Law School Discussion

Women: Are you a height bigot?

Re: Women: Are you a height bigot?
« Reply #230 on: January 23, 2007, 06:13:57 AM »
I'm a reformed height bigot.  I'm 5'2" and I used to only date tall guys - 6' and up.  At first, I wasn't interested in my boyfriend because he's only a couple of inches taller than me, but I was wrong and admit my early mistake.  When I'm in tall heels, I'm actually taller than he is but he thinks it's sexy :)

« Reply #231 on: January 23, 2007, 07:20:33 AM »
I probably wouldn't date a guy shorter than me, but that doesn't matter for 2 majors reasons -

1. I am 5'1"

2. I am engaged (and my fiance happens to be about 5'10" ... but that has nothing to do w/ why I like him or we are together).

« Reply #232 on: January 23, 2007, 07:34:28 AM »
I'm a male and I'm a height bigot:

1.  if she's in heels she should at least reach my shoulder.

That is all.

She would have to be pretty damn short or you pretty damn tall for her not to reach your shoulder in heels! :)

« Reply #233 on: January 23, 2007, 10:03:33 AM »
I'm a male and I'm a height bigot:

1.  if she's in heels she should at least reach my shoulder.

That is all.

She would have to be pretty damn short or you pretty damn tall for her not to reach your shoulder in heels! :)

Yeah... just about all this would rule out are Lolita-like pursuances.

h2xblive

« Reply #234 on: January 23, 2007, 11:55:10 AM »
Coming in late on this one, I'm a pretty tall girl and I've very recently decided to become a height bigot.

I'm 5'10" barefoot, and I've dated guys who are lots shorter than I am!  I've noticed though, that I'm not the one that has a problem with the match - it's usually the guy.  I dated a guy who was 5'7" and he wouldn't hold my hand in public because he said it "looked funny".  (That didn't last long, let me tell you.)  Another guy was 5'9" and he wouldn't let me wear heels when we were together.  In fact, if I was in athletic shoes (they add half an inch or so) he didn't want to walk too close to me.

So, I've noticed that shorter guys have issues with their height... and that is what makes it hard for a taller woman to date them.

Now, if I met a guy who didn't have issues with my being taller than he was, it wouldn't bother me at all (their shoulders are perfect head-resting height!)  But I've dated several and not a single one has been comfortable with my height.   ::)

It's their loss, really.

Maybe you should change the way you find guys to date?  :P

h2xblive

« Reply #235 on: January 23, 2007, 12:06:58 PM »
Maybe you should change the way you find guys to date?  :P

Are there ways to find people to date that I'm unaware of?  Actually, I don't "find" people, since I don't really go looking.  It's the sort of thing that just kind of happens, I suppose.   ;)

I did recently decide to start wearing heels more often, too.  I agree with some of the taller girls on this thread that it can make you feel a little awkward to be tall.  When I wear skinny pants and heels, I feel like I look like a giraffe with boobs!

Tehehehe  :D

thestradgirl

• where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2007, 01:26:53 PM »

really tall girls scare just about everybody

Gisele Bundchen scares me in a good way.

it's fun to scare people in a good way. plus, the easily-intimidated men get weeded out fast -- an added bonus!

i don't think its your height that scares the men off

aww. are you saying i'm scary? :(

and nice/caring/supportive is fantastic, but i prefer those qualities when coupled with strength and confidence. confident men = not scared off nor easily intimidated.

i don't care about any of that bs either.  my comment was in regards to our, clearly, divergent frames of reference.  you flatter yourself by thinking that your height "scares off" or "intimidates" the weak, nonconfident, not strong men.  i meant "scares off" more like drives away.  your glaring character flaws drive the men away, confident or not.  don't flatter yourself.

INCINERATION!

OUCH.

« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2007, 10:18:32 AM »
I'm 5'8 and as long as the guy is at least 5'9, it's doable. David Bowie and Iman made the "equal height but girl taller in heels" look very sexy and in. I don't mind being taller in heels. What I mind is a guy who is short--so 5'9 has always been my cut-off, and I have never been willing to budge below that.

