Law School Discussion

Poll

Should race be a factor in Admissions?

Yes! One of my relatives in the last 150 years was descriminated against racially! Gimme gimme gimme!
11 (11.3%)
No, eveyone should be judged by merits and not race.
58 (59.8%)
Wtf, this poll is racist. If you're against URM that means you are a racist pig. Grow up child. 163 3.3 admit into Yale was well deserved...
28 (28.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Jesus Christ, why didn't you make me a black man?

Law Is 4 Me

Re: Jesus Christ, why didn't you make me a black man?
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2006, 05:24:43 PM »
How about Asians?  Should Asians be eligible AA treatment??

President_Baccaga

« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2006, 05:28:28 PM »
How about Asians?  Should Asians be eligible AA treatment??

They don't need it... :)

redemption

« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2006, 05:28:20 AM »
This thread feels remedial.

« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2006, 01:04:22 PM »
It's been entertaining skimming through your arguments on what we all know can become a heated argument on both sides.  Iím Hispanic and after having served in the military and finished my undergrad studies Iím seriously considering going to law school after some much needed time off  :)  With that said, I believe that we should all start on the same playing field when applying to law school.  If I score well on my LSAT and deservedly get into a Law School of my choice, I will probably be seen as inferior by perhaps white and Asian students b/c AA creates an environment where Hispanics and African Americans seem inferior.  I believe that with a changing world and free trade (China anyone?), we live in one of the most capitalistic societies where at the end of the day all that matters is your ability to make money and make whatever company you are working for more successful (unless you work for the government ;D ).  Many Africans I know come to the U.S., work hard, educate themselves, and prosper, yet we do whatever we can to reward mediocre results from African Americans.  Cubans in southern Florida are living proof that despite race, if you are educated and have a strong work ethic you WILL SUCCEED in America.  I believe that President Baccaga is spot on in trying to find an alternative solution to avoid all the negative effects AA has seeing that it creates further racial tension among applicants and I'm sure among students.  The obvious correlation with lower class and minorities is not one to be ignored.  With that said...a girl from Venezuela once told me during my undergrad years that she was amazed how many times she's had to state on a survey what race she was.  In Venezuela you were simply Venezuelan yet here from early childhood you are constantly seperated from others due to your race.  This isnít the 1960ís, itís the 21st century.  With open trade and very open borders we live in a cutthroat world and I donít believe in rewarding mediocrity for any reason.  Sorry for writing so long ;D and seeing there's 9 pages I hope I'm not beating a dead horse but I really would love to hear arguments either way. 

redemption

« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2006, 01:25:32 PM »
It's been entertaining skimming through your arguments on what we all know can become a heated argument on both sides.  Iím Hispanic and after having served in the military and finished my undergrad studies Iím seriously considering going to law school after some much needed time off  :)  With that said, I believe that we should all start on the same playing field when applying to law school.  If I score well on my LSAT and deservedly get into a Law School of my choice, I will probably be seen as inferior by perhaps white and Asian students b/c AA creates creates an environment where Hispanics and African Americans seem inferior.  I believe that with a changing world and free trade (China anyone?), we live in one of the most capitalistic societies where at the end of the day all that matters is your ability to make money and make whatever company you are working for more successful (unless you work for the government ;D ).  Many Africans I know come to the U.S., work hard, educate themselves, and prosper, yet we do whatever we can to reward mediocre results from African Americans.  Cubans in southern Florida are living proof that despite race, if you are educated and have a strong work ethic you WILL SUCCEED in America.  I believe that President Baccaga is spot on in trying to find an alternative solution to avoid all the negative effects AA has seeing that it creates further racial tension among applicants and I'm sure among students.  The obvious correlation with lower class and minorities is not one to be ignored.  With that said...a girl from Venezuela once told me during my undergrad years that she was amazed how many times she's had to state on a survey what race she was.  In Venezuela you were simply Venezuelan yet here from early childhood you are constantly seperated from others due to your race.  This isnít the 1960ís, itís the 21st century.  With open trade and very open borders we live in a cutthroat world and I donít believe rewarding mediocrity for any reason.  Sorry for writing so long ;D and seeing there's 9 pages I hope I'm not beating a dead horse but I really would love to hear arguments either way. 

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,64541.msg1426432.html#msg1426432

THINK, and READ EVERYTHING before posting, though. I don't want that thread to become quite as special ed. as this one is.

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2006, 04:25:02 PM »
The first 10 pages, starting with the "Stereotype Threat" concept on page 1, are interesting...  After that, the thread becomes just as "special ed. as this one is."

redemption

« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2006, 04:29:20 PM »
It gets better again after a slump in the middle.

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2006, 06:50:49 PM »
It gets better again after a slump in the middle.

Yeah...had a chance to finish it...interesting!  Although I would've like to see someone mention something more about blacks using prep assistance to improve their LSAT scores.... This could help minimize the need for AA!

« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2006, 08:59:12 PM »
Ladies and gents, as a 1L at NYU I can speak to this topic with experience, albeit limited.  In law classes you study cases, which are in casebooks that can be purchased online or at your local professional book store.  There is little utility in reading cases and simply deciphering the facts, issue and holding. In fact, seasoned professors rarely spend much time on these facets of the study of law.  The crux of legal education is looking at the various statutes and decisions through various racial, socio-economic and theoretical lenses.  There is little use discussing cases with only males, or only whites or only heterosexual democrats or republicans.  Creating a diverse environment benenfits everyone in the classroom, as law is not absolute but rather contextual.  When you all arrive at your respective schools all of you who adamantly speak against AA will not change your minds, but I assure you that many of you will.  Simply put, there are things that you just don't consider due to your background and experiences.  The level of thought put into admitting students is significant and strategic- trust in the process.

John Galt

« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2006, 09:13:32 PM »
the best thing about this thread is that Red is in mid season form and that's really the only good thing about it.