Law School Discussion

Accepted TODAY !!

Re: Accepted TODAY !!
« Reply #810 on: January 31, 2007, 09:11:27 PM »
In at UCLA via phone call.  Application requested 1/13.  Surprised by the quick turnaround.

You shouldn't be with your numbers.

« Reply #811 on: January 31, 2007, 09:15:26 PM »
It always cracks me up when like...people with 3.9/175 get in to Duke or UCLA or Cornell, and they come on here like "OMGZ I'M SO SURPRISED I GOT IN!#[email protected]#!!!"

« Reply #812 on: January 31, 2007, 09:17:07 PM »
Bitter much? skidder said he/she was surprised by the quick turnaround, not by the acceptance.

mantis

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 31, 2007, 09:27:56 PM »
Bitter much? skidder said he/she was surprised by the quick turnaround, not by the acceptance.

I think skidder had the unfortunate honor of being in closest proximity rather than being the best example of goose's complaint.  In general, I agree with him.  I mean, I'm sure you're a lovely person and all, but your comment about anyone with the numbers getting into Harvard sort of speaks to his complaint: if you're well above the 75s at a school, it's a little silly to come on with the shock at an acceptance.  I sometimes wonder if it's sort of a false-surprise-in-attempt-to-be-humble thing.  I think it's possible to show some humility and gratitude without seeming quite so fake.  Yes yes, this is all mysterious and none of us can read the minds of the adcomms, but come on.  It gets a little old for the people who actually have risky numbers.

RUMike

• I switched it up with a self tar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 31, 2007, 09:40:45 PM »
In at Brooklyn via email.

Were you looking only for a place that would give you money, or did you sell yourself short?

I just REALLY want to be in NYC or the surrounding area when I graduate. And I'd be lying if I said money wasn't a concern.

« Reply #815 on: January 31, 2007, 09:45:06 PM »

Actually, no, I'm not bitter hardly ever.  Make snap judgements much??

Honestly, I was thinking about Skidder AT ALL when I was typing post.  In fact, I wasn't thinking about anyone in particular.

« Reply #816 on: January 31, 2007, 09:46:28 PM »

I think skidder had the unfortunate honor of being in closest proximity rather than being the best example of goose's complaint.  In general, I agree with him.  I mean, I'm sure you're a lovely person and all, but your comment about anyone with the numbers getting into Harvard sort of speaks to his complaint: if you're well above the 75s at a school, it's a little silly to come on with the shock at an acceptance.  I sometimes wonder if it's sort of a false-surprise-in-attempt-to-be-humble thing.  I think it's possible to show some humility and gratitude without seeming quite so fake.  Yes yes, this is all mysterious and none of us can read the minds of the adcomms, but come on.  It gets a little old for the people who actually have risky numbers.

Exactly my point.  Thanks dude.

mantis

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 31, 2007, 09:47:26 PM »

Exactly my point.  Thanks dude.

np  ;)

« Reply #818 on: January 31, 2007, 10:53:28 PM »
In my defense, a couple of my acceptances didn't surprise me, and I didn't pretend they did either. goosenesque, sorry for making a snap judgment. Your comment just seemed out of nowhere unless it was a response to skidder. I do think that law school is largely a numbers game, and if you have 175+ and 3.9+ you're almost certain to get into Harvard (sorry Harvard people, but it's true. True for most schools, I'd say), and I suppose if someone with those numbers came in here acting surprised that they were accepted at a T2 school, I'd be irritated too. I haven't been around long enough to notice that trend. Either that or I don't look at everyone's numbers when they say they've been accepted.

« Reply #819 on: February 01, 2007, 01:43:03 AM »
That is true, but I know admissions calculators gave less than a 50% shot based on previous years for numbers in that range at Yale. Don't know about Stanford, as it's not listed on that thing on LSAC.