Law School Discussion

Harvard 1Ls Taking Questions

Re: Harvard 1Ls Taking Questions
« Reply #230 on: May 10, 2007, 05:40:53 PM »
good idea- I'll have to look into the portable ACs. My room is small, so all I really need is something powerful enough to keep me comfortable when its hot outside. Thanks for the advice!

Sorry to hijack-but where in the Valley are you from? I hail from Fresno.

« Reply #231 on: May 10, 2007, 08:43:06 PM »
Bakersfield :-[ Needless to say, I'm excited to be moving to Boston!

« Reply #232 on: May 10, 2007, 09:29:54 PM »
Do any of you 1L's out there have a dog? If so, where did you live? And do you have any recommendations? Thanks in advance for any help...

« Reply #233 on: May 11, 2007, 07:37:51 AM »
I can't speak for the weather, but you could get a portable A/C.  We aren't allowed window units at my UG, so I've been using a portable for 4 years.  If I don't tape the window up, I can open it any time of year.  It does take up some floor space, but I've usually put my bed on risers and put the A/C under my bed.  They're more expensive than window units, but you can usually catch them on sale, especially if you wait until the beginning of the school year when the summer sales have slowed.
It doesn't usually get that hot...maybe freak heat wave would mean it was in the high 90s, I don't remember it ever being past 100 but I could be wrong. Even 90 degree weather is HIGHLY unlikely past August...after labor day weekend it usually cools down and on random days may hit 80 again.

I think you may even be ok with a fan.

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2007, 03:29:23 PM »
Can someone tell me if Gropius has air conditioning at all? I don't care if I can control it myself of anything, but will  I basically have to drink ice water and buy multiple fans to survive the couple weeks of summer in Boston if I live there? Thanks!

No AC in Gropius.

I lived in North this year, which has central AC and heating, but I only used the AC function for maybe 3-4 weeks in the whole year. Boston gets really cold really fast and doesn't warm up until around the beginning of summer vacation.

Someone asked about heating--Gropius does have excellent heating. You will want to open the windows to let the heat out because it's so hot inside.