Law School Discussion

New/Updated Sept 06 Master LR List (45/50 questions)

Re: New/Updated Sept 06 Master LR List (43/50 questions)
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2006, 08:15:42 AM »
21. Psychotherapy depends on common aspects of all psychotherapy. *Flaw*
It fails to consider the long-term effects of psychotherapy and only considers the short-term effects

I'm pretty sure that answer is wrong... the conclusion was drawn in the specific context of short-term improvements, and it said that these improvements must be due to something common to all techniques.  I also thought this question was weaken, and not flaw, and that (if true) the psychotherapies use extremely diverse techniques, then the argument would be weakened.  I'm pretty sure that is TCR.

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2006, 08:22:36 AM »
10. Smokers, higher heart disease, higher caffeine use, caffeine positively correlated with heart disease *FLAW*
Answer: Fails to consider that caffeine might decrease risk of heart disease
(open to debate)

22. Mediation only for those who can compromise, judicial for all else
Answer: Only those willing to compromise should do mediation

28. People not skeptical have clouded version of reality, people skeptical are overcritical of reality *MUST BE TRUE*
Answer: People not overcritical of reality has clouded version of reality

10.  I still think this one is "fails to consider that those smokers with higher caffeine use are not the same as those smokers with higher heart disease."  This would clearly deny a positive correlation.  And I know we're not supposed to take in outside information in answeirng LSAT choices, but caffeine decrease risk of heart disease?  Come oooon.

22.  TCR said something like... "if a person is motivated by ideology, he shouldn't attempt mediation."  Because the neccessary conditions for both conflicted with each other -- willing to compromise, unwilling to compromise.

28.  I'm pretty sure TCR for this one was an either/or... because the prompt gave you only two possibilities, either you have one perspective, or you have the other, and with one you have emotional responses to stuff and the other you have a cloudy mind.  So the answer was like... "if you don't have emotional responses to the world, then you have a cloudy mind."  That's muddled but I think the answer resembled that.

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2006, 08:34:51 AM »
10. Smokers, higher heart disease, higher caffeine use, caffeine positively correlated with heart disease *FLAW*
(open to debate)

28. People not skeptical have clouded version of reality, people skeptical are overcritical of reality *MUST BE TRUE*

10.  I still think this one is "fails to consider that those smokers with higher caffeine use are not the same as those smokers with higher heart disease."  This would clearly deny a positive correlation.  And I know we're not supposed to take in outside information in answeirng LSAT choices, but caffeine decrease risk of heart disease?  Come oooon.

22.  TCR said something like... "if a person is motivated by ideology, he shouldn't attempt mediation."  Because the neccessary conditions for both conflicted with each other -- willing to compromise, unwilling to compromise.

28.  I'm pretty sure TCR for this one was an either/or... because the prompt gave you only two possibilities, either you have one perspective, or you have the other, and with one you have emotional responses to stuff and the other you have a cloudy mind.  So the answer was like... "if you don't have emotional responses to the world, then you have a cloudy mind."  That's muddled but I think the answer resembled that.

I agree with your 22 and 28 answers but I have a different answer for 10.  I said, "both higher caffeine use and higher heart disease are a result of another factor" or something along that line.  Am i totally off?

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2006, 08:37:08 AM »
(open to debate)

I agree with your 22 and 28 answers but I have a different answer for 10.  I said, "both higher caffeine use and higher heart disease are a result of another factor" or something along that line.  Am i totally off?

Hmm... I think that answer for a third factor wouldn't preclude a correlation between caffeine and heart disease... correlation doesn't mean causality, so if both were increased by a third factor and the third factor were present, there'd still be a correlation... I think?

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2006, 08:39:01 AM »
(open to debate)

i thought there was an answer choice that said "there was a lower incidence of heart disease among those who both smoked and drank caffiene than among those who only smoked."  that seemed pretty obvious to me.

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2006, 08:40:04 AM »
i don't remember that being an answer choice, i agree with ciao a bunga if it wasn't

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2006, 08:41:48 AM »
geez yeah I don't remember that answer choice either... does anyone else remember it?

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2006, 08:45:59 AM »
can we nail down the stem for the psychotherapy question a little more?
i remember the question as:

A study shows that all patients who undergo pychotheray show a similar amount of improvement in the short term.  This shows that the improvement patients experience is most likely due to having someone listen to their problems.

WEAKEN:

the only answer choices i remember are:

the study only measured the relief of symptoms and not all types of improvement

experienced psychotherapists use different techniques than inexperienced psychotherapists.

can anyone expand on this?

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2006, 08:48:22 AM »
can we nail down the stem for the psychotherapy question a little more?
i remember the question as:

A study shows that all patients who undergo pychotheray show a similar amount of improvement in the short term.  This shows that the improvement patients experience is most likely due to having someone listen to their problems.

WEAKEN:

the only answer choices i remember are:

the study only measured the relief of symptoms and not all types of improvement

experienced psychotherapists use different techniques than inexperienced psychotherapists.

can anyone expand on this?

revised stimulus: this showed that improvements were due to something common in all the approaches, e.g. the presence of someone listening to their problems.

another answer choice:
the different types of psychotherapy used had very diverse techniques and aspects (or something like that)

edit: another answer choice someone else mentioned in another post had something about long term versus short term

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2006, 08:48:50 AM »
it did not say "most likely due to having someone listen to their problems" it said "most likely due to a common factor between all forms of psychotherapy such as having someone listen to their problems" or something like that.