Law School Discussion

So what good comes of hanging Saddam?

t...

• View Profile
So what good comes of hanging Saddam?
« on: December 29, 2006, 06:25:57 PM »
Lame.

I suppose it tells the world "Don't be a dictator, and don't invade other nations for their oil, and don't order the death of a group of your nation's citizens, or this is what will happen to you!"

Are they sending Dubya a not-so-veiled message?

Booyakasha2

• Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
Re: So what good comes of hanging Saddam?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 06:31:11 PM »
Our viewing pleasure?  Death comes in threes i suppose....  I suggest we put him in front of a firing range.  See gun thread.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 07:33:15 PM »
I suppose it tells the world "Don't be a dictator, and don't invade other nations for their oil, and don't order the death of a group of your nation's citizens, or this is what will happen to you!"

That's it exactly.

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 09:54:30 PM »
i'm surprised we haven't figured out how to make some money off a pay-per-view special for saddam's hanging

Elephant Lee

• Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 11:21:05 PM »
It is a note of finality for the administration, meaning that they can leave Iraq and claim mixed success.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 01:03:24 AM »
Hanging?  This is the new Iraq?  Was the guy who draws and quarters people on vacation or something?

Our money was so well spent. 

To be fair, hanging is a very humane form of execution when done properly. When not, well...just imagine a fried electric chair.

Random legal fact of the day: In English legal tradition, someone sentenced to death who survived the initial hanging was pardoned.

Reesespbcup

• Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 04:49:17 AM »

To be fair, hanging is a very humane form of execution when done properly. When not, well...just imagine a fried electric chair.

Random legal fact of the day: In English legal tradition, someone sentenced to death who survived the initial hanging was pardoned.

Ha! The irony! Just like during the Salem Witch trials: they'd tie the women up and throw them into the water. If they sank they were innocent and if they floated they were "guilty" and would be killed anyway.

I donít believe that hanging could ever really be humane since one stays conscious until the brain is so deprived of oxygen that the person passes out and dies. It has to take several minutes.

On the Sadam thing: Haven't we killed more people since invading Iraq than Sadam did? Does it matter that our purpose was "noble"? And anyway, who defines just cause (ie what is noble)?

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 05:09:48 AM »
It is a note of finality for the administration, meaning that they can leave Iraq and claim mixed success.

emphasis most decidedly on "mixed."  ok, how about "just sliver"?

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 05:54:13 PM »
Lame.

Well, I don't think it will have much deterrence effect, at most if a dictator is stuck between a rock and a hard place again, like Saddam was in 2002 and early 2003, maybe they choose to give way to the super-powers, it seems usually leaders stuck in between a rock (we'll say superpowers) and a hard place (rivals within their own region), choose to defy the superpowers as the lesser evil, I am thinking Al-Nassir going to war with Israel knowing he wasn't going to win so that he would not appear soft compared to his rivals, or Saddam knowing he had no WMD's, pretending like he might have production capabilities and such to scare off his old rival (who he attacked unprovoked over 20 years before) Iran.  Maybe...but I doubt it, the more familiar evil always seems more dangerous.

It probably does give solace to some victims, but in a larger sense, its not any triumph of justice, for that matter, I am against capital punishment in general, but this is especially useless because it seems from the way the trial and everything was done in Iraq, he was sentenced to death not for his mass murders, but more as a symbol of something-not sure what.

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 06:11:31 PM »
I donít believe that hanging could ever really be humane since one stays conscious until the brain is so deprived of oxygen that the person passes out and dies. It has to take several minutes.
When hanging is done properly, the neck is broken instantly and the person is dead, or at least unconscious.