Law School Discussion

Deferred at Penn!!!

Towelie

• View Profile
Re: Deferred at Penn!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 12:04:36 PM »
Deferred as well.

Question: In the letter it says you need to send them an updated transcript with Fall Grades. Not only that but they want it sent through LSDAS. Sadly, my GPA went down slightly this past semester and I don't want to send an update to LSDAS which would cause all schools, including those making a decision on me to see it.

Am I screwed here?

Same exact thing happened to me.

I chose NOT to send LSAC my fall grades because I was afraid it would hurt me at the schools I was waiting on. I would NOT reccomend this strategy, although it worked for me. There's a new dean of admissions now and I can't say whether or not she'd let that slide, like Dean Meeker did last year for me. It really is a bad strategy, but I thought I'd share because I feel your pain. I really do.

Rockie

• Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 12:18:01 PM »
Deferred as well.

Question: In the letter it says you need to send them an updated transcript with Fall Grades. Not only that but they want it sent through LSDAS. Sadly, my GPA went down slightly this past semester and I don't want to send an update to LSDAS which would cause all schools, including those making a decision on me to see it.

Am I screwed here?

Same exact thing happened to me.

I chose NOT to send LSAC my fall grades because I was afraid it would hurt me at the schools I was waiting on. I would NOT reccomend this strategy, although it worked for me. There's a new dean of admissions now and I can't say whether or not she'd let that slide, like Dean Meeker did last year for me. It really is a bad strategy, but I thought I'd share because I feel your pain. I really do.

Interesting. Ok, well I'm not going to send an update then as long as they don't say anything else about it. Did you send them a transcript though, or nothing?

Drew P. Bottom

• You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 01:41:49 PM »
Deferred! First negative news of the cycle.

I did experience something that makes me question how much I want to go to Penn. Here's the dialogue:

Me: I got deferred at Penn, first bad news from a law school.

Dad: Oh, I remember when you were little you loved the Lions football team.

Me: But that was Penn State.

Dad: Aren't they the same.

Me: No. UPenn is an ivy league, Penn State is a pretty good law school.

Luckilly he did not say anything about Joe Paterno.

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 01:53:23 PM »
Magic, I had the same conversation with my friend yesterday after I told her I got in.  Unless I get a call from Columbia, it looks like I'll be spending the next 3 years running a PR campaign to enlighten people about the difference between UPenn and Penn State.

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 01:54:17 PM »
hehe that's like my mom

"oh i hope you get into penn state, then i can tell everyone at work"
"upenn"
"oh whatever, i'll get it right if you get in. and i'll make sure everyone else gets it right too"
"thanks mom."

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 02:01:03 PM »
Towelie,

did you submit your extra documents via LSDAS (i dont even know if you can do this?) or via snail mail? who did you address your letters do. Dear so and so? thanks for all your help!

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 03:26:17 PM »
got my deferral today. i expected a rejection, so i'm happy not to have gotten one. i didn't submit a why penn the first time, so i'm going to try my darndest to write a good one now. also maybe get my supervisor to write me an LOR explaining my commitment to public interest. does this sound like a decent plan? would it be smart to send another writing sample, like a paper from college? or should i focus my efforts on penning a perfect why penn essay and just send that?

Reach

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2006, 04:08:59 PM »
I just opened my hold letter so I guess I'm joining the group here.  I wrote a "Why Penn" (a decent one I thought) but I guess there's something about me they aren't too sure about.  I went into this cycle with Penn as my #1 choice, and although things changed a bit as I learned more about Michigan and Virginia, it's still part of the Big Three for me.  We'll see what happens.

Rockie

• Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2006, 04:10:26 PM »
I just opened my hold letter so I guess I'm joining the group here.  I wrote a "Why Penn" (a decent one I thought) but I guess there's something about me they aren't too sure about.  I went into this cycle with Penn as my #1 choice, and although things changed a bit as I learned more about Michigan and Virginia, it's still part of the Big Three for me.  We'll see what happens.

I'm pretty shocked they'd defer someone with your numbers and an URM. Perhaps they're yield protecting?

ThatGuy84

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2006, 04:11:37 PM »

It could be that everyone knows you will get into Yale.