9 (10%)
8 (8.9%)
1 (1.1%)
1 (1.1%)
0 (0%)
8+
2 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Women - How many babies do you plan on having?

Autumn

Re: Women - How many babies do you plan on having?
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2006, 08:59:22 PM »
0. I'm not quite the motherly type.

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2006, 09:03:42 PM »
What would be good for the republic is fewer folks having kids. It would reduce the strain on our resources, and even allow us to accept more immigrants without as much. Though making them "guest workers" would be a terrible idea: cf. France and Germany. But I digress. The country does not need more abused, neglected, impoverished children, except perhaps as fodder for the military. I have a proposal, in fact: to all who desperately want children, and can't bear the thought of not delivering a babe yourself: adopt one child, even if you must have one or multiple of your own. As long as you are willing to adopt a child of color, you will be doing the world, the child, and yourself a service.

Interesting...

1) Do you advocate only the well-to-do having kids then?
2) Why is adopting a child of color doing "yourself a service?"

I also find fault with saying that by adopting a child of color, you will do the world a service. Lots of people think they are being altruistic by adopting infants or toddlers of color from abroad. Here and abroad, the children that really need help are older children who aren't "cute" or assimilate as easily as a baby or toddler. If you're feeling altruistic, why not adopt an older child from foster care or an older child from abroad? I don't find anything wrong with adopting younger children of color, but don't pretend you're doing the world a service.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2006, 09:07:16 PM »
What would be good for the republic is fewer folks having kids. It would reduce the strain on our resources, and even allow us to accept more immigrants without as much. Though making them "guest workers" would be a terrible idea: cf. France and Germany. But I digress. The country does not need more abused, neglected, impoverished children, except perhaps as fodder for the military. I have a proposal, in fact: to all who desperately want children, and can't bear the thought of not delivering a babe yourself: adopt one child, even if you must have one or multiple of your own. As long as you are willing to adopt a child of color, you will be doing the world, the child, and yourself a service.

Interesting...

I also find fault with saying that by adopting a child of color, you will do the world a service. Lots of people think they are being altruistic by adopting infants or toddlers of color from abroad. Here and abroad, the children that really need help are older children who aren't "cute" or assimilate as easily as a baby or toddler. If you're feeling altruistic, why not adopt an older child from foster care or an older child from abroad? I don't find anything wrong with adopting younger children of color, but don't pretend you're doing the world a service.

Fair enough, but the real reason I brought that up was that an argument can be made that adopting a child of color is doing the world a service (i.e. they may be more likely to become criminals), but I have a tough time imagining how this is doing yourself a service anymore than adopting a white kid.

------------

Since I'm in this thread I'm not a girl, but I want at least 2 and no more than 4, 3 would be ideal.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2006, 11:20:49 PM »
Exactly two kids. My fiance wants three, but I think I would need a huge incentive (read: stay at home dad/on the job childcare facilities) to even consider that. The only time I would probably actually want a third was if the first two were boys. I might try again for a girl. 

so, if 2 girls, u wouldnt try for a boy?

sexist!

and i think dbgirl should have at least 4 more...

;D

just got back from the bookstore where some lady was letting her brat run around, nit yelling, but SCREAMING.

i iwsh he woulda gone and played in traffic...

There is a sign in the nail salon I go to that says "If you can't control your children, please leave them at home."
So today there was this little boy just wondering around pulling bottles of nail polish off the wall.
The woman (I think she was the owner) was trying to get the kid's attention, but he was ignoring her.
She said "Whose baby is that?" There were several women there at the time and no one claimed him.
The owner had to tell the kid to stop ... finally some time later the boy found his way to his mother's side, it's weird she somehow didn't "see" him running around acting up.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2006, 11:22:44 PM »
Exactly two kids. My fiance wants three, but I think I would need a huge incentive (read: stay at home dad/on the job childcare facilities) to even consider that. The only time I would probably actually want a third was if the first two were boys. I might try again for a girl. 

sexist!

;D

just got back from the bookstore where some lady was letting her brat run around, nit yelling, but SCREAMING.

I just noticed that part! Are you trying to give me a stroke ???
Maybe one more. Maybe.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2006, 11:28:47 PM »
I'm probably not going to have any. I'll just be too old by the time I get my career started and while I've taught and like kids, I can't see myself having my own. I don't really think that kids/grandkids taking care of parents is as common these days as it used to be, so you can't expect it even if you do have kids. Most households now have two working adult, and it's very difficult for one person to take off work for an extended period of time to care for their parents. Unfortunately, just inviting your parent into your home may not be enough if you can't be there to make sure they don't fall or whatnot.

I take care of my grandma ... and I expect my kids/grandkids to take care of me. By "take care" I mean taking people places, providing them w/company and entertainment perhaps helping with household projects and if someone gets sick taking them to the doctor.
I'm not talking about 24/7 guardianship. As for physical care, if I need it, I expect the kids/grandkids to ensure that I have a home nurse or someone who can help me. 

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2006, 04:08:05 AM »

sexist!

;D

I just noticed that part! Are you trying to give me a stroke ???
Maybe one more. Maybe.

im thinking a little boy.

name him blue...

Lionel Hutz

• aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2006, 05:22:46 AM »

Interesting...

Ok.I am very tired right now, but, to try to respond to your questions about my preachy littly screed: 1. I do not think only the well-to-do should have kids, only the people who will spend the time they need to with their kids. That's obviously n impossible goal. 2. Well, I just think adopting is doing yourself a favor in the sense that I think kindness to others does yourself a favor. The color part is a dif. ball of wax. Cruella, you are right about older children.

paigeroo

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2006, 05:54:59 AM »

Interesting...

Fair enough, but the real reason I brought that up was that an argument can be made that adopting a child of color is doing the world a service (i.e. they may be more likely to become criminals), but I have a tough time imagining how this is doing yourself a service anymore than adopting a white kid.

------------

Since I'm in this thread I'm not a girl, but I want at least 2 and no more than 4, 3 would be ideal.

Practice prejudice much??  MY GOD.  And they let you in law school???  Just because you are a person of color does not mean you are more likely to commit crimes.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2006, 08:56:48 AM »

Interesting...

------------

Practice prejudice much??  MY GOD.  And they let you in law school???  Just because you are a person of color does not mean you are more likely to commit crimes.

This is not prejudice, and actually in this country people of color commit crimes more often than whites - this is a statistic, not an opinion...