Law School Discussion

Would you recomend your city? Why or why not?

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Would you recomend your city? Why or why not?
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2006, 01:36:30 PM »
I'm only speaking from experience, really.  The nice part of Edmonton's summers (late May to early August, so about two and a half months) makes the city look absolutely gorgeous.  And, really, these months are very enjoyable -- even the mood of the population seems to change.

The moment fall comes nosing around in late August, though, the complexity of the city starts to shift.  By the time we hit late October, it's miserable, and it's reflected in everything.  If you don't feel like killing yourself by March, you're frustrated to find that it takes another two months for the city to thaw properly.  

I won't even go into all the practical headaches of winter.  Most people who've lived anywhere near snow would be able to fill you in.  There is something to be said for the severe cold, though.  It's hard to describe how aggravating it is to have to wait for a bus when it's -25 outside with the windchill.  This is a common occurrence every winter here.

I don't like the city, but I'm easily willing to admit that if it was summer here all year round, I'd probably be much more taken with it.

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2006, 01:53:07 PM »
NYC--recommend.
Pros--the best city in the world. 'nuff said.
Cons--nonexistent.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2006, 02:00:10 PM »
NYC--recommend.
Cons--nonexistent.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Vick

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2006, 02:01:10 PM »
NYC--recommend.
Cons--nonexistent.

CON - NYC smells like urine

FossilJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2006, 02:04:09 PM »
Really big cities suck.  They're fun for a bit, but it wears out quickly for me.

Cindy

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2006, 02:35:09 PM »
Anyone from (or know anything about) Portland?  My so has decided that he would like to live there and I'm like wtf.   :-\

ask Cindy

I've been in Portland for over 2 years and am still in love with this city. The city itself is small (500,000) but the entire Metro area is about twice that.

Pros:
lots to do. The ocean is an hour & 1/2 drive, Mt Hood is 45 minutes away for skiing & hiking, Mt St Helens is 50 miles away & great to watch puff & steam, public transit is great, it's a very bike friendly and eco-conscious, very liberal & progressive, often referred to as the most european city in america, the weather is great in the summer, you only need air conditioning for about 1 week of the entire year, it rains in the winter but snows on the ski hills, all the rain makes for a lot of green grass & trees, it rains less here than in Seattle, slower & more relaxed vibe than Seattle or San Francisco, many parks, random patches of forest in the city limits, vibrant music & arts scene, bars everywhere, mibro brew beer everywhere (there's a huge micro-brew festival in the park on the water in the summer), cost of living is good (my 2br is $700 a month & I can walk to work downtown), dedication to local business, farmer's markets all year, most affordable large city on the West Coast, access to naturapathic/alternative medicine, best city for vegetarian/vegan lifestyle according to PETA

Cons:
very white, ethnic groups tend to stay in "their" neighborhoods, the police shoot & kill a ridiculous number of people, homeless/mental health problem that the city can't seem to alleviate, traffic, urban sprawl in the suburbs, cost to buy a house in the city is really high, winter can be very grey (there are occasional sun breaks, like today)

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2006, 02:42:06 PM »
NYC--recommend.
Cons--nonexistent.

CON - NYC smells like urine

You must have very odd-smelling urine, I must say :o

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2006, 02:59:38 PM »
I've lived both in Portland and in Seattle for the past 5 years after having grown up in the east coast.  There's constant comparisons between the two areas because they share a lot of similarities, but really the places are pretty different.  Basically, Seattle has a much bigger feel with the surrounding mountains and water and the corporate culture of Microsoft, Boeing, Amazon, Starbucks, etc.  Portland is much more calm and quiet and is more like a big town than a city with a lot more independent stores.  They both are fantastic for their vineyards (oregon pinot noir and washington syrah), coffee, microbrews, music scene, and outdoor adventure. 

I will say that the winters can be a bit much at times with the gray and rain, but the rain is typically light, not downpours, and the summers are without a doubt the best in the country.  I deal with the winters by heading into the mountains for skiing, which are only 30 minutes away from Seattle and about an hour and a half from Portland. 

Cindy

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2006, 04:46:35 PM »

I'm sure you could do a lot worse than Portland, but SF is not the "wrong city". **shakes head disapprovingly**

This just goes to show that I need to broaden my horizons. I didn't even know it was possible for rent to be so cheap! How glorious!

I lived in Spokane before Portland & a 2BR there is easily under $600. I worked in real estate & people were getting mortages on 3BR houses for $750. So if you're willing to go to Gonzaga...

FossilJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2006, 04:52:03 PM »
Good old Spokane.  I get Spokane television in Edmonton.  That's how bad it is up there.  hahahaha