Law School Discussion

LSAT Test Day and Anxiety Medication

Re: LSAT Test Day and Anxiety Medication
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 10:55:53 AM »

My holistic magical mumbo jumbo approach:

1.  Learn to breathe.

2.  Anxiety and Determination are flipsides of the same feeling; channel anxiety into determination.  Power of positive thinking etc.

3.  If you're planning to take drugs for anxiety (nothing WRONG with that; but PLEASE see a doctor mmmkay?), start now.  Don't delude yourself by thinking you'll be able to handle the drug on test day.  Same thing goes for any drug; don't start drinking coffee on test day, for example.

4.  Try a practice test once under overrealistic conditions.  That INCLUDES waking up at the appropriate time, doing whatever you plan to do before the test, TRAVELING to the test site, and taking a test IN THE ROOM if possible (you may have to use a nearby library or bookstore instead).

I agree with most of this.  On the issue of drugs, if a standardized test freaks someone out to the point of taking mind-altering drugs, will that person be able to function as a law student and later a lawyer without said "mind-altering drugs"?

If I were a defendant, I know I wouldn't want my lawyer flying high into the courtroom.

Booyakasha2

• Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 11:04:24 AM »
I dont knwo about you, but i cant imagine that representing a client can be that much more than taking the lsats.  Think about it, lsats determine (to a degree, some more than others):
1. Where you spend the next 3 yrs of your life.
2. What kind of job you will start off with.
3. How much you may be making.
4. How much debt you may have!
5. What area you'd be most likely to work.
6. And for those over-achievers, perhaps those who have political ambitions, biglaw lovers, etc....lsat is huge for determining if you get into the top schools that are most condusive to those goals.
....and the list goes on.....

I dunno aboout everyone else, but theres a lot riding on one exam.  It sucks.  Now that i think of it......thinking like this ^^^ is prolly why i get such anxiety.  ;D

PS.  The results of the lsat listed above isnt ment to be taken as gospel.  Thats why words such as "may" and "most likely" are used.  So chill...

survivor07

• Phoenix is Freelancer is Syd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 04:14:06 PM »
Maybe I should read the entire OP before responding,but I saw anti-anxiety MEDICATION and freaked out, so I haven't read the entire OP.  However, I don't think taking any medication (besides Doctor prescribed medication for those with illnesses) is in anyone's best interest.  My mother always says, "What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander!"  Not because your friend took the meds means that you should take it too.  While I'm sure it will calm you down, what if it calms you down to the point where you cannot read and comprehend?  It could ultimately have a negative affect on your test performance.  I say the best medicine is to get a good night's sleep the night before (if you can sleep), eat a good breakfast, go over one of your practice test that morning, say a prayer (if you are on the spiritual side), AND GET HER DONE!!!

Now that I got that off my chest, I'll go read the entire OP.   :P

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 05:56:45 PM »
I'm definitely on board with survivor07.

If you're taking the meds because you have some sort of anxiety disorder, that's one thing.

But normally feeling nervous is a natural thing... and it's something that a person will have to experience throughout his or her life, most likely without the help of medication.  I understand and accept that the LSAT is a very important event, and I definitely will be nervous on test day. 

No academic test will, however, be the most terrifying event of my life, because it's inherently able to be controlled.  I've been in riots, I've been shot at, and honestly, after that, academic tests seem trivial.  Facing things that make a person nervous enables him or her to eventually overcome it through personal(natural), rather than medical(artificial) means.

Basically, LSAT test day probably won't be the most nervous day of your life.  If it is, you've probably lived a privileged life.  :)

That's just my take on things.  Whatever floats your boat though.

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 07:03:33 PM »
Um, I was going to say something reasonably intelligent here, but I completely forgot what it was after clicking "reply", so gimme a minute and let me try again.  ;D

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 07:09:56 PM »
Oh, now I remember. Wasn't that intelligent after all but kinda funny.

When I had knee surgery a few months ago and was on vicodin during my recovery, I sat around a lot and read. I read a book on French culture, specifically history, economics and politics. It was pretty detailed, but I totally absorbed it, and right after I finished it, the 20-somethings in Paris started rioting about the new youth job laws. I was able to intelligently tell people who commented about "those @%W& French" why they were doing so, and was quite impressed with myself. I don't take vicodin anymore, and I swear I don't absorb details as well. Odd, eh?

Anyway, forgot to mention...I take valerian to help me sleep at night, and the bottle says it's good for daytime anxiety too. I tried that, no drowsiness. So give that a shot. Mellowed me out without the "duh" factor. Don't go high dose, though. Mine's 160 mg and that's good enough for me. Start low.

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 07:15:56 PM »
Valerian is actually pretty innocuous. It's a lot milder than melatonin for sleep, and milder than 5-HTP for anxiety (I've taken all of them at one point or another). I read about it years ago in a Men's Health article on what doctors do themselves, and one recommended valerian over melatonin for insomnia. The anxiety reduction during the day if you take it during the day was an added bonus. I've used it for probably 10 years, never a single problem.

If the OP is concerned about it, though, Google it and see what you find. Everyone IS different, after all.

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 07:19:05 PM »
Agreed!

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2019, 02:30:00 AM »
Sie können https://erektile-apotheke.de/sildenafil-citrate-50-mg/ suchen, um eine effektive Wiederherstellung der normalen Stromversorgung zu starten. Dieses Medikament ist bei Männern auf der ganzen Welt sehr beliebt und kann helfen, viele Familien vor dem Zusammenbruch zu retten. Befolgen Sie die Anweisungen Ihres Arztes.

Nahau

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 05:15:44 AM »
Es tut mir leid zu hören, dass die vorherige Behandlung nicht Ihren Freund helfen. Aber ja, wie alle Arzneimittel kann Kamagra persönliche Gegenanzeigen haben. Es ist inspirierend, dass Ihre Freunde nicht aufgeben. Ich bin sicher, dass Sie die richtige Lösung für ihn endlich finden. Sie können dies beispielsweise unter https://ed-oesterreichische.at/kamagra-kaufen/ nachlesen, um weitere Medikamente gegen erektile Dysfunktion zu erhalten und mehr über bevorstehende Termine zu erfahren.