Law School Discussion

Post Your Interesting News Articles Here

crazy8

Re: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here
« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2006, 06:02:46 PM »
maybe it's just wishful thinking, but being a child of ps education, I honestly believe that you can allow your kids to "mingle" with "regular" kids, allow them to attend public schools and they will be fine.  As long as you make sure they are disciplined and do their work (basically provide them with good parenting) they'll be fine. 

I for one don't plan on buying my kids unnecessary ish so they can go to school showing off what their parents bought for them.  They will earn everything they get beyond the basics and they'll be fine.  Like my mother always reminded me, "you don't own anything, I own everything" :D

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2006, 06:03:47 PM »
I don't care about rich kids; My kids will not be rich.

edit: ditto jamaica.  in the words of Cosby to Theo--"you aren't rich; your mom and I are rich.  you have nothing"

crazy8

« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2006, 06:08:29 PM »
ha ha, my mom pro'ly stole it from Cosby. :D

« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2006, 06:10:42 PM »

edit: ditto jamaica.  in the words of Cosby to Theo--"you aren't rich; your mom and me are rich.  you have nothing"

I thought that they said it to Vanessa (ep where she tells ppl about the 11g painting)...I'm a Cosby Show freak,so sue me  ;) :D

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 02, 2006, 06:18:17 PM »

edit: ditto jamaica.  in the words of Cosby to Theo--"you aren't rich; your mom and me are rich.  you have nothing"

I thought that they said it to Vanessa (ep where she tells ppl about the 11g painting)...I'm a Cosby Show freak,so sue me  ;) :D

oh damn, you might have me, but I feel like he also said it to Theo.  where is rbg?!

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 02, 2006, 06:35:07 PM »

OK, then this has moved beyond J&J.  Most of those kids are well off.

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2006, 06:37:49 PM »

OK, then this has moved beyond J&J.  Most of those kids are well off.

I think you are the only person who cared two farthings for Jack + Jill--I was talking about what I was going to do with my kids and you kept bringing J&J up

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2006, 06:56:41 PM »
Lol. Listen.  You started talking about forming a "new group."  I thought this new group was to expose well-off black kids to "regular" blacks, since that's what we'd been talking about for the past 3 pages.  Just because someone doesn't know how to transition topics... :P

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2006, 09:18:16 PM »
I kept telling you I don't care about rich kids.   >:( keep up  :D

faith2005

« Reply #179 on: August 03, 2006, 01:04:45 PM »
craziness in San Jose...

New hate crime alleged
By Sean Webby and Leslie Griffy
Mercury News
Previously: Santa Clara Sikh stabbed in apparent hate crime
ATTACK ON BLACK MAN FOLLOWS SIKH STABBING

Shouting ``White Power'' and firing off Nazi salutes, two men attacked an African-American man in downtown Mountain View over the weekend, authorities reported Tuesday. It was the second alleged hate crime to come to light in Santa Clara County in two days.

Joseph Adam Krueger, 21, and Jonathan Rhodes, 18, both from the Central Valley city of Ceres, face up to nine years in state prison if convicted on assault and hate crime charges.

They are being held in Santa Clara County Jail, San Jose, in lieu of $20,000 bail each and are expected to be arraigned today in the Palo Alto branch of Santa Clara County Superior Court.

Rick Callender, president of the San Jose/Silicon Valley branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said he was appalled by the allegations and outraged at what he felt was a low bail.

``They need a six-figure minimum,'' Callender said. ``These are the kind of people who will strike fear in the hearts of African-Americans as they walk down the street. They will have people asking themselves ``Do I bring my family down there?' ''

Also expected to be arraigned today, in San Jose, is 20-year-old Everett Thompson, who allegedly stabbed his neighbor with a steak knife in Santa Clara on Sunday because he wrongly believed the Sikh grandfather belonged to the Taliban.

The Mountain View incident occurred before the one in Santa Clara. About 10 p.m. Saturday in Pioneer Park, Krueger and Rhodes -- who had been working on a nearby construction site -- assaulted another man, apparently over an argument about talking disrespectfully to a woman. That man ran away. But the 19-year-old Mountain View victim -- who was not identified -- confronted the pair.

``Who's talking . . .? This is White Power!'' one of the suspects allegedly shouted.

Then, as they called him racial epithets and threatened his life, they attacked, authorities said. Krueger allegedly held on to the victim's hair and punched him, holding a knife, as the victim begged them to stop. The two punctuated the attack by yelling white supremacist slogans and Nazi salutes, officials said.

Police arrived during the attack and arrested the suspects.

The victim suffered minor injuries and was not hospitalized.

Meanwhile, the victim in the Santa Clara stabbing, Iqbal Singh, remains in the hospital; a gash on his neck is slowly healing.

Reports of the crime shocked the suspect's close-knit family. Thompson's cousin Gary Lopez described a large multicultural family, that includes a Sikh great-uncle in Los Angeles.

``This is not something a sane person would do,'' Lopez said. ``This isn't something that the Everett I know would do.''

But Thompson began to change two years ago, Lopez said. He was arrested for crouching on his hands and knees in the middle of a South Bay street and barking like a dog, Lopez said. The family intervened and Thompson began taking medication.

Lopez could not explain Thompson's alleged attack on Singh.

Jay Boyarsky, who is overseeing the prosecution of both cases for the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office, said no matter what their motivation, the suspects' alleged behavior was unacceptable.

``Although these cases present very different facts, they remind all for us that we are vulnerable to hate,'' Boyarsky said. ``And both cases present a challenge for us to work toward a more just community free from racism, bias and prejudice.''

There has been a troubling convergence of hate crimes recently, along with the widely reported anti-Semitic tirade by Hollywood star Mel Gibson.

Experts said the recent spate of hate crimes are disparate, unconnected incidents. But none should be excused or rationalized because their perpetrators may be mentally ill, drunk or from a far away place, according to Jonathan Bernstein, the area's director of the Anti-Defamation League.

``All of these are ways for us to feel more comfortable about our situation,'' Bernstein said. `` `I don't need to get so deeply involved with this, it's an aberration,' they might say. When in fact we all do get involved in this fight.''