However, if I was anything less than 5'5, I wouldn't date men less than 6ft b/c I wouldn't want my kids (especially my son) to be short. I understand completely why short women don't date short or average men--it's sorta hard to weed the shortness out when you're adding more short genes to your already unduly short genes.

Of course it's possible for two short people to produce tall children, and it's possible for a tall man to have children whose heights are closer to that of his short wife. But I go by probability, not possibility, and the probability of short + tall = taller is much higher than short + short = taller.

As it is, I'm 5'8 and my SO is 5'9.5. He's average height for a man and I'm tall (in comparison to American women). So our kids will very likely be at least average height males and tall females.

You seem to have thought about this a lot.  Why is height so important?

I think all things (weight, beauty, facial symmetry, bone structure etc) held equal, a taller person is more attractive than a shorter person (until about 6'1 for women and 6'6 for men). I think taller people, especially long-limbed, long-necked ones, tend to look more elegant in clothing, can pull of a more sophisticated look, have a more commanding presence by virtue of the fact that everyone isn't towering over them, and are more likely to be taken seriously.

I'm going by complaints I've heard from my short friends and what I've seen myself. I used to be roommates with a bunch of asian girls who could never wear the types of clothing I could pull off b/c they had short legs, long torsos and all maxed out at like 5'3. They were the first to point out to me the difficulties short people feel they face and actually do face. One of them took everything height-related really personally and always pointed out that I was referred to as "graceful" "gazelle-like" "elegant" etc while she got "cute" "adorable" "cuddly" etc. I sympathized with her but I was glad I'm 5'8, and would rather confer that small advantage to a future daughter of mine than have her height be something she has to overcome.

I'm acquaintances with a couple of short guys (one is 5'5 and the other looks a little taller, maybe 5'6). The 5'5 one has a really great body, great sense of humor, and is very nice yet every girl I know would never date him b/c of his height. I took issue with a few girls over that but then I realized I was being a hypocrite b/c even if I was single, I still wouldn't want to date a 5'5 guy. So it's like all his personal charm can't overcome that one feature. I dont want my son dealing with that if I can help it.

Height isn't a terribly big deal. But I'd like to confer as many advantages, physically and otherwise, to my future children as possible. I picked my SO b/c of who he is personality-wise, but I was also aware of his advantageous attributes. I guess I'm sounding weird now, but whatev.

Shut up, girraffe-woman  :D  Just kidding, but it seemed you were dogging on us short people.  I happen to a be short person w/ a short torso and long legs, though ... I can find clothes fine (even easier 20 lbs ago, though ...)  I think it's a matter of opinion whether tall or short people look better ... short girls always look cute/small (unless they are severely overweight), and we can wear HUGE heels or platforms w/o towering over anyone.

Also, how you appear (elegent or domineering, or whatever) is all in personality - not physical stature.  Many people are surprised when they realize how short I am b/c I come off as dominant, assertive (occasionally aggressive ... heh heh), and that makes me SEEM taller ... make sense?

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 25, 2007, 10:27:06 AM »
Coming in late on this one, I'm a pretty tall girl and I've very recently decided to become a height bigot.

I'm 5'10" barefoot, and I've dated guys who are lots shorter than I am!  I've noticed though, that I'm not the one that has a problem with the match - it's usually the guy.  I dated a guy who was 5'7" and he wouldn't hold my hand in public because he said it "looked funny".  (That didn't last long, let me tell you.)  Another guy was 5'9" and he wouldn't let me wear heels when we were together.  In fact, if I was in athletic shoes (they add half an inch or so) he didn't want to walk too close to me.

So, I've noticed that shorter guys have issues with their height... and that is what makes it hard for a taller woman to date them.

Now, if I met a guy who didn't have issues with my being taller than he was, it wouldn't bother me at all (their shoulders are perfect head-resting height!)  But I've dated several and not a single one has been comfortable with my height.   ::)

what would you think of a guy that was only, say, chest high?

« Reply #239 on: January 25, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »

what would you think of a guy that was only, say, chest high?

That motorboatin' son of a female dog.

HAH!