3.1/170; URM, gay, 4 years WE as paralegal in large law firm. Still have no idea whether I should be banking on T6, or T1.

Majmun

• Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 08:54:08 AM »
Yo! 3.1/170; URM, gay, 4 years WE as paralegal in large law firm. Still have no idea whether I should be banking on T6, or T1.

HYS seem improbable when you start looking at lsn and published numbers, but someone did get into Stanford with a 3.18 last year according to their website.

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 09:49:46 AM »
A black female with a 3.35, 169 on LSN got into Yale.

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2007, 12:48:12 PM »
I am a reverse splitter...3.93/168...anyone else in that camp?

K?

• Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 12:57:07 PM »
GPA: 2.97 (damn it...is .03 points too much to ask?)
LSAT 177

Let's roll.