• View Profile
Standard PS screw-up question:
« on: November 21, 2006, 07:29:12 PM »

Re: Standard PS screw-up question:
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 10:10:30 AM »
Got me? ???

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 10:48:39 AM »
i really dont think you need to worry about that. now they just think whatever you were talking about is even better than the mountains. no big.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 12:17:59 PM »
Sorry for making yet another one of these threads (which for some reason I couldn't find when I did a search).

Oh well. Just sent in a few apps two nights ago, and when looking through my personal statement I noticed an error:

"...but it seems as impressive to me now than the picturesque mountains to the north."

The bolded should say "as". Minor, but significant. Since I caught it semi-early, is it worth trying to resend the personal statement for just one flaw such as this? Is it prudent to do so, and if so, how? An email?

It's difficult to assess the significance of the error based on the blurb you've provided.  But if it is minor to the point that they probably won't catch it, then there is no need to do anything.  But if the error changes the meaning or intent of the sentence in a significant manner, then you should contact them and see if you could forward an edited copy.

thestradgirl

• where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 01:08:19 PM »
I don't think it's too noticeable. I don't think it'll kill you, if the rest of the essay is fabulous - which it probably is.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 05:45:04 PM »
From the excerpt you provided, it doesn't seem to particularly fit the flow of the sentence or make a whole lot of sense. I think the fact that the Adcoms are reading thousands of essays works in your favor. Personally, with an error that small, I wouldn't hazard resubmitting your PS. Doing so, at least in my honest opinion, tends to give the impression that you were sloppy in submitting your application the first time around and might actually draw MORE attentiont to the mistake in the initial PS than might have otherwise been warranted. Just my .02.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 05:51:24 PM »
Submitting a new essay will just draw attention to it. It's a minor mistake, and it is fairly clear that it is just an accidental mistake not a result of incompetence. Most of them won't notice / think of it, and those who do won't care.