Law School Discussion

My thoughts on the post mortem

pierard

Re: My thoughts on the post mortem
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 02:51:21 PM »
Can I have $5 also?



Do I get $5 from all of you when I am proven to be right? You guys have been duped by the writers of the LSAT, I'm sorry you missed these questions chump-syle, but we all make mistakes, live with it and move on! :D

Re: My thoughts on the post mortem
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 02:55:34 PM »
O.k., where do YOU guys get your facts. I took the PowerScore prep class and every question, they only use real LSAT questions, they would give a % for. There were some ones where like 50% of the people chose the wrong answer and like 25% chose the right answer. I did not state this to be true for every right answer I gave, but at least for the dermatologist one I know this will probably be true. Possibly the murder mystery too, because most of the people who are correct probably didn't vote on this site, you guys must have a lot of 150 scorers on here voting.

Re: My thoughts on the post mortem
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 02:56:43 PM »
tag (for when real results come in)

Re: My thoughts on the post mortem
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 02:56:55 PM »
Having not taken the LSAT in December, I previously had no reason to be interested in when scores came out.
I would like to thank Hump for giving me a reason to care.


You're welcome!

honna

  • ****
  • 211
    • View Profile
Re: My thoughts on the post mortem
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 02:59:00 PM »
O.k., where do YOU guys get your facts. I took the PowerScore prep class and every question, they only use real LSAT questions, they would give a % for. There were some ones where like 50% of the people chose the wrong answer and like 25% chose the right answer. I did not state this to be true for every right answer I gave, but at least for the dermatologist one I know this will probably be true. Possibly the murder mystery too, because most of the people who are correct probably didn't vote on this site, you guys must have a lot of 150 scorers on here voting.
I took june test, 168, so i decide to take it again. I intend not to comment on your score,but... I think your anwers fall within the scope of 5%,not 20%. Dont confuse us by mentionning Powerscore, i took it too.

Re: My thoughts on the post mortem
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 02:59:36 PM »
Hey guys, I think you did a good job, for the most part, on the post mortem. But I can see a few that I know 100% are wrong. People have argued with me saying that “the majority says blank”, but think about it: If everyone that votes is pretty much right, then we would all be getting extremely high raw scores. I have researched questions where only like 20% of people got the answer right. So I am going to correct a few. Here they are:

1. Murder mystery- The real answer is that it couldn’t be Jansen’s fingerprints.

I know this because the one everyone is putting about “there couldn’t be anyone else in the room” is already stated at the beginning of the squib. If the fingerprints are Jansen’s, there is no way the conclusion could be the girl being the murderer, since the squib said she left no footprints, and, for her to be the murderer, she had to leave either footprints or fingerprints.

2. Dermatologist- this is the most obviously wrong answer yet. PowerScore even says that this is ALWAYS a trick response. This doesn’t matter to make the argument work. They could have only interviewed 4 dermatologists and the argument still stands. You guys were tricked.

The real response is that “they are assuming that 75% of dermatologists know more than the other 25%”. This was not proven by the squib. This weakens the advertisement because, “who’s to say if it is better and by what standards do we evaluate each dermatologists claim?”

3.  Garden and the sliding glass door- I think the correct answer was that “in winter, the door would have to be arranged in a certain way as not to change the effect”.

4. The walk on the beach question- the real answer is that “walking on the beach is not guaranteed to make a person happy the next time they walk on the beach”. The squib said long-term happiness or something to this extent. Happiness never shifts in meaning, I checked the squib a couple of times to make sure during the test. Also, something shifting in meaning is generally a trick answer on most LSAT’s. Think back and you will agree.

5. I think the “companies hire only when things are static” is also wrong but I will concede I don’t remember what the right answer was.

6. I’m pretty sure the one about people “not using scientific theories until they are long dead” was also a trick response. The real answer was a little more specific. But I am also unsure on this one.

7. The opera singer one- 100% the minority answer is correct. I re-checked this and the only answer that worked was the one where “only experienced singers should attempt blank”
The other responses were either too general or too strong to back up the claim.


