Law School Discussion

University of Pennsylvania Class of 2010

Rusty Shackleford

• #1 OATLAW
    • View Profile
Re: University of Pennsylvania Class of 2010
« Reply #2490 on: August 23, 2007, 07:55:58 PM »
did you order books online, or just go to the bookstore today after getting your schedule?

A bit of both.  I got Civil Procedure, Torts and Contract Law from the Bookstore.  I got the Civil Procedure Supplement, American Courts, and Property Law books from Amazon.

« Reply #2491 on: August 23, 2007, 08:43:41 PM »
did you order books online, or just go to the bookstore today after getting your schedule?

A bit of both.  I got Civil Procedure, Torts and Contract Law from the Bookstore.  I got the Civil Procedure Supplement, American Courts, and Property Law books from Amazon.

how come u didn't try and see if any 2Ls were selling there books?  I got great books that way (with hardly any writing, no highlighting, etc).  i saved a lot of $$ that way.

mantis

• View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: August 24, 2007, 02:10:28 AM »

how come u didn't try and see if any 2Ls were selling there books?  I got great books that way (with hardly any writing, no highlighting, etc).  i saved a lot of $$ that way.

Did you just approach people and ask?  Was there a forum or something?

I feel like I won't get there in time to get the jump on my book situation, so I ordered a few from amazon (got a great deal on my future civil procedure text...) but I figure I'll just check out the scene at the bookstore and get the rest there.  I checked barristerbooks, half, and lawbooksforless.com and most of them seemed fairly comparable in price.  I hate to run the risk of buying a used book in "good" condition online and having to deal with someone else's notes/highlighting.  We'll see...

Hendi

« Reply #2493 on: August 24, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
There is some sort of officially sacntioned "sell your books to the kiddies" event some time durring orientation if I recall if you're willing to hold out, though it might be a risk to wait that long to see if they have what you need if you can get good deals online.

Rusty Shackleford

• #1 OATLAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: August 24, 2007, 08:35:25 AM »

Yeah I didn't really know any 2Ls, and I was already at the Bookstore, so I was able to compare their prices with those on Amazon and find the best of both.  I am kinda worried about the Amazon books, but I believe all of the books I ordered were either "like new" or "new."  Here's hoping that they are right.

« Reply #2495 on: August 24, 2007, 09:15:08 AM »

Did you just approach people and ask?  Was there a forum or something?

I feel like I won't get there in time to get the jump on my book situation, so I ordered a few from amazon (got a great deal on my future civil procedure text...) but I figure I'll just check out the scene at the bookstore and get the rest there.  I checked barristerbooks, half, and lawbooksforless.com and most of them seemed fairly comparable in price.  I hate to run the risk of buying a used book in "good" condition online and having to deal with someone else's notes/highlighting.  We'll see...

yah CLS has this courseweb forum thing where you can post a lot of diff things and there is a section for buying books from students.  it saved me a shitload of money.

« Reply #2496 on: August 24, 2007, 10:13:36 PM »
Section 2 here!

yay!  that was my section!

« Reply #2497 on: August 24, 2007, 10:14:44 PM »
Also, does anybody know when we'll find out about when our Legal Writing classes are?

probably not until orientation.  on thursday, you have your first mini LW class, and i believe they tell you then.

« Reply #2498 on: August 24, 2007, 10:20:50 PM »
There is some sort of officially sacntioned "sell your books to the kiddies" event some time durring orientation if I recall if you're willing to hold out, though it might be a risk to wait that long to see if they have what you need if you can get good deals online.

yeah, the Equal Justice Foundation sponsors a book sale during orientation--last year it wasn't until SUNDAY before classes, but this year we are bumping it up to friday.  it's a good deal, and a good cause.  even if you bought casebooks, it's a good idea to stop by for supplements.

which reminds me... i still have all my old casebooks and "how to succeed in ls" books sitting in a corner.  i was too lazy to sell them, basically.  the casebooks will have pencil writing and highlighting, tho.... i do have some supplements that i almost never opened.  pm me if you're interested.

oh yeah, do any of you newbies play tennis?  if so, be sure to join the penn law tennis club!   :)

« Reply #2499 on: August 25, 2007, 10:28:40 AM »
Section 2 here!

yay!  that was my section!

any experience to share?
i don't play tennis, but i would be glad to watch  ;) oh the sport fans who just like to watch...