Law School Discussion

Hold or Waitlist? Which is better?

Hold or Waitlist? Which is better?
« on: March 11, 2004, 08:51:53 AM »
Lets get some opinions from those of you who have had some experience in the admissions process?  Is the likelyhood of acceptance better if you are on "hold" or "waitlisted"?  Also, can a hold decision result in being placed on a waitlist?  Currently, I am on hold at Pitt, Case, and Ohio State, but waitlisted at Catholic.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

marcman

• 2.85/166
    • View Profile
Re: Hold or Waitlist? Which is better?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 09:27:08 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, here's how the admissions process works at most schools:
The committee reviews every app, and each one is put into 1 of 3 'piles' - a no pile, a yes pile and a maybe pile. A hold is, in effect, being put on the maybe pile for an extended periond of time. You usually end up there because they want to compare you to more applicants. A hold, in my opinion is better than being waitlisted. Being waitlisted you usually come from the maybe pile but the school decides that you probably won't make the cut. (Ive been WL'ed at Notre Dame >:() On the WL you're like that schools 'saftey', so if, after all the acceptances they gave out, they don't still don't have enough students to meet there target for their first year class, they will then accept those at the top of the WL. A Hold is just being kept on the maybe pile, but the school will get back to you much sonner than if you were WL'ed (btw its very possible to be put on the WL after being on hold). Being WL'ed is basically like being put into a 4th, backup pile. Thats all to the best of my knowledge, and Im sure it varies a little from school to school, but I think its somthing like that at most of them.
Good luck

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 03:19:42 PM »
OK, how about this line: They are keeping my file "active."  What the heck does that mean?

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 08:33:51 PM »
I am being kept on hold as well... to my knowledge it means that they are keeping your file to compare it with other applicants, basically as said previously, your application is a maybe... not a yes but definately not a no. its probably not a bad thing but also not the most favorable position to be in. but then again, its better than just being rejected right off the bat. i think it occurs most often in cases of borderline stats...either a gpa that could go either way or an lsat that is good but not quite good enough. hope that helps !!! good luck!!!!

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 06:06:50 PM »
I was on hold at two schools and was recently placed on a waitlist at one of them.  So marcman is correct, a hold can lead to a waitlist.  It can also lead to an acceptance or rejection as well.  Personally, I think a hold is better than a waitlist because it shows that the school is really interested in you.  You might not be an auto-admit but they put you on hold to view the whole pool and see where you fit in with them.  A waitlist is indeed the school's safety list--they can take up to the first day of class to get back to you.  I suggest DEFINITELY sending a follow-up letter, LOR, or anything else that you have accomplished since you applied.  If nothing else, it shows that you are interested in attending that school.  To concisely answer this thread's main question: A hold is better than a waitlist but can also lead to a waitlist.  However, both are WAY better than a rejection  ;D

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 06:12:48 PM »
i'm currently on hold at 3 schools, pain in my butt though because deposits are due april 1 and i need to throw one down and im gonna get stuck w/ny law cuz of it...lol

blah to fordham, bklyn, and cardozo!

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 03:17:40 PM »
i'm currently on hold at 3 schools, pain in my butt though because deposits are due april 1 and i need to throw one down and im gonna get stuck w/ny law cuz of it...lol

blah to fordham, bklyn, and cardozo!

Well, I have been advised by a couple people that it may be a good idea to reserve a spot at more than one school...I don't know how common this practice is, but it seems reasonable seeing as many people (such as myself) will not receive their FA determinations until after April 1...I do know that it is perfectly acceptable to put down a deposit and then cancel because you have received an acceptance offer after the fact...

Anyone else have anything to share on the 'multiple deposits' topic?

Chris

bobfett33

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 12:52:38 PM »
Which is better?  They may not be that comparable... because you don't really know how the school is using the term...

For instance, one school could use "on hold" to mean that they're almost sure they'll admit you, but they just want to wait a few more weeks to see if they get that slew of 175/3.8 applicants that they've been dreaming of.

On the other hand, another school could use "on hold" to mean that they're almost sure they're about to send you a rejection, but they just want to make sure that they get another batch of decent applications in the next few weeks - so you're like their safety.