Law School Discussion

Cornell Law Class of 2010 (or 2011)!!!

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2010 (or 2011)!!!
« Reply #300 on: June 11, 2007, 03:23:56 PM »
Who likes baseball here?

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 11, 2007, 06:16:52 PM »
So I got a letter from Cornell today inviting me to attend some sort of pre-orientation orientation (seemingly something similar to CLEO or other school-offered "head start" programs) from Aug 13-17.  Only thing is, the letter indicated that it was a "minority" program of sorts, which is confusing the living bejesus out of me...

I mean, I'll be moved in already and they're offering a stipend, but if it's like most of these other similar programs I've heard about, it might just turn out to be a colossal waste of time.

Anyone else get this?

whoisjohngalt

• "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 11, 2007, 07:19:25 PM »
So I got a letter from Cornell today inviting me to attend some sort of pre-orientation orientation (seemingly something similar to CLEO or other school-offered "head start" programs) from Aug 13-17.  Only thing is, the letter indicated that it was a "minority" program of sorts, which is confusing the living bejesus out of me...

I mean, I'll be moved in already and they're offering a stipend, but if it's like most of these other similar programs I've heard about, it might just turn out to be a colossal waste of time.

Anyone else get this?

I have friends who did this last year and they were all minorities.  Did you check the wrong box?  :P

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 11, 2007, 07:21:18 PM »

Anyone else get this?

I have friends who did this last year and they were all minorities.  Did you check the wrong box?  :P

That was my first thought...I immediately checked my app on LSAC and I checked Caucasian.

« Reply #304 on: June 11, 2007, 10:14:26 PM »

Anyone else get this?

That was my first thought...I immediately checked my app on LSAC and I checked Caucasian.

Hi all! This is my first post. I am very surpirsed by how many people are from California. I am also a UC kid (Cal) and totally get what Marina and Victory lap are talking about!

As for the summer pre-orientation letter, as minority, I wasn't really surprised that I received the letter. However it was my understanding that the program was developed by the minority groups but is intended to help all students. Most likely it would help those who have some socio-economic disadvantages (which can mean ethnic minority but not always)or for non- traditional students. I think the letter said the program is open to anyone who feels that they would benefit from it.

I could be really wrong about this but I thought is was open to everyone but they were just trying to say some people might benefit alittle more then others

I taked with two students a during one of the Admitted student weekends who said the program really helped them out with some great study/exam tips and they really recommended it to me.(They were both minority students now that I think about it...)

I am going because I think it's great opportunity to meet some of the staff/professors and students in a different atmosphere then orientation/first week of school. And if your getting a dorm you can settle in aliitle earlier and thre is a subsidy.

If it turns out to be for everyone I don't think it would hurt anyone to sign up for it and give it a try.

« Reply #305 on: June 12, 2007, 08:30:18 AM »
The only mail I've gotten from Cornell is info about setting up an email address...I haven't received anything about health forms or whatever. Hmmm.

« Reply #306 on: June 12, 2007, 10:46:22 AM »
I love baseball.  Ever since I was a little kid, the Angels have been my AL team and the Giants my NL team.  Never in my life did I expect them to play one another in the World Series.

Just to preempt:  I am a Giants fan NOT a Barry Bonds fan.

Well I appreciate the distinction since I am not a Bonds fan myself...but as you can tell, I am not exactly a Giants fan!  ;) Sorry about last weekend victorylap!  :) But a sweep is a sweep! I hope we can still be friends. Oh, by the way, I am getting the cable package with the MLB extra innings, so if you ever want to come over and watch baseball when law school is getting you down, let me know!

I also got the letter for the Orientation thing. I thought it sounded cool, and I always like learning new tips! And nothing wrong with a little extra cash, no?

SugarJ

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 12, 2007, 07:00:47 PM »

whoisjohngalt

• "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 12, 2007, 09:24:47 PM »

Anyone else get this?

Hi all! This is my first post. I am very surpirsed by how many people are from California. I am also a UC kid (Cal) and totally get what Marina and Victory lap are talking about!

As for the summer pre-orientation letter, as minority, I wasn't really surprised that I received the letter. However it was my understanding that the program was developed by the minority groups but is intended to help all students. Most likely it would help those who have some socio-economic disadvantages (which can mean ethnic minority but not always)or for non- traditional students. I think the letter said the program is open to anyone who feels that they would benefit from it.

I could be really wrong about this but I thought is was open to everyone but they were just trying to say some people might benefit alittle more then others

I taked with two students a during one of the Admitted student weekends who said the program really helped them out with some great study/exam tips and they really recommended it to me.(They were both minority students now that I think about it...)

I am going because I think it's great opportunity to meet some of the staff/professors and students in a different atmosphere then orientation/first week of school. And if your getting a dorm you can settle in aliitle earlier and thre is a subsidy.

If it turns out to be for everyone I don't think it would hurt anyone to sign up for it and give it a try.

My friends who did it thought it was worthwhile.  Plus, it's a great way to meet people outside of your section.

The only downside is that you have actual homework and writing assignments due.  So, that kind of sucks.

« Reply #309 on: June 13, 2007, 10:14:22 AM »
Who likes baseball here?

;D

ewwwww....no I'm jk. We can still be friends. I guess.  ::) We do you have to leave for Spain (it is Spain right?)...