Law School Discussion

Post Your Interesting News Articles Here

A.

• View Profile
Re: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here
« Reply #1800 on: August 17, 2007, 06:30:11 AM »
If they can change their minds, fine.  But if they're somehow locked in, I don't like it.

« Reply #1801 on: August 17, 2007, 06:33:37 AM »
Kind of like parents naming their kids after *&^% they don't have.

Lexus, Mercedes, etc.

i'm late, but i don't mind the name Mercedes...especially when a Spanish person has the name bc it's pronounced so differently.  plus, Mercedes is such an old time name anyway.

I just think it's unrealistic to expect 13-year-olds to know what they want to do as a career.

yah

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: August 17, 2007, 06:36:03 AM »
But when negroes use it, it's for the car.

SKW

• View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 17, 2007, 06:42:51 AM »
I knew a girl who thought that Chlamydia was a pretty name for a girl.

It kinda is...

Alci--PLEASE tell me you're kidding!!!

Lol taken out of context, it's not bad at all.  Better than many names I hear.

Holy Moly...I will be praying for the future kids  :D

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 17, 2007, 06:43:50 AM »
Nah no worries about that.  The boy will be a II, and the girl will have some name that the wife and I agree on, like Camille.  If there's another boy, he will have my dad's name.  If there's another girl, I'll just killself (j/k).

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 17, 2007, 07:13:33 AM »
Nah no worries about that.  The boy will be a II, and the girl will have some name that the wife and I agree on, like Camille.  If there's another boy, he will have my dad's name.  If there's another girl, I'll just killself (j/k).

LOL, good plan.  I'm doing the same.  The boy is II and the girl is a name picked by the wife (though I reserve the right to object/veto).

« Reply #1806 on: August 17, 2007, 10:22:40 AM »

LOL, good plan.  I'm doing the same.  The boy is II and the girl is a name picked by the wife (though I reserve the right to object/veto).

nah, there will be no II in my fam, though I will (most likely) give my son the male version of my name (bc that's one of the few boy names I like). 

LadyKD

• And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1807 on: August 17, 2007, 01:08:46 PM »
Only in the freaking South-I swear SMH

Mistaken Ark. Law Would Let Toddlers Wed
By ANDREW DeMILLO

Associated Press Writer

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. A law passed this year allows Arkansans of any age even infants to marry if their parents agree, and the governor may have to call a special session to fix the mistake, lawmakers said Friday.

The legislation was intended to establish 18 as the minimum age to marry but also allow pregnant teenagers to marry with parental consent, bill sponsor Rep. Will Bond said. An extraneous "not" in the bill, however, allows anyone who is not pregnant to marry at any age if the parents allow it.

"It's clearly not the intent to allow 10-year-olds or 11-year-olds to get married," Bond said. "The legislation was screwed up."

The bill reads: "In order for a person who is younger than eighteen (18) years of age and who is not pregnant to obtain a marriage license, the person must provide the county clerk with evidence of parental consent to the marriage."

A code revision commission which fixes typographical and technical errors in laws had tried to correct the mistake, but a group of legislators said Friday the commission went beyond its powers.

"You're either pregnant or you're not pregnant," Sen. Dave Bisbee said. "Rarely will that be a typographical error."

The Arkansas Legislative Council asked the independent commission to reverse its correction. Several lawmakers said a special session may be necessary.

"We need a special session to fix this," Sen. Sue Madison said. "I am concerned about pedophiles coming to Arkansas to find parents who are willing to sign a very young child's consent."

Before the new law took effect July 31, girls could get married with parental consent at 16 and boys at 17.

The Legislature formally adjourned its session in May and is not scheduled to meet again until January 2009, unless Gov. Mike Beebe calls a special session.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: August 17, 2007, 01:40:41 PM »
Why is this problematic?

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: August 17, 2007, 05:07:01 PM »
Shocking Case: Legal Team Tasers Client

Posted Aug 16, 2007, 04:01 pm CDT
By Martha Neil

Proceedings have been delayed in a California misdemeanor case in which the defense is claiming that police brutalized their client with a stun gun during his arrest at a shopping mall last year. That's because the defense team is now being criminally investigated for allegedly violating human experimentation laws by repeatedly using a stun gun on their client themselves during an evidence-gathering effort in a law office.

As the Daily Bulletin of Ontario, Calif., recounts the story, "The revelation came after a bizarre court hearing on Wednesday in which the attorney, Peter Schlueter, played a videotape showing his police tactics expert, Roger Clark, repeatedly zapping the client inside Schlueter's San Bernardino office." Clark also reportedly tasered Schlueter and his twin brother.

The videotape was intended to be used as evidence in the West Valley Superior Court case, to disprove police claims about their use of a stun gun on defendant George Engman. However, Judge Katrina West postponed the case and appointed counsel for Clark after Deputy District Attorney Dan Ross said the law office stun gun session might have violated the state Protection of Human Subjects in Medical Experimentation Act.

"Outside the courtroom, Schlueter conceded the irony of his decision to subject his client to the same type of torment for which he has criticized police, but he insisted it was necessary for the truth to come out in the case," the newspaper reports. Clark reportedly shocked Engman three times, but the defense team claims he was shocked 10 to 14 times by police for prolonged periods.

"What they basically did was threaten my expert with prosecution if he continues to testify for the defense," says Schlueter. "They're trying to find a way to stop the truth from coming out."

http://www.abajournal.com/news/shocking_case_legal_team_tasers_client/