Women: Are you a height bigot?

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: Women: Are you a height bigot?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 08:38:42 AM »
At 5'4", I won't date anyone under 5'10".  Sorry.  :P

What if he is 5'10" with shoes?

It's all just hypothetical for me because I'm not dating, but between 5'11"ish and 6'3"ish would be ideal.

Boss

• You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 08:40:53 AM »
At 5'4", I won't date anyone under 5'10".  Sorry.  :P

What if he is 5'10" with shoes?

My (male) friend is 5'5".  He was engaged to a girl that was 5'10".  She wanted him to wear lifts at the wedding because in her opinion, the groom has to be taller than the bride in every photo.  Um, that would have been 6 inch lifts.  Plus, he was supposed to wear his military dress uniform.  6 inch lifts aren't quite within regulation.  For a variety of reasons the wedding was called off.

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 08:41:01 AM »
Frontline had a show on last week about attractiveness. They followed a study done in Britan that looked at what makes members of the opposite gender attracted to one another. For physical attributes, men preferred an optimal waste to hip ratio (whatever that was, they didn't really define what men considered to be optimal other than it was "hourglass") and women, almost universally, were more attracted to tall men.

This really came as no surprise to me. I am not a tall dude by any means so I've run into the issue before. However, I don't lack from dates nor female suitors. Everyone has their "cutoffs" or "requirements", and if height is said cutoff for female then I'm just not the dude for her. There are plenty of other women out there...

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 08:52:19 AM »

We know that you don't care.  It's the women who care.  Blame it on stereotypes that say that men are supposed to be taller, stronger, etc., and that women are supposed to be able to cuddle up to men and have to look upward to kiss her man.

Exactly.  I'm 5'9", and I just felt like a big, unfeminine oaf the couple times I tried dating a guy 5'9 to 6 feet.  I needed a more significant difference to feel attracted and attractive.

I married a man who is 6'3", and it is the perfect difference!  I am 95th percentile, and he is 93rd (for our ages and race).

I think somewhere inside every tall woman, even supermodels, is that awkward 10 year old girl who was a head taller than all the boys in class and who had already outgrown her mother's shoe size.  Now, I love my height and even wish I were a little taller (though the shopping is a *pain* due to my crazy disproportionately long limbs).  But when I was a kid, tall just meant feeling unfeminine and out of place.

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 08:54:24 AM »
At 5'4", I won't date anyone under 5'10". Sorry. :P

This is exactly the kind of bigotry I have come in to contact with, its like there is a strict number and if you don't meet it you're done. Sort of like if HLS said LSAT less than 179, no dice...

Get over yourself. It's called personal preference. Look up the definition of bigot.

oh, snap!

i don't think i've really had height/weight requirements for women.
as long as they are pleasant in personality and proportion.
although i'm guessing women taller and heavier than me would be accustomed to mating rituals of the amazon.

kirps

• Why don't you burn in hell?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 09:07:20 AM »
Yeah, I guess she told me. If I haven't written this enough in the posts above this is intended, 1) to incite responses from females on their preferences and 2) to be slightly humorous. I am NOT repeat NOT advocating Nuremburg trials for every girl thats turned me down because she's got stilts. I am just saying that in my experience its been a hard and fast cutoff and I do understand there is some biology behind it, it just isn't very fun being nature's female dog.

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 09:08:20 AM »
Yeah, I guess she told me. If I haven't written this enough in the posts above this is intended, 1) to incite responses from females on their preferences and 2) to be slightly humorous. I am NOT repeat NOT advocating Nuremburg trials for every girl thats turned me down because she's got stilts. I am just saying that in my experience its been a hard and fast cutoff and I do understand there is some biology behind it, it just isn't very fun being nature's female dog.

How about the (super) short women?

annab

• I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 09:09:28 AM »
At 5'2", it's pretty impossible for me to be a height bigot.  However, I have dated a few guys over 5'11", and get yelled at by my taller friends for taking all of the tall guys. 

Hey, I can't help it that at my height, the cute index is through the roof. 

Same here.  :)

kirps

• Why don't you burn in hell?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2007, 09:15:38 AM »

How about the (super) short women?

I have no strong preference on height when it comes to women. I have been very attracted to both dwarves and giants so to speak. One of the women I pined after for a good bit in college was lucky if she was 5'. By the same token a couple years later I was retarded for a girl who was 5'10" or so. In my experience the only reason height matters is as an obstacle for me to overcome in getting a date.

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2007, 09:19:09 AM »
there are women out there that like short men.  believe me, i know some of them.

My husband's tallish (6'2), but I've spent time with men shorter and smaller than me.  I'm 5'5, 120 lbs, so that's a small guy.  It was nice to be able to push back.  I had no problem with smaller stature; my problem was with the corresponding attitude problems.

My ideal height would be about 5'8, but I'm ok with my fella.  I'm just always a little surprised when I see how small I look compared to him in pictures.  It's not my preference to look or feel doll-like.

I'm surprised noone has brought up the "short man syndrome" until now...