Law School Discussion

Accepted TODAY !!

marlinspike

• Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
Re: Accepted TODAY !!
« Reply #1030 on: February 06, 2007, 11:48:58 AM »
Marlinspike and Sigur - yes, I apparently had some profs who thought I was extra-special and gave me A+'s. I had all A's in college.

Can we ask what college and expect an answer? A boost for being extra-special just doesn't seem college level to me. There was once a person who graduated with a 4.0 average at my school...that was 5 years ago. None of the professors here (some of which have been here for a LONG time) can remember what the most recent time was before that. Then again, this school and The University of Chicago are the only two schools I know of which boast about having low grades (according to a professor, a former department head used to take out to dinner at the end of each semester the professor in his department who gave the lowest average GPA...now try saying that 3 times fast).

basal

• View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: February 06, 2007, 11:50:59 AM »
Marlinspike and Sigur - yes, I apparently had some profs who thought I was extra-special and gave me A+'s. I had all A's in college.

Can we ask what college and expect an answer? A boost for being extra-special just doesn't seem college level to me. There was once a person who graduated with a 4.0 average at my school...that was 5 years ago. None of the professors here (some of which have been here for a LONG time) can remember what the most recent time was before that. Then again, this school and The University of Chicago are the only two schools I know of which boast about having low grades (according to a professor, a former department head used to take out to dinner at the end of each semester the professor in his department who gave the lowest average GPA).

Cruel.

marlinspike

• View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: February 06, 2007, 11:54:54 AM »

Can we ask what college and expect an answer? A boost for being extra-special just doesn't seem college level to me. There was once a person who graduated with a 4.0 average at my school...that was 5 years ago. None of the professors here (some of which have been here for a LONG time) can remember what the most recent time was before that. Then again, this school and The University of Chicago are the only two schools I know of which boast about having low grades (according to a professor, a former department head used to take out to dinner at the end of each semester the professor in his department who gave the lowest average GPA).

Cruel.

Yeah, but it also makes one feel very good when one gets a good grade.

Pugnacious

• C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: February 06, 2007, 11:56:18 AM »
Sooooooo....any acceptances today?!

basal

• View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: February 06, 2007, 11:58:18 AM »

Cruel.

Yeah, but it also makes one feel very good when one gets a good grade.

And I'm sure the opposite when one receives an inferior grade.

« Reply #1035 on: February 06, 2007, 11:58:32 AM »
Haha well that's one way to keep grade inflation down! I'd rather not reveal my specific institution in a small attempt to protect my identity (not so much from law schools as from my current employer  ;)). I will tell you this much though - it's a women's college, so it's smaller than most schools, and it is a tier 2 (top 100) institution according to the nationwide undergraduate rankings. I don't know what everyone else's grades were, but I know there weren't THAT many Summa Cum Laude's at graduation.

« Reply #1036 on: February 06, 2007, 11:58:59 AM »
I interpreted aslaw's explanation as meaning that their school doesn't have a scale that requires +/- grading, though professors can give +/-'s if they want, it will go on the transcript but not count for institutional gpa. This is how my undergrad worked (though I was never threatening to break a 4.0). Some profs feel that a 98%+ in their class is "extra special" and deserves a + (these profs would also have assign -'s... I'm pretty sure you can't only give +s).

« Reply #1037 on: February 06, 2007, 12:01:16 PM »
this thread has officially been hijacked.

« Reply #1038 on: February 06, 2007, 12:03:36 PM »
Don't worry, you'll get it back as soon as someone announces their latest acceptance  :)

marlinspike

• View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: February 06, 2007, 12:27:52 PM »
It's 82 pages long, so I really don't think this thread is hijackable.

Basal - actually, when you get a bad grade the response is really just "Meh, well, a D was an average on that test, so my C- is ok." Well, that's the response after your first semester anyways.

To get us back on track, I'm in at Emory today...I think...(mentioned this earlier too, but oh well, back on track now).