Law School Discussion

Accepted TODAY !!

Re: Accepted TODAY !!
« Reply #1190 on: February 08, 2007, 05:22:35 PM »
In at UC Davis today via online status checker.

hotness!

In @ Alabama via phone call from Asst. Director of Admissions...with a full-ride!!  ;D

money is always great..congrats!

« Reply #1191 on: February 08, 2007, 05:37:04 PM »

congrats!
i sent them an lsac report but didn't send in my cert letter and app fee after i got accepted to smu.  is they wanted me they would have given me a waiver :)

i guess i'm leaning towards smu, anyway

Hmmm cert letter? You mean just the one you have to sign with the fee? They just want your money with that. ;) FWIW I don't think UC Davis gives out fee waivers, or if they do, I certainly didn't get one. I take it you'd rather be in Texas than CA, then? If you're not at all sure, I'd encourage you to send it in!

No way dude, I'm happy for you.  Davis is pretty much my top choice now that Boalt is out (and for all intensive purposes, UCLA is out I suspect).

And by the way, if you don't get in anywhere else, you need to head to Davis.

Well, never say never. But it looks like UC Hastings and UC Davis are finally starting to send out a lot of acceptances, so hopefully you'll hear back soon.

basal

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 08, 2007, 05:59:23 PM »
What's so good about UC Davis? Does anyone know?

« Reply #1193 on: February 08, 2007, 06:20:39 PM »

I know about as much as a non-law school student can possibly know about Davis.  Here are, in my opinion, the top 5 things about the school:

1. VERY friendly environment, probably due to the small-town atmosphere, as well as the lack of Socratic Method in classrooms.

2. People aren't obsessed with working at the top firms, so there is less competition, and more cooperation between students.  Also, supposedly students there are in general less egotistical than the average law school student.

3. Though graduates don't get particularly high paying jobs, there is something nice about a school that employs around 80 percent at graduation (MUCH higher than Hastings), and 96 percent 9 months after graduation.

4. Cost of living is cheaper in Davis than almost anywhere else in the state.

5. It's a UC - the UC system is easily the best public university system in the country.

wolfpack2

• I should be reading cases....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 08, 2007, 06:49:46 PM »

I know about as much as a non-law school student can possibly know about Davis.  Here are, in my opinion, the top 5 things about the school:

1. VERY friendly environment, probably due to the small-town atmosphere, as well as the lack of Socratic Method in classrooms.

2. People aren't obsessed with working at the top firms, so there is less competition, and more cooperation between students.  Also, supposedly students there are in general less egotistical than the average law school student.

3. Though graduates don't get particularly high paying jobs, there is something nice about a school that employs around 80 percent at graduation (MUCH higher than Hastings), and 96 percent 9 months after graduation.

4. Cost of living is cheaper in Davis than almost anywhere else in the state.

5. It's a UC - the UC system is easily the best public university system in the country.

Davis has a pretty big following of fans in Reno. I had never even heard of the school until I moved up here and people talk about it like it's one of the best UC schools ever.  I dont know any real details about the school, but if you want to work in Northern Nevada I'm sure your degree would have a lot of opprotunities...not that anyone REALLY wants to work in N Nevada. lol

basal

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 08, 2007, 06:52:49 PM »
Interesting. Does UC Davis have any specialty areas in their curriculum? In otherwords, what are they best known for?

« Reply #1196 on: February 08, 2007, 06:54:44 PM »
Interesting. Does UC Davis have any specialty areas in their curriculum? In otherwords, what are they best known for?

There is an emphasis on social justice (hence the name of the law school, MLK Hall).  I believe they have 4 clinics, two of which are immigration law clinic and prison law clinic.

basal

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 08, 2007, 06:57:04 PM »
How is the area around UC Davis?

« Reply #1198 on: February 08, 2007, 06:59:32 PM »
It's a pretty standard middle-class area.  There are no ghettos or anything close by, and nice, 1 bedroom apartments can be found for about $1,000 a month.  Overall, I'd say compared to other schools in California, the living situation/area around Davis is great.

stjobs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1199 on: February 08, 2007, 07:07:52 PM »
In at Georgetown  :P