Law School Discussion

Deferred at Penn!!!

Reach

• View Profile
Re: Deferred at Penn!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2006, 04:17:26 PM »
I just opened my hold letter so I guess I'm joining the group here.  I wrote a "Why Penn" (a decent one I thought) but I guess there's something about me they aren't too sure about.  I went into this cycle with Penn as my #1 choice, and although things changed a bit as I learned more about Michigan and Virginia, it's still part of the Big Three for me.  We'll see what happens.

I'm pretty shocked they'd defer someone with your numbers and an URM. Perhaps they're yield protecting?

Although my pride would like to think so, I honestly don't think I have the numbers or the life achievements to be yield protected by one of the nation's best law schools.  I must simply be deficient in some area they value...I know some claim that they emphasize elite undergraduate institutions, and I recently graduated from about as far from that as can be (although I am extremely happy with my experience and the faculty there).  So no, I don't think I was yield protected.

Quote from: ThatGuyS4
It could be that everyone knows you will get into Yale.

Haha, thanks...that's a nice thought too.

Rockie

• Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2006, 04:19:31 PM »
I just opened my hold letter so I guess I'm joining the group here.  I wrote a "Why Penn" (a decent one I thought) but I guess there's something about me they aren't too sure about.  I went into this cycle with Penn as my #1 choice, and although things changed a bit as I learned more about Michigan and Virginia, it's still part of the Big Three for me.  We'll see what happens.

I'm pretty shocked they'd defer someone with your numbers and an URM. Perhaps they're yield protecting?

Although my pride would like to think so, I honestly don't think I have the numbers or the life achievements to be yield protected by one of the nation's best law schools.  I must simply be deficient in some area they value...I know some claim that they emphasize elite undergraduate institutions, and I recently graduated from about as far from that as can be (although I am extremely happy with my experience and the faculty there).  So no, I don't think I was yield protected.

I don't know man, a 4.0 degree and a 171 should be enough to get you in, I was deferred with less. Plus being an URM means another 3-5 points to your LSAT score, so I'm thinking they're thinking you're headed somewhere else higher. It's weird. You should write them a LOCI expressing that Penn is your #1 choice and that you'd go if let in (unless you feel differently now).

Reach

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2006, 04:30:18 PM »

I don't know man, a 4.0 degree and a 171 should be enough to get you in, I was deferred with less. Plus being an URM means another 3-5 points to your LSAT score, so I'm thinking they're thinking you're headed somewhere else higher. It's weird. You should write them a LOCI expressing that Penn is your #1 choice and that you'd go if let in (unless you feel differently now).

Some things have changed, but Penn is still a top pick and somewhere I'd visit before making a final decision.  It sucks too, because I let them know about my final transcript the same day they wrote that hold letter.  Ah well...we'll see how it goes.  But thanks for the ego boost.

Is Penn your #1 pick?

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2006, 04:31:46 PM »
Deferred!

Has anyone been outright rejected?

Rockie

• Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2006, 04:33:24 PM »
Is Penn your #1 pick?

It will be if they let me in!  :D

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2006, 04:35:04 PM »
i'm guessing theres a hold letter waiting for me back at school, but i wont know about that until the 15th of january (oh god).  any idea what a deferral at upenn can mean in terms of admissions to nyu??? thats the one im really concerned about...thanks!!

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2006, 04:36:13 PM »
Deferred!

Has anyone been outright rejected?

supposedly there are some that have been rejected on lsn...

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2006, 04:37:31 PM »
How does a deferral affect my ED status? Must I still committ to them if accepted?

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2006, 04:49:42 PM »
Also deferred at Penn. Not my first choice, but let's be honest - it still stings a little. Here's hoping that everyone who has Penn #1 gets in.

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2006, 05:01:00 PM »
SO may deferred people I'm begining to wonder if there's even a chance of me getting in.