Law School Discussion

What do I do?!?! -- Penn $$$ vs. Harvard

Re: What do I do?!?! -- Penn $$$ vs. Harvard
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 02:27:16 PM »
Take the money.  You will be slaving away in corporate to pay HLS loans back forever.  It's not even close to being worth it.

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 06:40:15 PM »
I'm thinking Penn!!  8)

Thanks for all the advice guys!

P.S. Watch Veronica Mars tonight! It's FINALLY off hiatus!!!  :-*

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 08:28:56 PM »

I do know its been done before:
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tanqueray

and that at penn you will be welcomed into a cozy den of collegiality:
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,86499.0.html

m1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 08:50:59 PM »
I would take Penn (did you get a Levy?  or a Silverman-Rodin?  the $79k sounds a lot like a Silverman + need, but thats just a guess).

What sealed it for me, besides the Silverman-Rodin, was that I felt very comfortable at Penn for all the reasons you listed.  The smaller size just felt right to me.  In the 2 days I was there for the ASW, I feel like I met half the 1L class and got to know some of them very well.  I loved talking with all my future classmates and basically felt right at home.  For me, there is very little difference between the top 10 schools that is not offset by how well you feel you fit in at the school.  Penn is the school that I feel most comfortable at, and has the student body that I saw myself fitting into.  That has held true for all of the people I have met from Penn and even the prospective students for next year's class whom I really enjoy talking to (see the Penn thread that someone else linked in here).

I, too, want to do a clerkship and go into government work.  The freedom the money from Penn gives you opens up many doors.  For me, then, it came down to the student body and where I felt most comfortable.  Penn won out in that regard.  Good luck with your decision, and congrats on the scholarship!

Edit: one more thing- if you do work a paid firm job your 1L and 2L summers, you can essentially emerge from Penn 100% debt free.  not bad for a top 6 school  :)

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 09:00:20 PM »
go to penn!!!! we are very collegial!!! plus...fighting quakers..come on, very fierce

haha...but really...go to penn  :D

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 09:20:42 PM »
i'll also point out that the adminstration at Penn is incredibly supportive.

I'll be heading to Penn next fall and they have been nothing but wonderful to me, with all of my weird little demands and situations.

I even got in touch with a Penn prof through my current prof at my UG, and people at the Preview knew about it already and introduced me to her so I would know what she looked like. Also, i was actually pretty impressed by the faculty there because they seemed young and really into teaching.

Penn is a pretty small law school for the T10, but it has all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages - you can take classes outside of Penn Law school pretty easily. I want to go into health law and Penn doesnt' have 1 bazillion courses in it, but it has a M. Bioethics program that would be perfect.

Also, Penn allows you to participate in clinics as a 1L - i'm of a mind that pratice makes you a better lawyer, not theory. So that apsect of Penn really attracted me. Also, at the Preview, i heard current students talk about how easy it was to create a new one.

but in the end, its your gut telling you where to go...and assuming you are somewhat young (27 or less) you can shoulder the debt if you want.

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 09:26:52 PM »

I'll be heading to Penn next fall and they have been nothing but wonderful to me, with all of my weird little demands and situations.

I even got in touch with a Penn prof through my current prof at my UG, and people at the Preview knew about it already and introduced me to her so I would know what she looked like. Also, i was actually pretty impressed by the faculty there because they seemed young and really into teaching.

Penn is a pretty small law school for the T10, but it has all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages - you can take classes outside of Penn Law school pretty easily. I want to go into health law and Penn doesnt' have 1 bazillion courses in it, but it has a M. Bioethics program that would be perfect.

Also, Penn allows you to participate in clinics as a 1L - i'm of a mind that pratice makes you a better lawyer, not theory. So that apsect of Penn really attracted me. Also, at the Preview, i heard current students talk about how easy it was to create a new one.

but in the end, its your gut telling you where to go...and assuming you are somewhat young (27 or less) you can shoulder the debt if you want.

nice trolling  ;)

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 09:27:36 PM »
go to penn!!!! we are very collegial!!! plus...fighting quakers..come on, very fierce

haha...but really...go to penn  :D

Earlier I said go to Penn.  I forgot dancerina was going to Penn.  Go to Harvard.

dont pay attention to bosco...hell be transferring to penn by next year

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 09:38:45 PM »
Dancerina goes to Penn, so I'd go there.   :-* :-*

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 09:41:15 PM »

nice trolling  ;)

hahaha, you can be the cls troll and i'll be the penn troll

we gotta stick up for our future schools.

now, i have to work on cornell's rep....geeeeez. i didn't know what i was getting into when i was young.