Law School Discussion

Women: Are you a height bigot?

flyaway

• View Profile
Re: Women: Are you a height bigot?
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2007, 01:26:03 PM »
Some women just ARE NOT attracted to short guys.

And sometimes it just takes the right guy.  I have always dated guys who were about six feet tall or taller (I'm 5'3") and loved that they were tall... When I met my current boyf (5'7") I thought, "Well, this isn't going to go anywhere, I like tall guys."  Wrong.  I'm completely crazy about him and the height thing just isn't an issue at all.

I think that's the OP's point.  Some women don't have an open mind or give him that chance.

But some of us have given shorter men (or in my case, since I'm the height of the average man, average-height men) a chance, and they just don't do it for us.  Chemistry.  Not the guy's fault... it's either my fault for my own body image issue of wanting to feel smaller, or it's nobody's fault because people are just attracted to different things.

kirps

• Why don't you burn in hell?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2007, 01:31:25 PM »
5'11" is alright, but below that is sorta freakish. it's supposed to be a relationship, not a circus. just keepin' it real. your race analogy is weak, kirps.

A) you've just called me freakish because I am less than 5' 11" tall. A physical characteristic which I can't change.

B) A racist hates/discriminates against someone for the color of their skin. A physical characteristic which they can't change.

I'm not saying that wanting to date someone taller than you is akin to being an orderly for Dr. Mengele (sp?) But I am saying that the immediate dismissal of someone solely for their height isn't totally innocent either. And we all do things like that, I just want it to bear consideration.

See, I don't think not being romantically attracted to someone is the same as hating or disriminating against him.  You can't really help who you're physically atracted to and who you aren't.

Are you a bigot if you are not attracted to heavy people or tall people or short people?  No... everyone has certain physical characteristics he or she is naturally attracted to in a mate.  For many women, whether it's biological or societal, we want a mate noticeably larger than ourselves.

I don't think the ACLU is going to come after you based on not being attracted to something physical about someone, no matter what it is.  Here's just one interesting study about attraction (more implications for race than height, but height may still apply):

http://cujo.clemson.edu/manuscript.php?manuscript_ID=128

Ok, you get the new best framed answer award. I think this is valid, and I think I have said before that I definitely do the same thing when it comes to some characteristics about women, I know there are some things that usually don't attract me. And I know my male friends have certain things that don't work for them.

The reason I have brought this up is because height has knocked me out of contention more times than I care to count and that bugs me, but also because it seems to be quasi-universal, as you can read from the majority of posts here and probably gather from your own observations. And while I will admit that us guys tend to be more physically judgmental (myself included) I am not sure there is one characteristic like height that men are hung up on, please comment.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2007, 01:32:57 PM »
you could always wear platform shoes...

Or he could just wait for someone who doesnt care about his height, and like mantis said be persistent/great and less bitter.

sounds like SMS to me...

Super Massive Schlong?

how would YOU know?!?!?!
:D :D
have you read the entire thread?

course not.

and dude, just go for the super short girls.

kirps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2007, 01:33:13 PM »
I've also brought it up because I was bored at work and have gotten 8 pages worth of entertainment out of it.

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2007, 01:35:44 PM »
5'11" is alright, but below that is sorta freakish. it's supposed to be a relationship, not a circus. just keepin' it real. your race analogy is weak, kirps.

A) you've just called me freakish because I am less than 5' 11" tall. A physical characteristic which I can't change.

B) A racist hates/discriminates against someone for the color of their skin. A physical characteristic which they can't change.

I'm not saying that wanting to date someone taller than you is akin to being an orderly for Dr. Mengele (sp?) But I am saying that the immediate dismissal of someone solely for their height isn't totally innocent either. And we all do things like that, I just want it to bear consideration.

See, I don't think not being romantically attracted to someone is the same as hating or disriminating against him.  You can't really help who you're physically atracted to and who you aren't.

Are you a bigot if you are not attracted to heavy people or tall people or short people?  No... everyone has certain physical characteristics he or she is naturally attracted to in a mate.  For many women, whether it's biological or societal, we want a mate noticeably larger than ourselves.

I don't think the ACLU is going to come after you based on not being attracted to something physical about someone, no matter what it is.  Here's just one interesting study about attraction (more implications for race than height, but height may still apply):

Ok, you get the new best framed answer award. I think this is valid, and I think I have said before that I definitely do the same thing when it comes to some characteristics about women, I know there are some things that usually don't attract me. And I know my male friends have certain things that don't work for them.

The reason I have brought this up is because height has knocked me out of contention more times than I care to count and that bugs me, but also because it seems to be quasi-universal, as you can read from the majority of posts here and probably gather from your own observations. And while I will admit that us guys tend to be more physically judgmental (myself included) I am not sure there is one characteristic like height that men are hung up on, please comment.

Weight.

End of story. 

A lot of guys have some very unrealistic standards about women and their version of acceptable weight.  I guarantee that overweight girls get knocked out of contention at least as much, if not more, than you do because of height.

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2007, 01:36:15 PM »
im only 5 feet...so pretty much any height is fine for me, with the exclusion of being shorter than me
for me, id say around 5'6 - 5'8 is perfect..too tall feels awkward for me, and it is uncomfortable to hug or kiss standing up unless i am wearing major heels
my ex was only 5'4..and it was fine!

Jessy

« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2007, 01:36:56 PM »

That's an interesting way to look at it... never thought of that. You may be on to something...

By the way, my guy is shorter than you (taller than me, though!), so it does happen (as other posters have pointed out).

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2007, 01:37:07 PM »

I understand, and if I were you, I'd probably feel the same way.  

There probably isn't a single factor that knocks women out of contention the same way (except maybe weight, which is to some degree controllable) I will say that the blonde, large-breasted woman gets more than her fair share of airtime and adoration!

kirps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2007, 01:42:17 PM »
With regard to weight, I would say that is the closest competitor to height. Though weight is (admittedly to a degree) controllable. And weight is honestly the number one killer for me when it comes to girls and their attractiveness. But I know a lot of girls who are overweight to an unhealthy degree that get lots of dudes just because of their boobs. Crude but true.

I

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2007, 01:45:42 PM »
With regard to weight, I would say that is the closest competitor to height. Though weight is (admittedly to a degree) controllable. And weight is honestly the number one killer for me when it comes to girls and their attractiveness. But I know a lot of girls who are overweight to an unhealthy degree that get lots of dudes just because of their boobs. Crude but true.

I

Don't get Miss P and I started on whether or not weight is controllable.  You can't change your body type.