Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

obamacon

• View Profile
Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2006, 04:17:07 PM »
Why, then, does redneck culture (i.e. class) irritate you?

You'll have to be more specific as to what you're fishing for.

Yeah, me.

« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2006, 04:17:56 PM »

actually, i meant that i was disgusted by the trump thing, then went on to ask about the nice guy act.  i have a political stance now?

See? that's extreme.

which part?

redemption

« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2006, 04:22:33 PM »

What the Europeans call class, we call culture. The redneck culture is a class thing; so's the Queens-italian-with-the-bling, the people who go to Atlantic City on a Saturday night, the ones who go to Panama City for spring break, etc.

You going to make me do a search for your anti-redneck rant?

Yeah, me.

« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2006, 04:23:09 PM »

What the Europeans call class, we call culture. The redneck culture is a class thing; so's the Queens-italian-with-the-bling, the people who go to Atlantic City on a Saturday night, the ones who go to Panama City for spring break, etc.

You going to make me do a search for your anti-redneck rant?

oh oh, what class am i?

« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2006, 04:24:21 PM »
No, it's really not. Maybe I'm too "British", but class and economic stratum rarely intersect. Is Donald Trump upper class, for example? I don't think so.

Oh I agree with you completely as far as Britain in concerned. Class means everything there, whereas in the U.S. "class" doesn't really exist outside of the economic sense. We're pretty much classless compared to Western Europe.

Not at all true. That's a myth, and I'm not sure why people continue to believe it despite what they know from their own common sense and common knowledge. Upper West side is not Upper East Side; Mainline outside Philly is not Pittsburgh; Ole Miss isn't Mississippi State; Jack and Jill isn't inner Detroit. People don't move up or down the class system here any faster than they do in Europe.

I agree with this, especially considering the US is much more stratified than European countries. There are plenty of people who have a limited chance of doing well in college because the public education they get in their small town or inner city school isn't up to snuff with the education that kids in private school get. Plus, American universities are so expensive that even if people do have the proper preparation and could excel, many of them cannot afford an exclusive private school education.

redemption

« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2006, 04:24:42 PM »

oh oh, what class am i?

Hell, you don't need me to tell you again, do you? UES, remember? That's when you decided to like me. Very self-serving.

redemption

« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2006, 04:26:01 PM »
In the spirit of actually contributing something useful for the lurkers and whatnot, here's a link to something introductory:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4662456

Yeah, me.

« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2006, 04:27:44 PM »

oh oh, what class am i?

Hell, you don't need me to tell you again, do you? UES, remember? That's when you decided to like me. Very self-serving.

actually i really started warming up to you after the harvard ding.  very self-serving.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2006, 04:29:32 PM »

Yes, I dislike the redneck culture immensely, but I wasn’t really referring to culture, only class in an economic sense. Culture is much more stagnant than class and often stays ingrained in people hundreds if not thousands of years.

What exactly are you looking for? Do you want to have a class/culture discussion?

redemption

« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2006, 04:29:34 PM »

oh oh, what class am i?

actually i really started warming up to you after the harvard ding.  very self-serving.

What a cheap hooker you are