Law School Discussion

University of Pennsylvania Class of 2010

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
Re: University of Pennsylvania Class of 2010
« Reply #2470 on: August 13, 2007, 10:39:20 PM »
Or, better yet, since the bookstore website is down 'to better serve the students': log on to Goat, course portal, textbook lists.

I like how each section has totally different books for the same classes, so we can't even try to buy them early from Amazon.

I noticed this as well.  Pretty anti-competitive, no?  Though, IIRC, we can get super-fast shipping from Amazon so long as we purchase our books asap once we find out our sections.  Or we can race to the bookstore to buy the used copies. or something.  we find out our sections during "registration" right?

I think so.  I also wonder if the textbooks are really different at all, or just the same cases with different pagination.

mantis

• View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: August 13, 2007, 11:23:03 PM »
I noticed this as well.  Pretty anti-competitive, no?  Though, IIRC, we can get super-fast shipping from Amazon so long as we purchase our books asap once we find out our sections.  Or we can race to the bookstore to buy the used copies. or something.  we find out our sections during "registration" right?

Oh yeahhhh... I didn't even think of the anti-competitive aspect.  Interesting.

So we find out sections during registration.. we don't have actual times for that yet, right?

Oh, nerdy excitement...

« Reply #2472 on: August 15, 2007, 09:00:48 PM »
I bought my books from Amazon last year, and it WAS a total pain.  I read my first case assignments from the bookstore books, which was annoying because I couldn't underline and highlight. 

FWIW, my advice is to just get your books from the bookstore.  If you want clean copies, Amazon doesn't save THAT much, and the time you spend worrying about your books' arrivals is better spent worrying about the cases themselves.  Also, I was particularly stressed because two of my books turned out to be the wrong version--one was the seller's fault, and the other was mine (the prof just told us to get the "latest edition" of the casebook, which wasn't the latest edition available on amazon).

Rusty Shackleford

• #1 OATLAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: August 18, 2007, 02:49:52 PM »
So I'm in town.  Any body else here and wanna get together?

« Reply #2474 on: August 19, 2007, 06:20:56 PM »
All my stuff's been there for a few months, but I don't get there for keeps until Thursday/Friday.  Excited, but definitely getting more nervous by the day.

« Reply #2475 on: August 20, 2007, 07:40:53 PM »
I'm wondering, is there a "homepage" kinda webpage for Penn Law student? with all the in-campus urgent news, useful links to acadamic, health, student groups, administrative, even restaurant rating? (b/c my undergrad had one and it was really helpful).
Getting excited to meet you all soon!

« Reply #2476 on: August 21, 2007, 01:05:58 AM »
Here's an "unofficial" homepage:  http://pennlaw2010.googlepages.com/home

« Reply #2477 on: August 21, 2007, 01:24:05 PM »
Here's an "unofficial" homepage:  http://pennlaw2010.googlepages.com/home

wow, thank you!! that site is really great! whoever put it up should get a cookie!
also been checking out here
http://medley.isc-seo.upenn.edu/penn_portal/portal.php

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: August 22, 2007, 12:13:38 PM »
I'm wondering, is there a "homepage" kinda webpage for Penn Law student? with all the in-campus urgent news, useful links to acadamic, health, student groups, administrative, even restaurant rating? (b/c my undergrad had one and it was really helpful).
Getting excited to meet you all soon!

http://goat.law.upenn.edu/

« Reply #2479 on: August 23, 2007, 10:11:47 AM »
Hey all, just reposting what willmcenroe announced on the admitted students' board: Schedules and sections are up! Check out the PennInTouch site off of the Goat course portal.