Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

Alamo

• View Profile
Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #490 on: June 07, 2007, 09:27:33 AM »
I just realized that I should clarify - I hated this prof all semester, openly and vigorously.  A lousy grade was just the appropriate coda to a terrible course. 

I knew we weren't going to hit if off when we had the following exchange as our first ever conversation:

Amy: Hi Prof. so-and-so.  I wanted to make sure that you got my email about missing classes this week (because I'm taking my exams from first semester)(you're the only prof. who ignored my email so I have to ask.)

Prof: Oh yeah, I think so.  You the one whose dad died?

I *&^% you not.

:o :o :o

Wow.  I know that tact levels don't run particularly high in the legal profession, but that's just disgusting.  At least you know one professor NOT to take in the future.

« Reply #491 on: June 07, 2007, 09:35:17 AM »
I don't like Property jokes *at all*.  But that's probably because I hated my Property prof with a purple passion.  It's also the only class where I could dream of blaming my sub-par grade on her shortcomings rather than my own. :D

We should start a club. Not like my grades aren't generally sub-par but my final had absolutely nothing to do with the class. There was no way we could have even have studied.

huh?

how is that possible?   :(

The prof told us for around 80-90% of the class that we would be getting multi-state style questions. Then with a few weeks before exams, he told us it would be on vignettes he brought up in class and people gave their opinions on. None of us had written that stuff down because we didn't think it would be on the exam. Even if we had written something down, it was a lot more general than was needed to do well.

One you're a 2L, you'll see this is a frequent professor trick.

I've been fine with the trick before, but when people are pretty much arguing with each other in the class and no one has any idea what is happening, it's very frustrating.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 07, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
Wow.  I know that tact levels don't run particularly high in the legal profession, but that's just disgusting.  At least you know one professor NOT to take in the future.

I too am horrified, Jolie.  People like that have no business interacting with students other people. 

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 07, 2007, 10:31:26 AM »
Thanks, guys.  Always nice to hear votes of sympathy. 

Yeah, this prof was pretty wretched - and it wasn't just me with my personal beef.  2Ls warned us in August: "Oh, you have _____?  Worst. Prof. Ever."  This individual can't lecture, can't respond to questions, changes assignments constantly (like, at 9 pm), insists on holding class at a nomansland time that interferes with all electives because it's convenient for said prof, is rude and belittling when students don't understand something...our class was pretty much in open revolt.  We all just refused to engage or participate. 

It's always shocking to me when someone who's that bad in the classroom lands a job at such a good school.  This one has done some pretty significant big-deal litigation (really amazing women's rights stuff, too) but has No Business in academia.  I guess we'll see what happens at tenure time. 

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 07, 2007, 10:35:24 AM »
I just realized that I should clarify - I hated this prof all semester, openly and vigorously.  A lousy grade was just the appropriate coda to a terrible course. 

I knew we weren't going to hit if off when we had the following exchange as our first ever conversation:

Amy: Hi Prof. so-and-so.  I wanted to make sure that you got my email about missing classes this week (because I'm taking my exams from first semester)(you're the only prof. who ignored my email so I have to ask.)

Prof: Oh yeah, I think so.  You the one whose dad died?

I sh*t you not.

Obviously law profs aren't hired for personality or compassion.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: June 07, 2007, 10:40:08 AM »
is there a ratemylawprofessor website?

be helpful...

« Reply #496 on: June 07, 2007, 11:24:53 AM »
Thanks, guys. Always nice to hear votes of sympathy.

Yeah, this prof was pretty wretched - and it wasn't just me with my personal beef. 2Ls warned us in August: "Oh, you have _____? Worst. Prof. Ever." This individual can't lecture, can't respond to questions, changes assignments constantly (like, at 9 pm), insists on holding class at a nomansland time that interferes with all electives because it's convenient for said prof, is rude and belittling when students don't understand something...our class was pretty much in open revolt. We all just refused to engage or participate.

It's always shocking to me when someone who's that bad in the classroom lands a job at such a good school. This one has done some pretty significant big-deal litigation (really amazing women's rights stuff, too) but has No Business in academia. I guess we'll see what happens at tenure time.

Jolie, yikes that prof sounds horrible! Who is it so I can make sure I avoid them if at all possible?

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 07, 2007, 11:34:14 AM »
PM coming.

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 07, 2007, 06:12:14 PM »
I don't like Property jokes *at all*.  But that's probably because I hated my Property prof with a purple passion.  It's also the only class where I could dream of blaming my sub-par grade on her shortcomings rather than my own. :D

I hated my Property prof too, and I totally blame my grade on his bad teaching and mind-raping-impossible tests (7 of them).  He sucks at life and I have christened him "Professor Poohead" for the rest of time. 

But I still like Property jokes.  :D

Ok, and now that I read the end of the thread I will say that my Property professor wasn't as bad as Jolie's.  But I'll share my woes anyway.  We had 7 tests throughout the semester (WORST f-ing IDEA EVER) and he always canceled class for one reason or another, so we had about half the actual "teaching" time as other Property classes.  Yet we were constantly tested.  And he didn't actually teach, he just put up poorly written, vague, misspelled slides, told us "Oh they'll be on the website" so no one took notes, and then he usually rambled for a bit and tried to have some class discussion on a completely random topic.  Or he blazed through 2 or 3 classes of material in 20 minutes.    Oh, and he always reeked of alcohol.  I think he's going to get tenure, which is sad, because he is the worst teacher... he actually makes me want to teach Property just so I can explain things better and not make students feel like they're living in Property [email protected]#!* land. 

I won't even get into the tests, they were awful-- multiple choice questions worth 10-20 points each where there was never an actual clear answer, so missing one just destroyed your score (we had one test with 7 multiple choice questions worth 14 points each and people got 14s and 28s on the test).  On our last exam, which was all essays, the average was a 50.  My personal theory is that he thought he told us something really really important in an alcohol-induced stupor... and he didn't.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 07, 2007, 06:32:17 PM »
hmmm, law school is not seeming like the intellectually stimulating experience i was hoping for...