Law School Discussion

your favorite guitar effects

Thistle

• View Profile
Re: your favorite guitar effects
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2007, 11:37:05 AM »
First of all, it isn't a Gibson or a Fender, or cheaper variation (or maybe a Rick) it isn't a guitar. I dont get all of this Ibanez/PRS kind of talk. Second of all, the only effects that are good are the old school analog ones like a Memory Man or a Small Stone. I'm an old man when it comes to these kinds of things though...

And there is no way that a Line 6 anything with a Crate anything sounds "good"...no freaking way...

since i like the way it sounds, your opinion is immaterial

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2007, 11:37:19 AM »
I have to say that one of my favorite sounds comes from a Fender Bassman with a Les Paul, where you bridge the channels with a short patch wire and turn everything up all the way. Sounds awesome. I would imagine a Twin with the right gain enhanver (TS or maybe a Boss super overdrive) might sounds killer.

I just got a used Bassman head in near perfect condition for < $100.

Methinks I got the long end of that stick  ;) ;D

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2007, 11:38:33 AM »
I have to say that one of my favorite sounds comes from a Fender Bassman with a Les Paul, where you bridge the channels with a short patch wire and turn everything up all the way. Sounds awesome. I would imagine a Twin with the right gain enhanver (TS or maybe a Boss super overdrive) might sounds killer.

The bassman is awesome if you're going for a thick rock sound . . . the twin is more versatile for highs, reverb, chorused type sounds yet it has the versatility to rock as well.

For a clean sound, my buddy had this Matchless Chieftan that rocked.

Best hard sound? I like Orange amps and Bogner stuff.

mij

• P.S....
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2007, 11:41:34 AM »
First of all, it isn't a Gibson or a Fender, or cheaper variation (or maybe a Rick) it isn't a guitar. I dont get all of this Ibanez/PRS kind of talk. Second of all, the only effects that are good are the old school analog ones like a Memory Man or a Small Stone. I'm an old man when it comes to these kinds of things though...

And there is no way that a Line 6 anything with a Crate anything sounds "good"...no freaking way...

I'm sure you all have better taste than me, but Gibsons rock my world, especially old school acoustic ones.  I know that doesn't exactly apply, but I'm throwing it out there anyway.   

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2007, 11:42:48 AM »

The bassman is awesome if you're going for a thick rock sound . . . the twin is more versatile for highs, reverb, chorused type sounds yet it has the versatility to rock as well.

For a clean sound, my buddy had this Matchless Chieftan that rocked.

Best hard sound? I like Orange amps and Bogner stuff.

Bogners are alright, but Matchless & Orange are both orgasmic

leostrauss

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2007, 11:43:28 AM »

I'm sure you all have better taste than me, but Gibsons rock my world, especially old school acoustic ones.  I know that doesn't exactly apply, but I'm throwing it out there anyway.   

I too love old Gibsons (clearly superior to new ones). I have a hummingbird (68), and my Dove Gospel is from 72

mij

• P.S....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2007, 11:47:23 AM »
I learned to play on my mom's '68.  Love, love it. 

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2007, 11:49:07 AM »
Yes...Orange and Bogner ... AWESOME. This weekend I recorded a guy that had an Orange AD-130(?) and a Tele..sounded AWESOME. Beefy and clear.

And matchless...they sound great too.

leostrauss

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2007, 12:12:13 PM »
Parker Fly's are slick, but I wouldn't be on stage with one. I think a tricked out Strat (many awesome custom shops will supe up a strat beyond belief) is really cool.

leostrauss

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2007, 12:17:53 PM »
I play acoustic like 85% of the time, so almost any electric feels slick as greased snot to me. I don't like rickenbacker necks, even though they look awesome. Other than that, I'm not picky, but prefer les paul (assuming it has low action).