Law School Discussion

Deferred at Penn!!!

Re: Deferred at Penn!!!
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2006, 05:57:52 PM »
I'm pretty shocked they'd defer someone with your numbers and an URM. Perhaps they're yield protecting?

Yeah, seeing as how Reach is a Darrow recipient at Michigan, I'd say it looks like Penn's at it again w/ its notorious YP.

ThatGuy84

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2006, 07:34:54 PM »
Does the title of this thread seem strange to anyone else?  It catches my eye every time I'm looking at the board.

ThatGuy84

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2006, 09:25:12 PM »
Deferred at Penn. Which was my #1. I am a little shocked considering my numbers and my Why Penn

Penn is...strange

Ted Buckland, ESQ

• Leverage??... Torts??...Ruth Bader who???
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2006, 09:31:37 PM »
Deferred at Penn. Which was my #1. I am a little shocked considering my numbers and my Why Penn

Penn is...strange

Indeed.

Rockie

• Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2006, 09:43:50 PM »

Schools are weird, Im surpised you were deferred at Cornell too. These schools must seriously have a narrow range of numbers they believe will truly enroll and just YP everyone else.

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2006, 10:04:46 PM »
Clearly something more is going on than just yield protection though.  The process has to be more complicated than just some range of numbers... There are applicants with GPAs that are 3.9+ and LSATs that are 170+ who get into Penn.

ThatGuy84

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2006, 10:08:47 PM »
Clearly something more is going on than just yield protection though.  The process has to be more complicated than just some range of numbers... There are applicants with GPAs that are 3.9+ and LSATs that are 170+ who get into Penn.

I agree, but then again I don't have anything that really separates me from the pack.  That's why I'm so confused.

Reach

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2006, 10:58:37 PM »
I know this doesn't make getting deferred any better of an outcome, but at least we are all among well qualified applicants.  This means we shouldn't assume any glaring faults since other strong candidates were also binned in the hold file.  It's apparently just how Penn does it, and I suppose that shouldn't be too much of a surprise given that they have a modestly sized entering class.  Most of us even wrote a "Why Penn" essay, so it's not like we have reason to kick ourselves.  I guess it's just how it goes sometimes. 

I'll have to decide what I want to send in to them.  My transcript is already on its way there, and now I'll just have to supplement it with something.  I'm thinking, perhaps, a statement of purpose so that they know what I'm about and whether my objectives fit their institution.

As a final note, isn't it cruel that they plan to have their deferrals decided by or on April 1?  How would you like to get a nod on April Fools Day and have to wonder if it were merely the product of a dissatisfied and malicious worker?

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2006, 07:04:28 AM »
just out of curiousity, is it possible to get in (after being deferred) without sending in additional materials?

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2006, 12:29:31 PM »
penn's your #1? you have excellent numbers and I don't think you should let this deferral bring you down. i think you stand an excellent chances at other schools, like columbia or even harvard.