Law School Discussion

women who marry less intelligent men

obamacon

• View Profile
women who marry less intelligent men
« on: October 28, 2006, 06:52:14 PM »
Do you know any women who have done this? Why did they do it, and do you see it as a mistake on their part?

obamacon

• View Profile
Re: women who marry less intelligent men
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 07:03:06 PM »
Careful, you might come off as sexist.

Why is that?

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 07:09:11 PM »
To be clear, I'm less interested in those who wed slightly less intelligent guys. I'm referring to those women who marry guys who are much less intellectually inclined (say 130-90IQ) than they are.

Jinx

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 07:13:15 PM »
Do you know any women who have done this? Why did they do it, and do you see it as a mistake on their part?

Who are we to judge?

Opposits attract (and sometimes with good reason).

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 07:14:02 PM »
Who are we to judge?

I see you're new here.

annab

• I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 07:21:17 PM »
The real question is, do you know any men who could marry a significantly more intelligent woman without feeling hopelessly insecure?  ;)

John Galt

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 07:23:55 PM »
The real question is, do you know any men who could marry a significantly more intelligent woman without feeling hopelessly insecure?  ;)

Yes. The key is to be oblivious to your intellectual limitations.

annab

• I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 07:30:43 PM »

Yes. The key is to be oblivious to your intellectual limitations.

Now if only we could figure out a way for women to be oblivious of mens' intellectual limitations, everyone would be happy.  :D

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 07:35:40 PM »
Careful, you might come off as sexist.

Why is that?

What about men who do it?  Why are women special?  You could have just asked about people who marry significantly less intelligent spouses.

One might think you are implying that it’s understandable when a man does it but it’s a mistake for a woman to do it.  As if a woman needs a man that is equal to or greater than her intelligence. 

This is what some might construe anyways.

I'm simply not interesting in why men do it. Probably because I assume the reason is usually sinister (sex, control issues, money). Before I make similar assumptions about women I'd like a little LSD feedback. Oh, and one of my female friends just married a much less intelligent guy; here's an actually conversation we had a few days back:

Him: Hey, guess where fireworks were invented
Me: Asia
Him: No, China.
His wife: Honey, China is in Asia.
Him: Nuh uh.
She then proceeds to explain what a continent is. He's almost 30.

Jinx

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 07:46:16 PM »
I'm simply not interesting in why men do it. Probably because I assume the reason is usually sinister (sex, control issues, money). Before I make similar assumptions about women I'd like a little LSD feedback. Oh, and one of my female friends just married a much less intelligent guy; here's an actually conversation we had a few days back:

Him: Hey, guess where fireworks were invented
Me: Asia
Him: No, China.
His wife: Honey, China is in Asia.
Him: Nuh uh.
She then proceeds to explain what a continent is. He's almost 30.

Maybe the sex is great. Maybe he has a nice, juicy trust fund. Maybe he lets her walk him around on a leash and whip him.

:D

Srsly though, I think a lot of women are forced to "settle" for the next best thing. As annab alluded to, its really hard to find a guy who really doesn't mind being with an intelligent, ambitious women. The fact that you're going to be working 80 hours a week and not have time to cook, clean, wash, iron and ego stroke doesn't sit well with a lot of men.