Law School Discussion

University of Pennsylvania Class of 2010

Re: University of Pennsylvania Class of 2010
« Reply #2500 on: August 25, 2007, 10:56:39 AM »
Section 2 here!

yay!  that was my section!

any experience to share?
i don't play tennis, but i would be glad to watch  ;) oh the sport fans who just like to watch...

Do you have the same profs?  First semester, we had Pritchett, Feldman, and Madison.  Second, it was Ruger and Finkelstein.  I'm happy to answer questions about any of them on here, except the last person mentioned I'll only talk about via PM.

rosey

« Reply #2501 on: August 25, 2007, 12:43:40 PM »
Section 2 has Pritchett for property if you have any tips ;)

« Reply #2502 on: August 25, 2007, 01:41:39 PM »
Talk about Feldman- he's teaching section three this year.

Ok! 

Teaching style:  Strong.  He's great with hypos, and asks interesting questions.  He doesn't allow laptops in class, which probably made our class discussions better.  A lot of laughter in his classroom.

Personality: He's a really nice guy, and he definitely likes the finer things in life.  :D  His wife had a daugher pretty recently, and he's been looking a little frazzled as a result.

Exams:  Closed book, which sucks.  It's a race--more issues than you could ever possibly deal with in the time alloted.  Be SURE to take timed practice exams, and realized that, if he does the same as last year, you'll only have 1.5 hours for the essay because the other half is multiple-choice questions.  I didn't realize this, and didn't come close to finishing.  My worst grade.

As for reading: it will help you in class, but because of the time pressure, you don't need to know the nuances.  Not a big deal to skip the notes.

« Reply #2503 on: August 25, 2007, 01:46:38 PM »
Section 2 has Pritchett for property if you have any tips ;)

Cool, I love to talk about "Wendy."  He was my favorite teacher.  :)

Teaching:  I loved him, but his style is not for everyone.  He talks really fast.  The class covers much more interesting ground that the normal property class--he uses news articles and current events to shape discussions.  I thought that was awesome--plus, no future interests!

Personality: fun.  Go for drinks with him for sure.

Exam:  I thought it was fair, but some people did not.  It's really important to know the four theories of property you'll talk about early on, and think about how they apply to each topic you cover.  Open book.

It really helps to do ALL your reading, because knowing the nuances is important here.  Even though the long theoretical articles you get later kind of suck, you should definitely read them.  I think the people who complained about the exam failed to do this. 

« Reply #2504 on: August 26, 2007, 07:57:32 AM »
Also, if you have one of the same profs as me, I can send you my outline (although I didn't make good ones for every class).

There's an "official" outline bank sponsored by CSR, but it's not that good.  I recommend checking here as well:
https://www.law.upenn.edu/groups/salsa/academics.html

« Reply #2505 on: August 26, 2007, 09:27:49 AM »
Also, if you have one of the same profs as me, I can send you my outline (although I didn't make good ones for every class).

There's an "official" outline bank sponsored by CSR, but it's not that good.  I recommend checking here as well:

wow thank you! that's really reaasuring. I have "Wendy" for property (I think...). Do you recommend any commercial stuff? (outlines, hornbooks, etc).

« Reply #2506 on: August 26, 2007, 06:50:28 PM »

wow thank you! that's really reaasuring. I have "Wendy" for property (I think...). Do you recommend any commercial stuff? (outlines, hornbooks, etc).

You don't need commercial outlines, because he doesn't teach the class as a traditional property course.  Focus on old tests and outlines.

PM me your email and I'll send you my outline--I made a good one for property.

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: August 27, 2007, 07:51:27 PM »
Okay, since m1 is giving me a hard time about attending orientation... who here is going on the shopping tour tomorrow?  Or to the Phillies game?  I'll be at both and am stoked.

« Reply #2508 on: August 27, 2007, 08:03:18 PM »
Okay, since m1 is giving me a hard time about attending orientation... who here is going on the shopping tour tomorrow?  Or to the Phillies game?  I'll be at both and am stoked.

I will be leading the shopping tour.  :)

mantis

• View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: August 27, 2007, 08:13:54 PM »
I want to go on the shopping tour but I may end up sitting at home waiting for my movers.  Boo.  If they come in the morning I'm in, but otherwise no.  :(