Law School Discussion

What do I do?!?! -- Penn $$$ vs. Harvard

Re: What do I do?!?! -- Penn $$$ vs. Harvard
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2007, 09:59:13 AM »
And for 2006 clerkship placement, look here: http://lawclerkaddict.blogspot.com/

Total clerks by school
2 Harvard 56
2 Stanford 47
1 Yale 43
8 Michigan 20
10 Virginia 20
14 Georgetown 19
18 Texas 18
4 NYU 17
6 Penn 14
5 Columbia 13
28 Notre Dame 13
6 Chicago 12
8 Boalt 12
15 UCLA 12
10 Duke 10

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2007, 10:09:53 AM »
If you look at my first response, I said I was only talking about SCOTUS clerkships.  Now like lyquid says, SCOTUS is such a small sample size that it doesn't really matter, and I believe what you're saying about appellate-level placement, but please tell me what I said that was incorrect.  I agree that if you exclude the extreme right, Chicago doesn't place as well as Harvard on the Supreme Court.  However, the extreme right exists.  Again, all I said was that for the past 15 or so years, Chicago places better than Harvard for SCOTUS clerkships.  As far as I can tell, this is not wrong.  If I am wrong, please show me the stats that show Harvard placing more SCOTUS clerks than Chicago in relation to class size.

You were wrong in your creation of a false construct of conservative and liberal judges.  Harvard actually outperforms Chicago with most moderate conservatives.  A more accurate statement is that "if you looked at everyone but the nutjobs, HYS place better.  There are a lot of nutjobs so Chicago may place better."

I don't deny that the extreme right exists on SCOTUS.  If you think that comparative per capita placement is a good reason to choose between schools then you should at least be intellecutally honest enough to recognize that such a metric itself is not universal to students as those judges only pick a specific kind of student.

Per capita SCOTUS placement at Chicago for rightwingers is far better than at HYS.  Per capital SCOUTS placement for non-extremist students at Chicago is far worse than at HYS.  If you are to the left of Atilla the Hun, then Chicago will not be a better place for you to get a clerkship.

Rusty Shackleford

• #1 OATLAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2007, 10:20:10 AM »
And for 2006 clerkship placement, look here: http://lawclerkaddict.blogspot.com/

Total clerks by school
2 Harvard 56
2 Stanford 47
1 Yale 43
8 Michigan 20
10 Virginia 20
14 Georgetown 19
18 Texas 18
4 NYU 17
6 Penn 14
5 Columbia 13
28 Notre Dame 13
6 Chicago 12
8 Boalt 12
15 UCLA 12
10 Duke 10

I like how you say that Penn is a "barely top ten school" and that the only thing going for it is its USNEWS ranking, and then post a link that shows how well Penn places in clerkships.  You failed to post this list:

Percentage of Clerks by School
2 Stanford 27.2%
1 Yale 21.6%
2 Harvard 10.1%
28 Notre Dame 7.4%
6 Chicago 6.3%
6 Penn 5.8%
8 Michigan 5.5%
10 Virginia 5.3%
10 Duke 5.0%
8 Boalt 4.5%
18 Texas 4.1%
16 Vanderbilt 4.0%
4 NYU 3.8%
15 UCLA 3.8%
5 Columbia 3.4%
12 Northwestern 3.3%
14 Georgetown 3.3%
13 Cornell 3.1%
24 Iowa 2.7%

And I'm not trying to get into a pissing match about clerkships or anything, I'm just wondering why you think Penn is a "barely top ten" school with nothing substantial going for it when your own evidence says otherwise.

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2007, 10:21:07 AM »
If you look at my first response, I said I was only talking about SCOTUS clerkships.  Now like lyquid says, SCOTUS is such a small sample size that it doesn't really matter, and I believe what you're saying about appellate-level placement, but please tell me what I said that was incorrect.  I agree that if you exclude the extreme right, Chicago doesn't place as well as Harvard on the Supreme Court.  However, the extreme right exists.  Again, all I said was that for the past 15 or so years, Chicago places better than Harvard for SCOTUS clerkships.  As far as I can tell, this is not wrong.  If I am wrong, please show me the stats that show Harvard placing more SCOTUS clerks than Chicago in relation to class size.

You were wrong in your creation of a false construct of conservative and liberal judges.  Harvard actually outperforms Chicago with most moderate conservatives.  A more accurate statement is that "if you looked at everyone but the nutjobs, HYS place better.  There are a lot of nutjobs so Chicago may place better."

I don't deny that the extreme right exists on SCOTUS.  If you think that comparative per capita placement is a good reason to choose between schools then you should at least be intellecutally honest enough to recognize that such a metric itself is not universal to students as those judges only pick a specific kind of student.