Please do not get angry at me for this, for these are JUST my opinions. Thanks, and hopefully this helps.




I disagree with 1-4 and 6.  I specifically want to address your reasoning on 4.  Happiness illicitly changed meanings throughout the stimulous.  At one point it was referring to overall happiness in one's life and at another point it was referring to individual instances of happiness.  To illustrate my point, just because someone feels happy at a certain point in time it does not mean that person is happy in general.  I agree this is almost always an incorrect answer choice, but not this time.

I appreciate your opinion, but the tone of your posts have been irritating.

honna

  • ****
  • 211
    • View Profile
Re: My thoughts on the post mortem
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 03:05:23 PM »
Hey guys, I think you did a good job, for the most part, on the post mortem. But I can see a few that I know 100% are wrong. People have argued with me saying that “the majority says blank”, but think about it: If everyone that votes is pretty much right, then we would all be getting extremely high raw scores. I have researched questions where only like 20% of people got the answer right. So I am going to correct a few. Here they are:

1. Murder mystery- The real answer is that it couldn’t be Jansen’s fingerprints.

I know this because the one everyone is putting about “there couldn’t be anyone else in the room” is already stated at the beginning of the squib. If the fingerprints are Jansen’s, there is no way the conclusion could be the girl being the murderer, since the squib said she left no footprints, and, for her to be the murderer, she had to leave either footprints or fingerprints.

2. Dermatologist- this is the most obviously wrong answer yet. PowerScore even says that this is ALWAYS a trick response. This doesn’t matter to make the argument work. They could have only interviewed 4 dermatologists and the argument still stands. You guys were tricked.

The real response is that “they are assuming that 75% of dermatologists know more than the other 25%”. This was not proven by the squib. This weakens the advertisement because, “who’s to say if it is better and by what standards do we evaluate each dermatologists claim?”

3.  Garden and the sliding glass door- I think the correct answer was that “in winter, the door would have to be arranged in a certain way as not to change the effect”.

4. The walk on the beach question- the real answer is that “walking on the beach is not guaranteed to make a person happy the next time they walk on the beach”. The squib said long-term happiness or something to this extent. Happiness never shifts in meaning, I checked the squib a couple of times to make sure during the test. Also, something shifting in meaning is generally a trick answer on most LSAT’s. Think back and you will agree.

5. I think the “companies hire only when things are static” is also wrong but I will concede I don’t remember what the right answer was.

6. I’m pretty sure the one about people “not using scientific theories until they are long dead” was also a trick response. The real answer was a little more specific. But I am also unsure on this one.

7. The opera singer one- 100% the minority answer is correct. I re-checked this and the only answer that worked was the one where “only experienced singers should attempt blank”
The other responses were either too general or too strong to back up the claim.


Please do not get angry at me for this, for these are JUST my opinions. Thanks, and hopefully this helps.




Dont tell me you are that weird asian guy took Powerscore course in New York...

Re: My thoughts on the post mortem
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 03:12:46 PM »
With regards to being a 150 scorer, I also took Powerscore class and I scored 175, 177 and 175 on the diagnostics.

pierard

Re: My thoughts on the post mortem
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 03:18:33 PM »
Quick question - Does anyone remember the answer choices for the dermatologist question?  I remember my answer is basically what the PM says, but for some reason I don't remember that wording.

Re: My thoughts on the post mortem
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 03:19:04 PM »
With regards to being a 150 scorer, I also took Powerscore class and I scored 175, 177 and 175 on the diagnostics.


Well, I feel bad for you "expert" LSAT takers because you have missed at least 4 on the LR. Sorry. You guys are either of the following:

1. Lying about your previous scores
2. Get 100% right on RC and LG to get those scores
3. Did very bad on LR this time which would be out of the ordinary for your skill level and you should have canceled.


By the way, the hapiness and beach walking one- it did not change meaning, this was the trick answer, stop trying to condone your answer and face the facts.