Law School Discussion

women who marry less intelligent men

annab

• I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
Re: women who marry less intelligent men
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 07:48:34 PM »
I'm simply not interesting in why men do it. Probably because I assume the reason is usually sinister (sex, control issues, money). Before I make similar assumptions about women I'd like a little LSD feedback. Oh, and one of my female friends just married a much less intelligent guy; here's an actually conversation we had a few days back:

Him: Hey, guess where fireworks were invented
Me: Asia
Him: No, China.
His wife: Honey, China is in Asia.
Him: Nuh uh.
She then proceeds to explain what a continent is. He's almost 30.

Maybe the sex is great. Maybe he has a nice, juicy trust fund. Maybe he lets her walk him around on a leash and whip him.

:D

Srsly though, I think a lot of women are forced to "settle" for the next best thing. As annab alluded to, its really hard to find a guy who really doesn't mind being with an intelligent, ambitious women. The fact that you're going to be working 80 hours a week and not have time to cook, clean, wash, iron and ego stroke doesn't sit well with a lot of men.

Not to mention if you end up making more money than he does.  ;)

Mr. Pink

• @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 08:02:10 PM »
The real question is, do you know any men who could marry a significantly more intelligent woman without feeling hopelessly insecure?  ;)

I would and could do it.  If she was really hawt.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 09:30:20 PM »
Do you know any women who have done this? Why did they do it, and do you see it as a mistake on their part?

I don't intend to get married (indeed, I don't really support marriage these days), but I count myself lucky to always get involved with people far more intelligent than I am.  I suppose, however, that this means there are women out there who have seriously dated down on my behalf.

thestradgirl

• where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 09:37:20 PM »
INTERESTING topic.

I know a prime example: My Mom.

Do we think it was a mistake? In part. She could be richer today. Well, in fact all our family. And she would have yelled much less througout the last 20 years. That probably means she could be healthier today.

Apart from that...
kids often take after their mother when it comes to brains... this is an unresearached, unbased claim based on personal observations so don't take it seriously. But I've noticed this as a general pattern among people I have met throughout my life. So in terms of the offspring's intellect.. it seems okay if you marry a guy dumber than you are..

Geo_Storm

• I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 11:01:00 PM »
I'm a team player. I guess I could put up with a woman who was noticeably brighter than me or made more than me (errr not sure about that one). I know there are plenty of them out there. But teamwork goes way. She better be ready to bear our child when it comes to it. I'd do my share of baby work but there's nothing I can do about childbearing or birthgiving. That's her responsibility and we better be on the same page on that one.
If the woman is too career centric and not family centric then forget it.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 11:34:02 PM »
Inetellectuality, or intellectual inclinations, != IQ.  You can be off the charts in intelligence and not remotely resemble an intellectual.  HTH.

...with a pocket full of shells.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 11:37:43 PM »
Inetellectuality, or intellectual inclinations, != IQ.  You can be off the charts in intelligence and not remotely resemble an intellectual.  HTH.

...with a pocket full of shells.

I really ought to download that song and listen to it.

It's really hard for me to imagine Bb. listening to RATM.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 11:48:28 PM »

Rock/metal was my thing before I found classical. RATM is interesting mainly for Tom Morello's guitar work. He popularized a number of effects, foremost among them the Digitech Whammy pedal, and  was pretty much the first guitarist since Hendrix to bring out sounds you'd never expect from a guitar. They were one of the first bands to mix rap and rock, but Morello's work was RATM, period.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 11:54:11 PM »

Rock/metal was my thing before I found classical. RATM is interesting mainly for Tom Morello's guitar work. He popularized a number of effects, foremost among them the Digitech Whammy pedal, and  was pretty much the first guitarist since Hendrix to bring out sounds you'd never expect from a guitar. They were one of the first bands to mix rap and rock, but Morello's work was RATM, period.

I forgot about your metal thread.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 11:54:38 PM »