Law School Discussion

University of Virginia Class of 2010

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Virginia Class of 2010
« Reply #1460 on: May 24, 2007, 07:26:03 AM »
Yeah, it's like sunken treasure. Your patio is located somewhere at the bottom of the Atlantic.

« Reply #1461 on: May 24, 2007, 07:26:46 AM »
Yeah, it's like sunken treasure. Your patio is located somewhere at the bottom of the Atlantic.

ooh good to know, many thanks for clearing that up  ;)

« Reply #1462 on: May 24, 2007, 07:28:41 AM »
I am so disgusted with Ivy already...and we haven't even moved in yet!  They are the most unresponsive management I've ever dealt with (not that I've dealt with a lot of apt. management ppl, but still!).  I call and it just goes to vmail, I e-mail and they don't respond...grrr!

does anyone know what it means to have a sunken patio? 

At Ivy, the first floor apartments are really sort of halfway underground, their floor is below ground level. If the first floor apartments have patios, their patios are sunken below ground level too - maybe that's what they mean?

The Ivy people really pissed me off yesterday.

'tiki

• Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: May 24, 2007, 08:16:51 AM »

Second of all, IT'S A f-ing JOKE. This is like Harvard chanting "Safety school" at games against other Ivy League schools. No one in their right mind actually thinks Penn sucks; that's what makes it fun. Seriously, being insulted because someone said Penn sucks is like Scarlett Johanssen getting upset because someone called her ugly.

I couldn't help but laugh because at hockey games it is Cornell that calls Harvard a safety school and BU rejects.  :D

« Reply #1464 on: May 24, 2007, 08:31:50 AM »
Something I forgot to ask admissions - is it possible to get in-state tuition after a year?  The guy made it seem like I'd be paying out of state all three years.  (Not a huge difference, but I'm curious as I'm trying to cost/benefit UCLA, UVA, and Chicago.)

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1465 on: May 24, 2007, 08:32:53 AM »
Something I forgot to ask admissions - is it possible to get in-state tuition after a year?  The guy made it seem like I'd be paying out of state all three years.  (Not a huge difference, but I'm curious as I'm trying to cost/benefit UCLA, UVA, and Chicago.)

Only if you can get a job paying VA taxes. VA is notoriously impossible to get in-state tuition for.

« Reply #1466 on: May 24, 2007, 08:41:29 AM »

Only if you can get a job paying VA taxes. VA is notoriously impossible to get in-state tuition for.

Hn.  So a paid summer gig doesn't count?  Not that it really matters; it's only a $10,000 difference.

AlphaBusey

• SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: May 24, 2007, 10:20:09 AM »
Wow, thread's f-ing piling up today.  Where to begin...

M1: I think you're going to be screwed, buddy.  Not only do I highly doubt you have someone who can stick Johnny, but we already have a few other fast cutters which I think you're going to have problems sticking.  And the worst kink in your little plan...  I finally started running again, and I managed to clock a 19:41 5k this weekend, with enough left to kick the last 400m.  That's about 1:20 or so off my "in-shape" time, but it's a beginning.  So while I still have some, uh, extra packaging to ditch between now and then, I'm well on my way.  Actually, *&^%, disregard all of the above.  Put your slow handler on me for the first 5 points.  After I've burned his ass for 5, we'll talk about it .  In summary: The *&^% they do to you in prison's going to seem like a 5-star vacation when we're through with you all. ;)

And about Ivy, it sucks.  It reminds me a lot of my current slum...  err, landlord here at OSU.  So if the experience is the same, you may need to prepare yourself for some real bull, i.e. learn a little basic plumbing so you can fix the toilet yourself, accept you might have to shovel your parking area yourself when it snows, etc.  I'm not saying having to do any of the above is stuff you should have to do, but it's just reflective of my experience with bad landlords.  The only real problem becomes if the heat goes out...  can't really fix that.  In which case, if they don't come in a day, camp out at their front desk until they crack.  But at least we're all going to suffer together, right? ;)

And I was going to post something long and profane about laying off IF, but Johnny, you handled it magnificently.  So instead of that, I'm going to go for a swim.  Then negate it by drinking a ton of beer.  Then go to class.  Should be fun.

IF

• View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: May 24, 2007, 10:59:06 AM »
Wow, lot of stuff did ple up today.  Johnny, you did handle that really, really well.  Thanks.  It's annoying having to deal with BS like that, so I appreciate it.

And yeah, I got a feeling Ivy's gonna be problems.  But with so many tenants they gotta be careful.

Old Towner

• Do you know where the powder packets are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: May 24, 2007, 01:35:40 PM »
Just getting caught back up (folks sure have been frisky recently)...sad to see we've lost some good folks. And Johnny, nice job, seems like you've got the conflict mediation thing down.

As for Ivy, I agree that it looks like management is going to be a real pain. I was hoping to live with my cousin, who'll be a 3L, but he renewed the lease on his one bedroom and they won't let him change. I got an offer from them today on a one bedroom myself so after some negotiation of the start date, I'll probably be stuck with that. But, I agree with Alpha, at least we're all in this together.