Law School Discussion

Witnessed something very unusual in court yesterday

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
Witnessed something very unusual in court yesterday
« on: July 13, 2007, 05:58:08 AM »
As some of you may know, my summer job is working as a legal intern with my county prosecutor's office.  It's fun because I get to go on the record since I'm going into my 3rd year and there's always something going on around here.  So yesterday I went up to a trial that was going on that should have been really boring.  I was just hoping not to spend time at my desk.  I got to the courtroom and there was the defendant on the witness stand.  I guess that tells you something about how well the defense's case was going, huh?  But then it became really truly bizarre.  He was explaining why he gave a statement to the police and saying that it was false and that he had lied for several reasons.  The first was bull, the second made him out to be this noble guy (if they had arrested his girlfriend they would have taken away her daughter).  Trust me, the guy is anything but noble.  Anyway, then his attorney asks if there's anything else and he breaks down SOBBING.  They took a recess and then when they came back he says that he got AIDS from a blood transfusion (in 1998, so this is doubtful since they've been checking blood for HIV/AIDS for far longer than the 9 years between 1998 and 2007) and that he had been told by the doctor he wouldn't be around much longer so he figured he would throw himself under the bus.  At this point his father is sobbing loudly (trust me, this guy isn't good either...I've been working on another case involving both of them).  It was the most utterly bizarre thing I've ever seen in court.  I swear to god, it was like an episode of Law & Order.  Weird.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Witnessed something very unusual in court yesterday
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:06:50 AM »
your daddy gonna be ok?