Law School Discussion

Anyone already decide to postpone from September to December?

Booyakasha2

  • ****
  • 1109
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone already decide to postpone from September to December?
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 01:56:56 PM »
I dont know if there is a "huge" disadvantage in applying in december, I think it depends on your stats.  For those of you who think it is a disadvantage can you address Keeshis comments in this thread

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,68803.msg1617454.html#msg1617454

Well why not just take it in sept, then if you do badly, take it again in dec?  I think someone mentioned this earlier as well.  It seems that MOST schools (ones ill be applying to anyway ei. low t1/t2 schools) will take the higher score.

Re: Anyone already decide to postpone from September to December?
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 01:59:12 PM »


It is probaly better that they do delay. They are not sure what they want to do.

This is a little harsh.  But I have to agree with Joe (if this is your real name) that, with 4 and 1/2 weeks left, it is not the appropriate time to decide whether or not to cancel the September test.  I mean, if you decide now that you are not taking the Sept test, you will probably slack off a little, have a hard time getting back into studying, and find yourself in a very similar, if not the same, situation in late October.  It is probably to your interest to study as if you are taking the Sept test.  Who knows?  Something might click between now and then and suddenly you are scoring much higher.  But if not, you can always postpone the test the day before.  If, by that time, you really decide to postpone, you will be in a much better situation than if you postpone now and slack off, because you have been studying all this time.  Of course, my entire argument is based on the premise that, once you postpone now, you will have a false sense of security due to a later test date and slack off.  If you think you can study with the same intensity in both scenarios, by all means disregard my advice.

Re: Anyone already decide to postpone from September to December?
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 02:36:31 PM »
If you're considering postponing until December, then keep in mind that if you get sick or your car breaks down on test day in Dec 2006, hello Fall 2008.

spud1987

Re: Anyone already decide to postpone from September to December?
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 02:41:40 PM »

Not really, there are some thread about this topic and people some schools have confirmed their decision to choose the highest score. One discussion is here, but i've seen a more recent thread about this somewhere:
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,65246.0.html


I've seen a wealth of contradictory information on this subject even from within individual schools.

Schools are NOT REQUIRED TO USE THE HIGHEST LSAT score excusively in their acceptance decisions.

If you believe they are, work on your RC.  Or read the actual ABA policy change rather than trusting delusional LSD speculation.  Take your pick.

You're right, schools aren't required to take the highest score.  But if you take a look at the thread over in the application section you'll see that many schools have chosen to take the highest score.  These have all been verified by talking to the individual schools. 

Re: Anyone already decide to postpone from September to December?
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 02:47:17 PM »
And by all means, beastmaster, you are making an exaggerated claim when you said it is "pure speculation."  As long as one presents some legitimate support, his/her claim is not "pure speculation" as you said.

spud1987

Re: Anyone already decide to postpone from September to December?
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2006, 03:09:08 PM »
As long as one can present some legitimate support, his/her claim is not "pure speculation" as you said.


Yes, pure speculation was a bit overdramatic.  What I meant was "premature conclusion" because none of us truly know the score in this regard.

Note, I'm not arguing either side.  Some schools might consider only the highest score, some might consider all, some might continue averaging.  We just don't know what they will really do when it comes down to it.

You could say that about every aspect of the admissions process.  We don't know how heavily a schools views a PS or LOR's.  There's always going to be some speculation but its fairly safe to assume the schools that say they will use the highest of multiple lsat scores will.

LSATHORSE

Re: Anyone already decide to postpone from September to December?
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2006, 03:12:26 PM »
scores will be in 3 weeks after the test right?

JoeGibbsRedskins

Re: Anyone already decide to postpone from September to December?
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2006, 03:18:33 PM »


It is probaly better that they do delay. They are not sure what they want to do.

This is a little harsh.  But I have to agree with Joe (if this is your real name) that, with 4 and 1/2 weeks left, it is not the appropriate time to decide whether or not to cancel the September test.  I mean, if you decide now that you are not taking the Sept test, you will probably slack off a little, have a hard time getting back into studying, and find yourself in a very similar, if not the same, situation in late October.  It is probably to your interest to study as if you are taking the Sept test.  Who knows?  Something might click between now and then and suddenly you are scoring much higher.  But if not, you can always postpone the test the day before.  If, by that time, you really decide to postpone, you will be in a much better situation than if you postpone now and slack off, because you have been studying all this time.  Of course, my entire argument is based on the premise that, once you postpone now, you will have a false sense of security due to a later test date and slack off.  If you think you can study with the same intensity in both scenarios, by all means disregard my advice.

Yeah she was talking about the same thing a month ago.  Its obvious she is not intrested.

jrosh

Re: Anyone already decide to postpone from September to December?
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 04:08:08 PM »
There is no problem with taking the LSAT in December if you are not applying for the fall 2007 cycle, but if you are attempting to enter law school in fall 2007 you are in a sense shooting yourself in the foot. Especially if you have mediocre grades or lsat scores, you are basically assigning yourself to lower tiered schools. A good bit of law school offers are made right during the Thanksgiving period, and at least one Chapel Hill admissions officer has told me you are pushing it by taking the LSAT so late. So pick up the slack or wait another year. But if you dont feel confident in yourself perhaps you should be at the lower tiered schools anyway.

Yeah but these people like DCgirl have been on the board for months. They are not serious about going to law school. I think they are just confused
. How do you cancel with more than a month to go? There is not that much to study. After you do the bibles it just comes down to taking test.



It is probaly better that they do delay. They are not sure what they want to do.


Maybe I missed something here, but why is dcgirl's decision to delay a sign that she's not serious about law school, or anyone else for that matter?

JoeGibbsRedskins

Re: Anyone already decide to postpone from September to December?
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2006, 05:20:55 PM »
There is no problem with taking the LSAT in December if you are not applying for the fall 2007 cycle, but if you are attempting to enter law school in fall 2007 you are in a sense shooting yourself in the foot. Especially if you have mediocre grades or lsat scores, you are basically assigning yourself to lower tiered schools. A good bit of law school offers are made right during the Thanksgiving period, and at least one Chapel Hill admissions officer has told me you are pushing it by taking the LSAT so late. So pick up the slack or wait another year. But if you dont feel confident in yourself perhaps you should be at the lower tiered schools anyway.

Yeah but these people like DCgirl have been on the board for months. They are not serious about going to law school. I think they are just confused
. How do you cancel with more than a month to go? There is not that much to study. After you do the bibles it just comes down to taking test.



It is probaly better that they do delay. They are not sure what they want to do.


Maybe I missed something here, but why is dcgirl's decision to delay a sign that she's not serious about law school, or anyone else for that matter?

Hehe. Did u read the first post on this message? " I have been spending time shopping"

She made the same post a month earlier. How serious can you be about law school if shopping is more important ?

Did you even read the thread?