Law School Discussion

Freak, the 1st year attorney taking questions

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
Freak, the 1st year attorney taking questions
« on: September 08, 2007, 09:54:28 PM »
I have an hour or so to burn. Anybody have a question?

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
Re: 1st year attorney taking questions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 10:13:14 PM »
Personal injury - car accidents mostly, though I just filed a complaint against a tree removal company for cutting a tree down which nearly killed young kid.

I like it because I only work ~45/hrs per week and I don't track billable hours. Plus, I can't stand insurance companies.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 10:25:27 PM »
It pays very well for where I live, but about average for first year attys. I don't have my license, I'm waiting for BAR results (Oct). Still, I attend court daily and the other attys introduce me to the judges and other attys. But even though we go to court often, everybody usually settles before trial. Arbitration and mediation are common though. In fact, we've not had a full blown trial this year. We came close twice last week, but the insurance companies blinked. We might have one in Oct. If we do, I'll second chair.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 10:42:03 PM »
It's not so much the area you practice as the people you work with that make or break how much you will like whatever position you take. Except for 1 secretary, I like whom I work with. When you interview, ask questions yourself. If you hate working for or with the firm's people, your life will be utter misery.

Also, I really enjoy hunting down the cases and putting together an argument based on the facts available or even better investigating once I know the facts I need for an argument. My firm lets me do the research, and interview witnesses. I've even been to the courthouse looking up old files. Almost like detective work. Still, every job has parts you will dislike. I dislike dictating deposition abstracts and medical summaries.

But I would really need to know the questions you have to give advice. I have learned an awful lot in the past 3.5 years. The neat thing is, I'm still learning, but now I use what I learn so I enjoy it instead of hate it, like I did in school.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 10:57:56 PM »
Goodnight; I'll return to answer questions as time permits.

Butters Stotch

• Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 08:31:03 PM »
How hard was it to find a job coming from a TTTT toilet?   :P

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 07:00:53 AM »
How hard was it to find a job coming from a TTTT toilet?   :P

I hand delivered 47 resumes Christmas my 2nd year, received one interview and they hired me. They then offered me an attorney position in Feb. of my 3rd year. I sent out only 10 resumes my third year. So, for me, a piece of cake. By Feb. of my 3rd year I had exactly what I wanted. And watch your language punk.  :P

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
Re: Freak, the 1st year attorney taking questions
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 10:24:56 AM »
So I just worked my first 11 hour day... :-\

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 11:07:25 AM »
Actually happened Fri. I drove all over S. IL and then home (6:15am~5:15pm). If I have to do that again...

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 11:35:53 AM »
Actually happened Fri. I drove all over S. IL and then home (6:15am~5:15pm). If I have to do that again...

You'll what? Quit? Were you driving from courthouse to courthouse? Deposition to deposition?

I'll whine ... like this  :'( I already whined to the secretary...And I was meeting w/potential clients...and didn't sign any up. What a waste of time.