Law School Discussion

Question for people who have worked with PDF applications

Question for people who have worked with PDF applications
« on: September 02, 2004, 08:32:24 AM »
I have a question that I've been wondering about for a long time.

Law schools want your application typed... it's an unwritten rule that it's a huge no-no to handwrite in the stuff on your application.

But I'm not sure how to type on an application in PDF format.  I don't really want to apply online, I'd rather physically send in paper applications, but I don't know how to type in the information I need. 

Anyone else know anything about this topic?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ZAP

Re: Question for people who have worked with PDF applications
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 08:47:17 AM »
Yeah... that's right.  I'm bumping my own message.  I really need an answer to this question, so I'm going to be a total dork like that.

ZAP

brothernads

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 08:50:15 AM »
There are only two ways I know how to do it:

1) If the user creates the PDF with form fields that can be filled in by another user (similar to LSACD on the Web).

2) If you have the full Adobe Acrobat program (not just the Reader), then you can possibly add text fields and type right on the PDF.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 08:51:59 AM »
Thanks.  I don't think anything but the Reader's equipped on this computer...

Anyone else have any ideas?

ZAP

brothernads

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 08:56:28 AM »
I thought of another way (don't know if this is possible with just Reader):

Open the PDF, save it as a JPG, then use a paint program to add text. This wouldn't be very fun, though.

NYKnicks

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 09:00:31 AM »
Download a program that can open PDF's and convert them to Word, I forgot exactly what it is called, I'll post again when I find out.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 09:09:29 AM »
Awesome!  I'll give that a shot!  Thanks.

Also, with the Microsoft Paint thing, that's a good idea.  Hadn't thought about that either... I think I'll try Reindeer's idea first, and if I get stuck I'll try using Paint.

ZAP

M2

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 09:10:58 AM »
Awesome!  I'll give that a shot!  Thanks.

Also, with the Microsoft Paint thing, that's a good idea.  Hadn't thought about that either... I think I'll try Reindeer's idea first, and if I get stuck I'll try using Paint.

ZAP

the pain idea wont be that elegant...might look like shite

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 01:35:01 PM »
I don't know if you can do what you want with the full Acrobat program or not.  But for what its worth, I would strongly urge you to just spend the $60 and fill them out through LSAC's website.  It will automatically enter most info for you after the first app, and just works great.  I am pretty sure they have the apps for every school in the country.  It makes the whole application process way easier.  (I am not affiliated with LSAC in any way.)

Not to mention electronically filing apps is way faster.