Law School Discussion

Women: Are you a height bigot?

flyaway

• View Profile
Re: Women: Are you a height bigot?
« Reply #240 on: January 25, 2007, 10:37:35 AM »
Ooh, I've often wished I was shorter because of the adjectives associated with it!  See, if you're tall, you're elegant, hot, or nothing.  Well, sometimes I'm neither elegant nor hot - I'm average or maybe I felt like being a bum and going all day in yoga pants and a ponytail.  Then I get nothing.  If you're short, though, you're almost always at least cute.  I can't pull off "cute".  It just doesn't work.

I understand about the wanting to confer height-related advantages onto your children, though.  Taller people (especially men) are generally seen as leaders, more commanding, etc, and generally have higher salaries than shorter people in the same professions.

Jus' sayin'.

Then again, my mom is 5'0" and my dad is 5'7" and I'm quite a bit taller than they are, so it could happen!

I know what you mean.  When I'm done up, I feel a lot more striking than shorter women.  But if I'm bumming around, I don't feel "cute" at all.  

Lipstick, mascara, and earrings help, though.  Even in yoga pants and a ponytail. :)

Alright, now let's compare our parents' heights and our own height.

Dad: 6'0"
Mom: 5'8" (But she's the shrimp of the family, even of the women.  My 85 year old grandmother was 5'10" most of her life, and even now is probably still 5'8" or 5'9".)
Me: 5'9"
My brother: 6'2.5"

I think it's sort of crazy that my husband is 6'3", while his brother is only 5'9".  To me, that seems like a pretty big height difference for brothers.  His mom his short, his dad's about 6 feet, but I think there are some tall men on his mom's side of the family, even though the women are all tiny.

« Reply #241 on: January 25, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
Mom - 5'4" or 5'5"
Dad - 5'6" or 5'7"

Me - 5'1"

I *would* presumably be a couple inches taller if it weren't for my crooked spine ... but hey, them's the breaks :)

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 25, 2007, 10:43:50 AM »

I think all things (weight, beauty, facial symmetry, bone structure etc) held equal, a taller person is more attractive than a shorter person (until about 6'1 for women and 6'6 for men). I think taller people, especially long-limbed, long-necked ones, tend to look more elegant in clothing, can pull of a more sophisticated look, have a more commanding presence by virtue of the fact that everyone isn't towering over them, and are more likely to be taken seriously.

I'm going by complaints I've heard from my short friends and what I've seen myself. I used to be roommates with a bunch of asian girls who could never wear the types of clothing I could pull off b/c they had short legs, long torsos and all maxed out at like 5'3. They were the first to point out to me the difficulties short people feel they face and actually do face. One of them took everything height-related really personally and always pointed out that I was referred to as "graceful" "gazelle-like" "elegant" etc while she got "cute" "adorable" "cuddly" etc. I sympathized with her but I was glad I'm 5'8, and would rather confer that small advantage to a future daughter of mine than have her height be something she has to overcome.

I'm acquaintances with a couple of short guys (one is 5'5 and the other looks a little taller, maybe 5'6). The 5'5 one has a really great body, great sense of humor, and is very nice yet every girl I know would never date him b/c of his height. I took issue with a few girls over that but then I realized I was being a hypocrite b/c even if I was single, I still wouldn't want to date a 5'5 guy. So it's like all his personal charm can't overcome that one feature. I dont want my son dealing with that if I can help it.

Height isn't a terribly big deal. But I'd like to confer as many advantages, physically and otherwise, to my future children as possible. I picked my SO b/c of who he is personality-wise, but I was also aware of his advantageous attributes. I guess I'm sounding weird now, but whatev.

Interesting stuff.  I wonder why short girls feel so insecure.  There's nothing wrong with cute and cuddly.  I would think it would be the guys who would be insecure.  I have a theory that short guys tend to be more outgoing, even bordering on annoying, around women because they feel they have to compensate for their height, while taller guys can be more relaxed/laid back.  Many exceptions of course; just a generalization.  

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 25, 2007, 10:46:56 AM »

I think all things (weight, beauty, facial symmetry, bone structure etc) held equal, a taller person is more attractive than a shorter person (until about 6'1 for women and 6'6 for men). I think taller people, especially long-limbed, long-necked ones, tend to look more elegant in clothing, can pull of a more sophisticated look, have a more commanding presence by virtue of the fact that everyone isn't towering over them, and are more likely to be taken seriously.

I'm going by complaints I've heard from my short friends and what I've seen myself. I used to be roommates with a bunch of asian girls who could never wear the types of clothing I could pull off b/c they had short legs, long torsos and all maxed out at like 5'3. They were the first to point out to me the difficulties short people feel they face and actually do face. One of them took everything height-related really personally and always pointed out that I was referred to as "graceful" "gazelle-like" "elegant" etc while she got "cute" "adorable" "cuddly" etc. I sympathized with her but I was glad I'm 5'8, and would rather confer that small advantage to a future daughter of mine than have her height be something she has to overcome.

