Law School Discussion

Would you recomend your city? Why or why not?

->Soon

• View Profile
Would you recomend your city? Why or why not?
« on: November 17, 2006, 08:24:20 AM »
Tampa bay Area - Not recommended

I used to.  the weather is nice, housing was cheap, and nudie bars galore.  these days, housing has skyrocketed, wages have not.  weather is still ok, but the hurricanes have picked up.  and the biggest negative is the insurance.  it keeps going up, and theres no end in sight.  and you cant budget for it.

so, unless your buying a home flat out for cash, i do NOT recommend the Bay Area..

bubDread

• View Profile
Re: Would you recomend your city? Why or why not?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 08:29:20 AM »
Iowa in general--

Good place to raise a family, low cost of living, pretty good education all around.

But, lots of dumb people and not a lot to do.

Geo_Storm

• I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 08:38:41 AM »
Montreal - Recommended,

Highest student/popoluation ratio in North America, arguably greatest nightlife in North America. Great summer festivals: Jazz Fest, Comedy Fest. Lots of culture, bilingual city. Great places to eat and for cheap. Professional Sports: Hockey, a Busch Race, a F1 Race, Champ Car race.

Bad: cold weather, french is inconvenient if you can't speak it. Awful traffic and terrible roads. NO baseball team.

. . .

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 08:41:58 AM »
Chicago - Recommended

Plenty to do, great music scene, public transportation very easy, not outrageously expensive compared to other cities of similar size, Lake Michigan...

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 08:43:49 AM »
Chicago - Recommended

Plenty to do, great music scene, public transportation very easy, not outrageously expensive compared to other cities of similar size, Lake Michigan...

dont forget the negatives....

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 08:45:00 AM »
Bermuda - highly recommended

Good:
QOL can't be beat.  Beautiful beaches, great weather, nice people.  High COL, but also high wages.  No income or sales tax.  Companies are required to provide health insurance and pension to their employees.  Lots of travel opportunities.  Hardly any hurricanes (last major one was in 94, last before that was decades ago).  Decent education and plenty of opportunities for upward mobility.  Expats usually get housing allowances. Extremely safe (crime is on the rise, but just don't leave your common sense at home and you'll be fine).

Bad:
Expansive and limited sum up the cons. Small, sometimes has a fishbowl effect.  Housing is expensive and limited.  1 car per household (but great public transportation).  Crime is increasing.  Somewhat conservative society.  Surprisingly bad rush hour traffic.

. . .

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 08:46:02 AM »
Chicago - Recommended

OK then:

traffic, the weather, the weather, and oh, the weather.

bubDread

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 08:49:17 AM »
Chicago - Recommended

OK then:

traffic, the weather, the weather, and oh, the weather.

I learned about that last spring when I took my girlfriend to the flower show at Navy Pier.  It was in the middle of march, and I thought a spring jacket would suffice.  It was like 35 degress and raining and windy and I wanted to die.  We were walking around michigan avenue and stuff.

. . .

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 09:03:30 AM »
Austin- recommended

Negative: it's in texas.

TITCR  ;)

cheesesteak

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 09:20:06 AM »
New Orleans, LA

Pro:  It's still one of America's most distinctive cities.  There is plenty of fun to be had here.  The jazz is still sublime.  Its warm here for most of the year.  The nation has not seen a rebuilding effort like this since SanFran.  The city is a huge sociological labratory.  There will be billions of dollars pouring into the city for the next who knows years.  If one wants to "make a difference" in the legal field or otherwise, this is the place to be.

Cons:  That destruction caused by a lil' hurricane called Katrina.  Crime. Very limited public transportation, uncertainty about the future...