Per capita SCOTUS placement at Chicago for rightwingers is far better than at HYS.  Per capital SCOUTS placement for non-extremist students at Chicago is far worse than at HYS.  If you are to the left of Atilla the Hun, then Chicago will not be a better place for you to get a clerkship.

I never said that per capita SCOTUS placement is a good reason to pick one school over another.  Again, all I said was that per capita SCOTUS placement for the last 15 years or so is better at Chicago than Harvard.  You can say that's not very helpful, it can be explained by crazy right wingers, etc (which I agree with you on), but I still don't see anything that I've said that's wrong. 

Are you being like this on purpose? I don't think I've ever seen someone get their back up so much on a letter-spirit issue.

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2007, 10:25:47 AM »
actually, this year was the strongest year for penn in terms of clerkships in years.  It placed 3 people on the Supreme Court (they had only one person in the previous ten years).  Based on this year alone, Penn did pretty well, but based on the last 10 years, the evidence suggests a different conclusion.  But if you want to pick out one year where a school did well, pick out Chicago's CoA placement from '05 or Chicago's '04 SCOTUS placement (7 people).  I hope that helps explain my position.

m1

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2007, 01:09:27 PM »
back to the main point of the thread-

come to penn  ;D

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2007, 01:24:37 PM »
I don't think I'm getting my back up so much.  I said something which I don't think is wrong.  When someone starts off their post with "Wrong.", I think it's fair to ask for an explanation of what I said that was wrong.  But I agree it's a meaningless, unimportant issue.

You provided a facile and misleading explanation for something that had already been explaned correctly.  If you want to pathetically defend yourself through an extremely limited interpretation of what's going on here and then run to other thread to act petty, go ahead, see if I give a @#!*.  I'd worry more about learning to be more than a half-wit than about getting a clerkship.  I pointed out you were wrong in your explanation which was incorrect through omission and conceptual inadequacy.  Get over it.

AlphaBusey

• SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2007, 01:27:09 PM »
I don't think I'm getting my back up so much.  I said something which I don't think is wrong.  When someone starts off their post with "Wrong.", I think it's fair to ask for an explanation of what I said that was wrong.  But I agree it's a meaningless, unimportant issue.

You provided a facile and misleading explanation for something that had already been explaned correctly.  If you want to pathetically defend yourself through an extremely limited interpretation of what's going on here and then run to other thread to act petty, go ahead, see if I give a @#!*.  I'd worry more about learning to be more than a half-wit than about getting a clerkship.  I pointed out you were wrong in your explanation which was incorrect through omission and conceptual inadequacy.  Get over it.

And you sir, win the "If I went to school with you I'd shoot myself in the face" award.  Now I can genuinely claim to be happy that I didn't get into Harvard.  Hooray!

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2007, 01:34:24 PM »
And you sir, win the "If I went to school with you I'd shoot myself in the face" award.  Now I can genuinely claim to be happy that I didn't get into Harvard.  Hooray!

Oh har. I think we can all agree that a made-up metric of per-capita clerkship rates is one of the stupidest reasons to choose a law school in the first place but it's a great f-ing reason to make yourself feel good about the choice you made (so is claiming you're glad you're not going to school x because you don't like someone's post).  If more people in this thread actually cared about the poster's choice, then there would be less idiocy in here.  Someone else's decision where to go to school is not a chance for you to score points for the school that you just sent a check into, or for you to wonder what you would have done in that situation.  Seriously, the advice in here is terrible and it is given not for the benefit of the original poster, but for some stuck-up 0Ls who think that they know everything.

And bosco, fine, let's just end this.  I went overboard but it seemed like you were being intentionally obtuse and that's not going to get me to be any nicer.  I'm bored with it, you're bored with it, I think we both agree.  If you stick around long enough you'll know that me being that abrasive is a sign that I'm sober, which just makes me angry.

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2007, 01:56:55 PM »

Oh har. I think we can all agree that a made-up metric of per-capita clerkship rates is one of the stupidest reasons to choose a law school in the first place but it's a great f-ing reason to make yourself feel good about the choice you made (so is claiming you're glad you're not going to school x because you don't like someone's post).  If more people in this thread actually cared about the poster's choice, then there would be less idiocy in here.  Someone else's decision where to go to school is not a chance for you to score points for the school that you just sent a check into, or for you to wonder what you would have done in that situation.  Seriously, the advice in here is terrible and it is given not for the benefit of the original poster, but for some stuck-up 0Ls who think that they know everything.

And bosco, fine, let's just end this.  I went overboard but it seemed like you were being intentionally obtuse and that's not going to get me to be any nicer.  I'm bored with it, you're bored with it, I think we both agree.  If you stick around long enough you'll know that me being that abrasive is a sign that I'm sober, which just makes me angry.

seriously. have a few drinks and stop bloviating