I'm acquaintances with a couple of short guys (one is 5'5 and the other looks a little taller, maybe 5'6). The 5'5 one has a really great body, great sense of humor, and is very nice yet every girl I know would never date him b/c of his height. I took issue with a few girls over that but then I realized I was being a hypocrite b/c even if I was single, I still wouldn't want to date a 5'5 guy. So it's like all his personal charm can't overcome that one feature. I dont want my son dealing with that if I can help it.

Height isn't a terribly big deal. But I'd like to confer as many advantages, physically and otherwise, to my future children as possible. I picked my SO b/c of who he is personality-wise, but I was also aware of his advantageous attributes. I guess I'm sounding weird now, but whatev.

Interesting stuff.  I wonder why short girls feel so insecure.  There's nothing wrong with cute and cuddly.  I would think it would be the guys who would be insecure.  I have a theory that short guys tend to be more outgoing, even bordering on annoying, around women because they feel they have to compensate for their height, while taller guys can be more relaxed/laid back.  Many exceptions of course; just a generalization.  

For every short girl there's a tall girl who slouches to appear shorter.  There are insecure people period.  It's silly to use someone else's insecurities to make yourself feel better about your height or lack thereof.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 25, 2007, 10:47:01 AM »
Mom - 5'4" or 5'5"
Dad - 5'6" or 5'7"

Me - 5'1"

I *would* presumably be a couple inches taller if it weren't for my crooked spine ... but hey, them's the breaks :)

does it add to the junk n the trunk?

i had a friend with a bent butt bone and gave her some real nice trunk junk...

« Reply #245 on: January 25, 2007, 10:48:56 AM »
The short man syndrome is very pronounced in some guys. In my freshman year, these two guys on my hallway met the first time. One was about 6'5", the other was about 5'6". The short one started calling him names, insulted him out of hand. Short guys can be very willful. The tall guy just turned the other cheek.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 25, 2007, 10:51:46 AM »

For every short girl there's a tall girl who slouches to appear shorter.  There are insecure people period.  It's silly to use someone else's insecurities to make yourself feel better about your height or lack thereof.

I like the individualist sentiment Moni! 

ADL

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 25, 2007, 10:56:03 AM »
Ooh, I've often wished I was shorter because of the adjectives associated with it!  See, if you're tall, you're elegant, hot, or nothing.  Well, sometimes I'm neither elegant nor hot - I'm average or maybe I felt like being a bum and going all day in yoga pants and a ponytail.  Then I get nothing.  If you're short, though, you're almost always at least cute.  I can't pull off "cute".  It just doesn't work.

I understand about the wanting to confer height-related advantages onto your children, though.  Taller people (especially men) are generally seen as leaders, more commanding, etc, and generally have higher salaries than shorter people in the same professions.

Jus' sayin'.

Then again, my mom is 5'0" and my dad is 5'7" and I'm quite a bit taller than they are, so it could happen!
i'm 5'6" & my son's dad is 6'5".
right now my son (13) is 5'6" he's already taller than most of my female friends & as tall or taller than some male friends that i have.  he likes being tall but doesn't want to be as tall or any taller than his dad.  for some reason 6'5" is the cutoff bet. being tall & too tall.

kirps

• Why don't you burn in hell?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: January 25, 2007, 10:56:52 AM »

Interesting stuff.  I wonder why short girls feel so insecure.  There's nothing wrong with cute and cuddly.  I would think it would be the guys who would be insecure.  I have a theory that short guys tend to be more outgoing, even bordering on annoying, around women because they feel they have to compensate for their height, while taller guys can be more relaxed/laid back.  Many exceptions of course; just a generalization. 

I do exactly that, I sometimes get called "a little too much"

BTW.

Dad 5'6"-5'7"
Mom 5'3"
Sister 5'1"
me 5'7"-5'8"

I'm the tallest one in my entire family until you get to cousins where the married-in parent was taller. So I am the tallest of mom,dad,sister,all grandparents, both my mother's sisters, both my dad's sister's, my dads brother, and all but one cousin. its pretty crazy.

« Reply #249 on: January 25, 2007, 10:57:56 AM »
Mom - 5'4" or 5'5"
Dad - 5'6" or 5'7"

Me - 5'1"

does it add to the junk n the trunk?

i had a friend with a bent butt bone and gave her some real nice trunk junk...

Um ... my bones have nothing to do w/ my muscles/fat?  I have scoliosis ... it's crooked like an S - not noticable to people looking at me (just in x-rays).

I do have an ass, though ... I wish it were flatter :-P