Law School Discussion

Harvard 1Ls Taking Questions

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Harvard 1Ls Taking Questions
« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2007, 09:34:39 AM »
What do you know about the Harvard/Berkeley exchange program? I'm interested in IP and would love to spend a year at Berkeley. How competitive is it? Do people that do it seem to like it?

I don't think it's too popular...I haven't heard it discussed by my classmates at all. So that probably means it's not too hard to get either.

« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2007, 09:16:26 AM »
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone lived in North Hall this year, and do you think its worth the money? The website says its two blocks from the law school, but in really bad weather do people feel like its too far? How about Gropius? I'd really like opinions from people who have lived in these places. Thanks!

« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2007, 10:19:30 AM »
I only chime in on this board every once in a while, but I have to comment on North.  I live here now, and I do not regret my decision.  It is two blocks, and it feels like two blocks all semester long (no more, no less).  I'm from Texas, so it was rather hard for me to adjust to the winter........but I still do not regret my decision!!!!

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 10, 2007, 07:38:18 AM »
I live in North and love it.

The rooms are big, the private bathrooms are great, and central air conditioning in the (extremely short) summer is awesome. Definitely worth the money, I think.

That said, at 8:30am on Monday morning two blocks does feel like a long way to walk to class through the snow. If you have class in Austin, that's more like 3-4 blocks.

The walk is about 6 minutes long to Pound, or 10 to Austin. So not too bad. But I want to move off-campus next semester because if I'm living 10 minutes from class I feel like I may as well get an apartment with my own, non-communal kitchen.

« Reply #224 on: May 10, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
Can someone tell me if Gropius has air conditioning at all? I don't care if I can control it myself of anything, but will  I basically have to drink ice water and buy multiple fans to survive the couple weeks of summer in Boston if I live there? Thanks!

« Reply #225 on: May 10, 2007, 12:21:44 PM »
you can always get a window air conditioner...they only cost about $100-200 and are plenty for keeping a dorm room cool

« Reply #226 on: May 10, 2007, 01:31:15 PM »
So I take it that means no air conditioning in Gropius? I've had a window air conditioner before, and its fine if you have multiple windows, but it sort of sucks not to be able to open your window as long as you have an air conditioner. How hot does it get in Boston? I'm from the Valley in California, and its in the 100s in the summer. It doesn't get that hot, does it?

« Reply #227 on: May 10, 2007, 01:50:53 PM »
I can't speak for the weather, but you could get a portable A/C.  We aren't allowed window units at my UG, so I've been using a portable for 4 years.  If I don't tape the window up, I can open it any time of year.  It does take up some floor space, but I've usually put my bed on risers and put the A/C under my bed.  They're more expensive than window units, but you can usually catch them on sale, especially if you wait until the beginning of the school year when the summer sales have slowed.

« Reply #228 on: May 10, 2007, 03:59:37 PM »
good idea- I'll have to look into the portable ACs. My room is small, so all I really need is something powerful enough to keep me comfortable when its hot outside. Thanks for the advice!

« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2007, 05:32:03 PM »
Oh, I should also add that I don't know how cold the rooms in Gropius get in the winter, but some portable A/C models also come with a built in heater so that you can use it in the winter, too.  Good likc!